Thunderbolt to DVI Adapter

Hi Everyone

I haven’t been on AppleTalk for quite a long time but I’m hoping someone can help me out. I have quite a lot of photos I need to edit on my MacBook Pro. I just bought a cheap Thunderbolt to DVI adapter hoping to connect my ViewSonic monitor. It doesn’t work unfortunately but surprisingly works fine with a very old LG Flatron monitor! I have tried a couple of different cables.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas that would be great…

What resolution are you trying to run on that Viewsonic? From memory the DVI (and VGA) adaptors should be good to 1920 x 1200, are you over that?

I’ve got a cheap knock off of the thunderbolt to DVI adaptor which has always worked without issue but then I also bought a cheap DVI to HDMI dongle which was dead out of the box.

These days I just tend to buy a full cable rather than adaptors since they are (relatively) cheap and much neater. eg:

One bonus of Officeworks is that they are everywhere and if it doesn’t work you just take it back.

If you’re buying a whole new cable it’s worth looking at what else the display supports because a mini display port to HDMI or Displayport may be more useful in future.

Thanks for the reply.

I think the maximum resolution of the ViewSonic is 1920 x 1200. Anyway, I’ll have a look at that one you linked to from Officeworks.