Thursday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/06/thursday-morning-news300616/
Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 8.17.39 amPhotos from Chinese social media site Weibo show off what appear to be a Lightning-enabled pair of EarPods, which either confirms Apple’s removal of the headphone jack in the next iPhone, or the end of the world as we know it, based on some people’s reactions. Besides the obvious change in connection, the EarPods with Lightning appear to be identical to regular EarPods, although their authenticity is still questionable, at best.

Audio chip manufacturing company Cirrus Logic has released a MFi Headset Development Kit, which they say will allow accessory developers to quickly develop Lightning-based headphones of reasonable quality. The additional costs of MFi certification are still likely to lead to a higher selling price of any Lightning headphones, but at least companies won’t have to start from scratch.

The Verge has an Apple I/O death chart, which reveals that Apple tends to keep IO ports for around 15 years on their products. The one exception to the trend is the headphone jack, which has been around since the very first Mac and continues to be a blight on devices everywhere.

Rumour has it this year’s iPhone will have a touch-sensitive home button with Force Touch. Why Force Touch and not 3D Touch I’m not entirely sure, but there’s got to be an advantage to having less moving parts in the iPhone. It used to be the case that home buttons on iPhones failed a lot — here’s hoping the move to a capacitive button solves those issues.

Apple has released the fourth developer betas of iOS 9.3.3, tvOS 9.2.2, and OS X 10.11.6. Meanwhile, everyone else is waiting for the public beta release of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra, which Apple says was going to come out in July.

The iPhone turned 9 years old yesterday, and AppleInsider says Apple now finds itself at a crossroads. While Apple as a company will be fine, it’s widely accepted that sales of the iPhone are on the decline, this year’s iPhone will be more of a sizzle than a bang, and all eyes are on what Apple will do for the tenth anniversary iPhone.

A new 3D Touch shortcut in iOS 10 lets you prioritise app downloads. Seems like a handy feature to have when you’re downloading a whole bunch of app updates at once.

Curiously, MacRumors notes many Apple Watch bands and combinations are currently sold out. It probably doesn’t mean anything, but it’s possible Apple is testing out seasonal availability of Watch bands, and is gearing up to launch new bands entirely.

A Rogue Amoeba blog post on what Gatekeeper Path Randomisation is and how it will break many apps is a good technical read on a software vulnerability and how Apple is dealing with it in macOS Sierra.

IMore runs us through the ten most underrated features in watchOS 3.

1 Like

Do we know if there’ll be a 3.5mm headphone jack adaptor for the new lightning Earpods? It would be so wasteful if I have to throw my laptop in the bin because my new headphones don’t work with it.

2 Likes

We know lightning based headphones do exist, we also know that chinese manufacturers are happy to make accessories based on rumours from time to time (and in this case lightning headphones aren’t a completely sunk investment even if Apple don’t drop the 3.5mm jack since they will still do what it says on the box).

I wouldn’t put much faith in this particular photo, to me the plug end looks way to inelegant to be a real Apple product.

At this point we actually “know” nothing, although it’s a good bet that if Apple go lightning only there will likely be a 3rd party lightning to 3.5mm adaptor so you can use your "old’ headphones and there would almost definitely be a 3rd party adaptor (there’s already a few prototypes floating around).

Of course if you’re asking if there is a 3.5mm to lightning adaptor (ie so you can plug lightning headphones into an older 3.5mm jack) that’s a whole different question. It will come down to if lightning headphones are working with an analog signal, something I haven’t looked into.

Apple had better be looking into it. I have a Discman from 2002 that isn’t Lightning compatible so it’s a big NO from me until it happens, otherwise that’s another device just going to landfill because of Apple.

2 Likes

LOL

You must have been late to the Discman party, 2002 was all about the iPod coming to Windows… which means my iPod Classic is now useless! USELESS!

1 Like

I remember upgrading my Sony Discman to a Creative mp3 player with 256mb of glorious storage!

And in about 2004 I upgraded to a Creative Zen Touch with a stupendous 20GB of storage and the promise of portable storage and drop and drag functionality… in a firmware update which didn’t come until much later by which time I’d moved onto other things.
At the time you were stuck with Creatives own media management software (which sucked) and a proprietary piece of software to use it as mass storage (which was completely useless if you were going to another computer). On the upside, with 20GB of storage I just loaded my complete library and never plugged it in again :stuck_out_tongue:

See, more devices that are headed straight for the trash unless Apple think about THE CONSUMERS for once and make their lightning headphones compatible with standard headphone jacks. Class action lawsuit, anyone?

1 Like

I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or serious about suing apple because they are not releasing a device that suits you. Not sure you can sue for that.

2 Likes

I’m deadly serious. If I buy a product that has even the most tenuous link to what Apple does, I expect Apple to support it, whether it makes any reasonable sense or not.