The end of Pocket Weather Australia

Thanks @bennyling. You made me realise I have misunderstood the Tier 2 subscription. I had assumed alternate sources for the watch meant different to what is used on the phone. Whereas you suggest it is different to the default source offered by Carrot Weather.

So Carrot Weather will cost $7.99 upfront, plus $17.49 per year in order to be able to access BOM data on both phone and watch. That is rather pricey.

I do understand your point, however why would I use an app if I knew that the data was second class? If I do not use the app, widget or complication, then the quality of the UI and user experience would be academic. It would be a dead parrot (with apologies to Monty Python)

However, if the best data is provided, then to me, the usability is everything.

Ouch. I had not looked into the BOM access, and TBH I’d rather not pay for that, when we have access to it via other apps at no additional charge.

I’ve got my Netatmo all set up here so for me the local weather is available, so I’ve gone back to using OzWeather on phone and watch. but gawd, the phone UI is ugly as sin. Carrot weather is much prettier.

Willy Weather is beautiful and much closer to how Pocket Weather used to be. I can’t get over how ugly OzWeather is, so I don’t use it.

2 Likes

I find weather apps are an education in how different developers have approached key elements of app design. They are all attempting to present the same information in the most useful way.

I have now looked at Willy Weather based on the recommendation of @AVC and am impressed by the amount of information provided and by the quality of the information (BOM data). I don’t believe the UI is up to the standard of Pocket Weather, but to be fair, the UI is harder to realise when presenting more info.

It does need to be supplemented by a smarter app such as Rain Parrot for localised rainfall predictions

The free BOM app is good for those who do not want too much detail. Its simple interface provides sufficient information for most people.

2 Likes

I notice it has over 112,000 ratings. To be, that sounds like they have bought ratings. I highly doubt that 112,000 people have installed Willy Weather.

I don’t really care what ratings it has. I have used it for a while now and really like it.

2 Likes

:astonished: :weary:

:cry:

Maybe I should have rushed a little more, it’s amazing how quickly that year disappeared…

I’ve tried using the BOM app and don’t like the way it presents data. I was giving it a shot for a while, but I don’t like it.

I’ve just moved to Willy Weather and it’s looking pretty good. I’ll give it a little bit longer, but will likely be paying for the ad-free version very soon.

1 Like

Pocket Weather’s end made the Guardian today

TL:DR Aus Weather is their pick

1 Like

I went with Weathermate Pro. Gives all the info you want or need in a basic or prettier UI, and also includes links to somewhere to get AQI, which I like, given that my lungs don’t like pollens or pollutants. I should also say I have it set to access my own weather station, but also have stations further afield at the swipe of the screen. Its no fuss. I didnt mind paying.

1 Like

I’ve been using the BOM mobile site saved as a shortcut. It’s pretty good!
https://weather.bom.gov.au

5 Likes

I like Accuweather, and the brilliant Windy.

I have an Apple Watch which is getting its weather from the Apple app but use pocket weather for my main. I use the rain radar an awful lot as I walk a lot and use it to figure out how to walk between storms. Which one would be good for this? I also travel a lot so have weather for multiple locations at any time.

Carrot Weather + Rain Parrot.

If you want BoM data, pony up for the subscription in Carrot Weather — you’ll want a tier 1 subscription if you want BoM data on your iPhone, or a tier 2 subscription if you want BoM data on the Apple Watch app.

This recommendation may change in a month or two, once Bjango come out with whatever they’re cooking up.

Can’t believe BOM doesn’t support Apple Watch yet

2 Likes

Looks interesting. Willy Weather isn’t really doing it for me, although is what I am using for the moment. bjango have always made good stuff so I’ll have to have a closer look at this one :smiley:

Started a gofundme to see if they’ll keep it going. Maybe too little too late but who knows!
https://www.gofundme.com/f/pocketweather?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1&fbclid=IwAR1taqwLRcbDhK88WphpttOHTPSf_4qsQrzuYP1ZmD0SN8luSktUrO6qWVw