The new Apple TV

I guess there’s some masochists who want to subject themselves to The Bachelorette again.

1 Like

My aTV is to come tomorrow… via Startrak. The local drivers are less than reliable. I dont much like TNT but they are better at bothering to turn up. GAHHHHHHHHHH!

Nice find!

RE Tenplay… I liked Extant, and I still like NCIS… the other stuff… leave it out.

Specifically the Watch or just iOS app? Remote app is baked into the Watch, not a subset of the iPhone app.

Interesting to know. I know my parent have long had trouble with the Ten app on multiple platforms, where frequently videos won’t play. It’s like the files the apps link to aren’t there. Really not surprised his hasn’t changed at all.

That’s interesting. That’s a bit like one of the AndroidTV features I like where above the apps it has a line of suggested media to watch from all the apps you have installed. I liked that, especially when it links to things I’m part way through and such.

Didn’t realise you could put stuff into the top row.

Yep, it works for me, but a few shows don’t. I went to watch Gogglebox and it didn’t play, but when I used the search feature to find it it wasn’t there. This makes me think it was removed from TenPlay but they forgot to remove the tile.

Also, if you’re using a service like GetFlix you’ll have to set it to make TenPlay works. I think it uses the same content delivery service as some US services so you have to choose either to get those US services or get TenPlay.

Here’s a good page to bookmark. Someone is collecting all the side loadable apps for ATV as they become available. As of now provenance and that BBC iPlayer app that made the news is there. I’ve ordered a USB C cable to give it a go.

Another question.

I have a Kenwood HDMI amplifier daisy chained between my Apple TV and TV. Will the Siri remote control the volume on my amp?

Ha. Gruber and Guy English just answered on the latest Talk Show.

Update on getting the new remote to work with Samsung Anynet+.

I have the volume up and down working, however have turned off the ‘control TV’ function for the apple tv remote as when it is on, the samsung receiver keeps changing inputs every time that I hit ‘menu’ on the ATV remote (very frustrating and unusable). It also messed with the volume up/down on the receiver and keeps pushing it down to the minimum value (i.e., volume is at zero).

Yet to find a solution on line. Anyone else have any luck with samsung Anynet+?

The kids played games for the first time tonight and loved them! I will say that the additional download/wait time once an app has loaded and you get into it for the first time is a nuisance. I bought Beat Sport this afternoon and we’re still yet to play it as it needs to load the ‘additional content’.

Guess I will b finding out later today (assuming Startrak does the right thing and actually delivers. A friend in Sydney didnt get his, due yesterday, it was supposed to go to his work but didnt, and is sitting in a depot somewhere). Anyhow, I have a Samsung TV and BR player.

Does the old remote work with the new TV? I’m not into Siri at all, so wouldnt miss it.

And PLex is on the app store for aTV :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, apparently it does. Haven’t tried myself, but they mentioned it on The Talk Show.

Oh man. New Plex app is very nice.

Games are great. A bit like Wii. Kids love them. Barbie and Care Bears ftw.

Plex is great, but I seem to be having troubles with subtitles.

Is anyone else experiencing issues? Subtitles seem to work with movies, but not TV shows.

Can anyone else confirm?

If there was a way to stay logged into an Australian account but have US Siri this thing would be perfect in my eyes. I’m hoping someone out there can work out how to do that.

Having just set up mine last night, I gotta say one of the biggest advantages is being able to mix and match apps from different country app stores and have them all right there on the home screen.

However, given the introduction of Location Services to Apple TV (correct me if i’m wrong and it was already there), how long till apps like Hulu, HBO Now, Showtime etc. start to use it to block non-US users. I imagine getting round this would then be a lot harder (jailbreak required?) than the simple DNS services.

I don’t feel any need to have location services active. Also not using Siri (played with it a bit on my phone but haven’t found it that useful overall). Not sure about the remote control… I’m a bit gobsmacked that it can control my ancient Samsung TV as well, and I do like that aspect. Otherwise I’m using the old controller. I know how it works, its familiar and easy.

Tenplay is being difficult. It should not make a difference that I have entered the smartDNS into settings, Tenplay gives me nothing. Its either a not available, or an error.

As far as I can tell Location Services is just used for determining the time zone in order to set the clock, so I also turned it off. I was thinking in terms of the app refusing to work unless its switched on.

Also agree that the remote control controlling the TV is fantastic. Means I only have to pick up one remote to switch on and off the both the Apple TV and the TV itself.