The end of Pocket Weather Australia

I did read about that, it might finally mean I can upgrade my old version of Office.

1 Like

Snowflake obviously consumed a massive amount of time before and just after it was released. I expect that Bjango has since been busy maintaining other apps, maybe creating new apps, and also updating apps, particularly the Mac apps, ready for the release of MacOS Big Sur and Apple Silicon.

I am optimistic that attention will return to Snowflake in due course. It is only at version 1.11. Remember that Pocket Weather AU took several years to evolve to its final version, with some very long pauses along the way.

1 Like

bjango has made some excellent apps… and in the end, abandons all of them in favour of something new. I’ve bought nearly everything they created, and all of what I bought is now unusable. Thats why I didnt get snowflake.

3 Likes

I still use Willy Weather as my Pocketweather replacement. Carrot weather is alright once you switch off all the rubbish comments, but I found it was heavy on the battery. And there’s always OzWeather which isnt pretty/fancy but does the job.

1 Like

I have Snowflake and paid for the subscription for it as well. I find that I don’t really use it much and simply downloaded the BOM’s own app. I prefer the rain radar of this and it cost me nothing.
Sadly I think I’m done with Snowflake.
Pocketweather was perfect.

1 Like

Weatherzone and WillyWeather have both upped their yearly subscription for the basic no ads version to $5.99. I was using Weatherzone but not re-subscribed as waiting for weather apps to start releasing updated widgets to decide which I will use, still miss Pocket Weather!

1 Like

Also using BOM App.
It has all the details I want & yes, the radar is good.
Best of all, it’s free!

I quite like Windy. I’m not subscribed but you can have the freebie forever (at the moment, it could change of course) I have joined the https://windy.com website too

I also use Weathermate (buy once) for Wunderground access to local stations

Bjango and Shifty Jelly from memory are particularly bad for building wonderful apps, which we duly pay full price for, no questions asked and then about 12-18 months later (or whenever the dev thinks they need some headspace) it’s no longer updated and whilst still usable on later iOS versions the changing compatibility requirements and updates required with each iOS major release make it decidedly harder to extract medium or long term value out of the purchases.

Honestly I’d welcome the opportunity to buy the back catalog and get it all up to snuff and have it released as a collection $25-35 initial purchase price and a $10 p/year sub. done.

that way, the sales of the products respectable as they are can continue and the ongoing costs of running the back end are partially amortized which will take some strain off the Devs, which have and continue to be the reason we all choose to be on Apple’s Ecosystem due to the surprise and delight of the wonderful creations they craft with skill and aplomb, transforming everyday needs and wants into polished powerful apps.

It started with you the developer, and it also starts with us the consumer too. in order to find the happy medium we must have the conversation and in the dialog work out the hard facts and put our money where our mouths are (or words).

What are people’s favourite weather App for the Apple Watch? I’ve tried a few (eg Willy, but found it buggy on the Watch) but none where great.

I use OzWeather on Watch. It seems to be the most reliable.

Thanks, yes downloaded that and it seems to be solid so far.

1 Like

Another weather to keep an eye on:

Seems a bit basic at the moment but hope more updates roll out, has home screen widgets but requires a subscription for these. Has watch complications but no iPad version. Will keep an eye on it as has a nice clean interface.

1 Like

And another one. Been using it for a while.

I don’t much like the subscription model. I downloaded and find that there is no iPad version, either… think I’ll stick with what I have.

1 Like

That looks really good, no radar built in though. Will keep an eye on that one too. :+1:

It does look nice but can’t believe no radar especially for $0.99 a month.

It’d be good if they offered a $9.99 a year cost. I just hate having another monthly subscription cost.

1 Like