Thursday Morning News

Model 15 iconWord has it Apple Music will be seeing a massive overhaul as part of iOS 10. Details covered at 9to5Mac tell us that the changes will include a redesigned black-and-white user interface, an even greater focus on album art, as well as integration of song lyrics. Everything is expected to be revealed at this year’s WWDC conference, which kind of seems like a weird time to unveil major changes to a consumer-focused product, not to mention the yearly revision of a major service which should really be updated more often than that.

If Apple is really going to unveil an Apple Music revamp at WWDC, a plea from The Loop’s Jim Dalrymple tells Apple to leave the celebrities at home. He makes a good point when he says the developers have paid to be there.

Apple has also reminded developers that all iOS apps submitted to the App Store must support IPv6-only networking by 1 June 2016. The notice posted to Apple’s developer portal says that most apps will not require changes, provided developers are already using the networking APIs in iOS.

There’s now video available of Apple CEO Tim Cook’s appearance on CNBC’s Mad Money. The two-part series is exactly what was covered in yesterday’s transcript.

MacRumors reports Jony Ive has talked to fashion magazine Business of Fashion about the Manus x Machina theme at this year’s Met Gala event. Ive believes that technology products — like the Apple Watch — are becoming more and more personal, which is a line I’m sure he’ll be using the next time he appears on video in a white room.

Apple’s latest hire is Yoky Matsuoka, former head of technology at Nest and before that, co-founder of Google’s X lab and professor of robotics. TechCrunch writes Matsuoka will be working on HealthKit improvements, following a life-threatening illness that forced her to step away from a position as VP of Technology at Twitter.

Tidbits wonders where all the tvOS apps are, and I’m inclined to agree, but at the same time can’t help but wonder — what kind of person wants apps running on their Apple TV? Sure, it’s the biggest screen in the house, but interaction with the Apple TV is convoluted at best. Maybe that’s up to developers to figure out.

Over at The Verge Walt Mossberg says there’s a new email app in town, with Mail by EasilyDo bringing the smarts of the company’s previous smart assistants and applying them to your inbox.

Moog just released iPhone and iPad versions of its Model 15 synth, which usually retails for $10,000. While you’re not getting the physical hardware of the Model 15, the app itself has all the features of the Model 15 and more, and Model 15 programmers worked alongside the app developers to re-create everything the original had, and all for just $46.99 on the Australian App Store.

A Twitter for Mac update brings support for Twitter Moments, polls, and GIF search. As a reminder, third-party apps get none of those features.

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/05/thursday-morning-news050516/

I’ve yet to find many apps that interest me beyond the video/TV stuff. I did get the weather app, and the storage check app, but apart from that, just stuff like iView, ABC, Netflix, Plex etc.

Are the games any good? I kinda quit gaming on a large screen years ago and havent yet noticed anything worthwhile.