The new Apple TV

This sort of discussion happens every time Apple prices go up in Australia and most times Apple seem to charge more than is directly justified by the conversion costs plus GST.

I’m going with Apple Tax too…

“Statutory” implies something enforced by law. If it’s simply an Apple tax or their built-in recovery of the exchange rate loss, then those aren’t statutory fees at all. This is the first time I’m heard of the term applied in consumer tech gear. It’s mainly reserved for motor vehicles and property!

Invoices when they ship will tell the real story. It may well be a misprint copied from another country in error.

Just a random guess - perhaps this Apple taxing some other fee or tax, like corporation tax, and arbitrarily spreading it over all the products they sell in Australia? Of course, that’s assuming they pay any corporation tax…

Preparing for shipment. Huzzah!

2 Likes

I jumped on chat for the first time ever to ask when stores are going to receive stock. They checked my local store and there’s no info available to them at the moment. They’re guessing any time within the next week.

Mine too :smile:

Strangely when I used the chat on the Apple store website, they said that they only deal with online and cannot even tell me whether the new Apple TV would be purchasable in any stores at all.

Saw on ozbargain that Target on line had an xbox1 bundle at $321 yesterday. Puts things in perspective.

Certainly. There are better and cheaper options out there if your priority is videogames.

From live chat

Thank you , so the new Apple TV will be released later this week in Retail Store. At this time we don’t have a set date.

2 Likes

Reports are saying Friday in the US, so with a bit of luck it’ll mean Friday for us too!

Please enjoy some pizza while we wait: :pizza:

1 Like

I just got a delivery notification on mine for tomorrow (30th).

1 Like

Same here!

Meanwhile, the review embargo has lifted.

Just got my invoice - no mention of statutory fees. Just a charge of $244.55 plus 10% GST.

1 Like

Some videos are making their way to YouTube now. I can’t wait to see if there’s any Australian launch apps like iView. Also dying to see if I can run apps from different stores at the same time like I can on iOS. Imagine having iView, BBC iPlayer (one day), and Hulu all on the one screen!

Oh man. If Murdoch didn’t buy Nat Geo, a native Nat Geo app would’ve had me sold instantly.

Just got my invoice too. Arriving by the 30th.

I might just go in on Friday and pick one up, 64gb of course

Received in depot, woo.

1 Like