The best things about video stores

I don’t have a fancy VCR with TBC unfortunately… :frowning: It’s a Sharp VCH710X, 6 head, stereo sound. As for digitising - I just use a handcam with analogue to digital pass thru - Canon MVX430.

I have actually just been considering what capture cards I could instal in my Mac Pro to do the job of the handcam - and to include TBC - but seems they still hold high prices…

I had a colleague years ago (early 90’s) who’s Dad owned a Video Store in Geelong (don’t remember the chain). Their busiest day of the year was Christmas day, people would be lined up out the door to rent something rather than watch whatever the hell was on Christmas night.

I haven’t done anything to try cleaning the footage up yet… but just came across this from one of my VHS tapes, circa 1991, and felt this thread calling me:

For some reason I had taped Sale of the Century’s “Champion of Champions” competition (at least 1 episode), and found it contained therein. As such, I’d place it from I think 1998. It is announcing the arrival of the Civic Video chain to Darwin, including a competition for a trip to Bali! (Only a few bucks travel from Darwin…!)

For some strange reason I thought Civic Video were around longer. But I remembered that the one in Malak before Civic Video was actually Video Connection. That was a huge store. Probably the biggest in Darwin (or close) It dwarfed the Video 2000 around the corner.

Ahhh, actually my above figure was wrong - tape was from 1994. Confirmed by a competition date on another ad. :slight_smile:

Video 2000 Casuarina was huge… think Centrelink moved in?