Thoughts on Cable vs ADSL2+

I was looking at Cable as my ADSL2 is sometimes unreliable, particularly after rain… However both Telstra and Optus say I can’t get it where I live. I thought if you had Foxtel cable you could get cable internet? (I don’t have Foxtel but people in the building do and I have the connection…)

I also pull in about 110 to 115 here in Adelaide, so that is going to suck when we move to Lakes Entrance.

But the golfing, motor cycle riding, and fishing will be worth it.

Not always, Foxtel can come in via satellite.

If your address comes up as unserviceable for cable, try the addresses either side of you. If those come up as serviceable, it’s likely you are as well.

It’s definitely not via Satellite, I’m practically in the CBD. Are there cable equivalents of exchanges, and can they be at capacity?

It can still be satellite, I’m 5km outside the CBD and some of my neighbours have satellite. In fact I have seen satellite dishes around the city.

Cable uses nodes, which are more like a few streets or a neighbourhood. They can’t be out of capacity in the same way an exchange runs out of ports - but they can get congested.

From Adelaide to Lakes Entrance, your off to the big smoke.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ohh, the sports will be sublime at Lakes. Good luck with the move.

You mean Adelaide is not rural? :wink:

Stop insulting rural!

I just got hooked up with Telstra Velocity (we moved into a Smart Community). Velocity is different from cable, as it’s FTTP.

Not the cheapest internet going around, and we had to pay $20 extra for the faster speed, but gosh it’s FAST!

I have seen the future, and it is good!

Unlike anything else I’ve ever used (except perhaps TPG 10/10 Ethernet service at one of my clients’ premises.)

On a side note - I found it super weird that a product that they terminate in an ethernet plug inside (a la NBN) still required PPPoE to connect!

Depends on the ISP. Some ISPs use IPoE so the authenticate at the NTD.

Having a good day today.

Try again to post that…

[/url]

While we are talking internet connectivity… I feel the pain… Look at the blog post here that looks at my speedtest results compared to the NBN connection my mother recently got.

I am about 3-4 months out from moving into a new house which is still being built and that house is in an FTTH Opticomm estate. Cannot wait to move to 100Mbps/50Mbps service. Anything faster than my ADSL2+ service would be good.

As to original poster, cable is going to be better. Although I have heard horror stories with slow performance on the Optus Cable network, not heard anything about Telstra Cable performance (always check whirlpool.net.au for any new complaint threads).

Well finally it’s connected. The 10 days turned into nearly two months, but we now have cable. 35mbps is what we are getting now which is around 7 times faster than we had previously

ADSL & cable is ok, but doesn’t compare to NBN on most occasions. In saying that, I’d go with the best value ADSL/cable deal to fill the void (i.e. ‘no contract’) until NBN is available in your area…

While I can’t confirm, I’d say that just about every company out there would transition you to NBN if it became available during your contract period. The only time that would be a potential issue would be if you wanted to switch providers at the same time. Even then there are some options that might help with that transition.

As it stands, NBN rollout seems to take quite a while, so unless they are physically building (or about to start) in your area you’d almost see out a 24 month contract term before it was available! :stuck_out_tongue:

Gotta be happy with that! We moved from 4MBit ADSL to 100MBit cable and it was magic. We then moved into a different cable area and it’s more congested :frowning: It’s still pretty good but I get sad when my downloads are only running at 2MB/s now :stuck_out_tongue: The really sad part is the upload rate. I’d love to sync/backup more of my stuff online but with such a small upload pipe it’s not at all ideal.

In our case NBN is scheduled to start deployment in 2H 2018… so one day… maybe we might get something. Either a HFC upgrade or Fibre?? Who knows at this point.

Finally moved, and now I have a FTTP service. Problem is we seem to get some congestion in the evenings. I will get around to jumping the hoops for iinet to log the fault with supplier… meanwhile, this is what the speedtest looks like on a typical time.

1 Like

I miss my 100/40 FTTP so much :sob:

1 Like

Congestion complaints are becoming more and more common, it seems that having everyone on crappy ADSL connections has kept the problem at bay for a long time, but this sudden move to 12 or 25MBit (at a minimum) has pushed the RSP’s over the edge. Even Telstra who used to be the premium priced but “better” provider seem to have just as many issues as the smaller players :frowning:

Now the real question, how good is 40MBit upload?

That’s the best thing I have to say. Being able to attach a multiple mb file and send it out very quickly.

Things like Dropbox and Google Photos just work.