Swollen battery and disposal

Good morning all :slight_smile:

I’ve been given the job of fixing a friend’s mid 2009 13" plastic MacBook.

The battery has swollen to the extent of pushing the left side of the trackpad out of the casing.
I’m ordering a new battery from Macfixit and I know how to replace it BUT I don’t know what to do with the old battery.
I know they need to be handled with care and can’t be disposed of in the garbage. Does anyone know where I can get rid of it? I’ve checked recycling depots and most will accept “ordinary” types, but make no mention of swollen lithium ion batteries.

I’m in Melbourne (Cheltenham area). If anyone knows of a place where I can get rid of the thing, can you please let me know?

Thanks for any and all suggestions

Quick Google search brought this up:

Computer Batteries are accepted in the Battery World, MRI e-cycle solutions and SUEZ programs above, and with computers and other accessories in various computer recycling or re-use programs.

I don’t know if it’s global, but Japan Apple stores have a policy, if it is an apple part, they will recycle it. I’ve brought in all sorts of bits and pieces over the years. Most recently the burnt out original video card from my Mac Pro 3,1. I took it in, and they took it cheerfully.

I’m pretty sure Battery World have bins for them - no charge - but check first. :slight_smile:

https://www.batteryworld.com.au/Recycling

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I was mainly concerned whether recyclers would accept it because of the swelling.
I called Battery World and yes, they advised they will take it.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

2 Likes