The end of Pocket Weather Australia

WYe. Its economic term is “crowding out”. It’s what happens when government extends itself in areas done perfectly well by the private sector already.

Yeah.

I don’t really see the point in developing a whole new app from scratch when there’s an existing app with infrastructure already on the market they could take over.

It might be hard for them to monetize on the purchase though: let’s say, for argument’s sake, they purchase Pocket Weather and associated infrastructure for $10,000. They won’t make any money from existing customers who’ve already purchased the app, so they’ll need to maintain it and rely on new app purchases to bring in money. There’s also the option of moving to a subscription model, but that may piss off customers who’ve bought the app and are suddenly being made to pay again.

My whole point being though is Shifty Jelly shopped the app around, and if Bjango wanted to make a weather app, they could’ve given that consideration. Maybe they did, I dunno.

I’m always happy to pay for apps developed by Australian developers, and I am not price-sensitive to Australian apps, but then I used to pay good money for apps on Palm OS; iOS apps are relatively cheap.

3 Likes

If Bjango make a weather app I’ll take a look, but it’s going to take a lot to move me away from the verbal abuse Siri gives me when I ask for a weather report from Carrot. It makes my day!

1 Like

Palm OS apps weren’t something I bought without consideration and I didn’t treat them as disposable in the same way I treat many cheap iOS apps. I treated them in a similar way to expensive desktop apps, purchase decisions were researched (at least somewhat) and then I’d buy the app that suited my usage as much as my budget allowed.

With iOs I’m more likely to go… “well it’s only a dollar or few… why not try it and see what it’s like, if it doesn’t work out I’ll look for something else”.

2 Likes

This is a reply to @snarl from here.

I just double checked, and while I’m using BOM data within Carrot Weather itself, I don’t believe it’s pushing that data to the Apple Watch complication that I’m using as I don’t have an Ultrapremium/Tier 2 subscription.

But as you’ve probably read, Carrot Weather has no peers when it comes to being an weather app, irrespective of what data source you’re using with it. It’s feature-rich on both iOS and the Apple Watch, is frequently updated both with usability or new iOS/watchOS features, and offers a plethora of customisation options that will suit basically any use case you care to throw at it. It’s so good, I basically never have to open the actual app on my iPhone unless I’m looking at the weather for a specific day a few days from now (and even then, I could do the same thing on my Apple Watch).

I think it’s disingenuous to say that any weather app is only good as its data. That’s true to some degree, of course, but in my mind the usability of an app is just as important. No use having the best data if it’s only presented in a very specific way, is a complete pain to use, or the app itself is a complete eyesore.

I’ve never looked at any alternate weather app, because I haven’t needed to. The only thing Pocket Weather doesn’t do for me right now is Apple Watch support in the form of complications, and Carrot Weather covers that niche perfectly.

Thanks @bennyling. You made me realise I have misunderstood the Tier 2 subscription. I had assumed alternate sources for the watch meant different to what is used on the phone. Whereas you suggest it is different to the default source offered by Carrot Weather.

So Carrot Weather will cost $7.99 upfront, plus $17.49 per year in order to be able to access BOM data on both phone and watch. That is rather pricey.

I do understand your point, however why would I use an app if I knew that the data was second class? If I do not use the app, widget or complication, then the quality of the UI and user experience would be academic. It would be a dead parrot (with apologies to Monty Python)

However, if the best data is provided, then to me, the usability is everything.

Ouch. I had not looked into the BOM access, and TBH I’d rather not pay for that, when we have access to it via other apps at no additional charge.

I’ve got my Netatmo all set up here so for me the local weather is available, so I’ve gone back to using OzWeather on phone and watch. but gawd, the phone UI is ugly as sin. Carrot weather is much prettier.

Willy Weather is beautiful and much closer to how Pocket Weather used to be. I can’t get over how ugly OzWeather is, so I don’t use it.

2 Likes

I find weather apps are an education in how different developers have approached key elements of app design. They are all attempting to present the same information in the most useful way.

I have now looked at Willy Weather based on the recommendation of @AVC and am impressed by the amount of information provided and by the quality of the information (BOM data). I don’t believe the UI is up to the standard of Pocket Weather, but to be fair, the UI is harder to realise when presenting more info.

It does need to be supplemented by a smarter app such as Rain Parrot for localised rainfall predictions

The free BOM app is good for those who do not want too much detail. Its simple interface provides sufficient information for most people.

2 Likes

I notice it has over 112,000 ratings. To be, that sounds like they have bought ratings. I highly doubt that 112,000 people have installed Willy Weather.

I don’t really care what ratings it has. I have used it for a while now and really like it.

2 Likes

:astonished: :weary:

:cry:

Maybe I should have rushed a little more, it’s amazing how quickly that year disappeared…

I’ve tried using the BOM app and don’t like the way it presents data. I was giving it a shot for a while, but I don’t like it.

I’ve just moved to Willy Weather and it’s looking pretty good. I’ll give it a little bit longer, but will likely be paying for the ad-free version very soon.

1 Like

Pocket Weather’s end made the Guardian today

TL:DR Aus Weather is their pick

1 Like

I went with Weathermate Pro. Gives all the info you want or need in a basic or prettier UI, and also includes links to somewhere to get AQI, which I like, given that my lungs don’t like pollens or pollutants. I should also say I have it set to access my own weather station, but also have stations further afield at the swipe of the screen. Its no fuss. I didnt mind paying.

1 Like

I’ve been using the BOM mobile site saved as a shortcut. It’s pretty good!
https://weather.bom.gov.au

5 Likes

I like Accuweather, and the brilliant Windy.