Thursday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/08/thursday-morning-news250816/
17992-16028-iphonebox-back-lColes, the Australian Payments Clearing Association, and the Australian Retailers Association have all expressed support for CBA, NAB, and Westpac to collectively negotiate with Apple before agreeing to accept Apple Pay. Coles says it’s against the “technical lockout” that many consumers didn’t realise would be the case when they purchased their device, while the APCA has said that allowing the banks to negotiate will encourage greater innovation and enhance competition, as reported by ZDNet.

Yesterday marked Apple CEO Tim Cook’s fifth anniversary at the helm, which unlocked $100 million in stock bonuses to the Apple CEO recommended by Steve Jobs to Apple’s board of directors in 2011. As detailed by MacRumors, there are additional bonuses available to Cook, depending on how Apple performs relative to the S&P 500 index.

Graphs of Tim Cook’s Apple over the past five years show that by any measure, the company is a lot larger than it was five years ago. While recent quarters haven’t kept up to speed with previous ones, both revenue and margins are up relative to where they were five years ago. R&D spending is up, Apple has even more cash than it has ever had before, and while the iPhone has seen an increase in unit shipments, that’s about the only product that has.

The New York Times has a story on how Apple has become a green energy supplier with itself as a customer. If you’ve been to an Apple store lately, you’ll have seen the words on glass that say the store runs on 100% renewable energy, but there’s a lot more to Apple’s environment initiatives than that.

It was probably about time the macOS Sierra beta revealed its secrets, and now, it has. Code discovered reveals the possibility of faster USB connections, with support for USB 3.1 gen 2 in upcoming Macs, possibly as part of support for Thunderbolt 3, which also includes support for 10Gbps USB 3.1 gen 2.

For all the possibly-real leaks we see out of China, it’s almost refreshing to see something that’s very likely fake. AppleInsider points out the inconsistencies on “iPhone 6 SE” packaging, which is mostly about attention to detail and knowing that Apple would put a space between iPhone and 6.

Apple Music has come under fire from labels and one music critic, after the Universal Music Group CEO wrote a letter that ends all future exclusives with Universal artists. Lucian Grainge says exclusives will end up ultimately hurting the industry, specifically calling out Apple Music and saying Apple should be investigated by the government for anti-trust.

John Gruber’s Vesper post-mortem examines what happened to the iPhone notes app, which was originally released in June 2013. He says that the right order to do things would have been to build a Mac app first, then a syncing service, then the iPhone and iPad versions later, instead of the iPhone-only version to start off with. Being good isn’t good enough — you have to be lucky, too.

The Nike+ Running app has rebranded into Nike+ Run Club. There’s a complete visual overhaul as well as a focus on tracking watchOS runs.

As of writing, there’s about six hours left to purchase MacUpdate’s Summer Bundle. There’s probably about three apps (Waltr, DaisyDisk, iStat Menus) I’d really recommend from the package, but if you already own one or two you may be better off purchasing the others directly from the developers.

The only people who complain about collective bargaining are iSheep and capitalists. Each of the aforementioned are as bad as each other. We live in a social democracy, get used to it. I’m done here:

If you really want to use Apple Pay move all of your business to that other incredibly outdated credit card system that no one uses called Amex and enjoy the surcharges for using it. I like Apple but not enough to sell my soul to capitalist bullshit and that’s exactly what this is.

No one uses AmEx?!

A more secure, privacy-conscious method of payment is “capitalist bullshit”?!

I think the ‘capitalist bullshit’ is the banks wanting to keep their crappy smart-banking solutions so they control everything.

But I’m not going to change banks to do Apple Pay.

No one I know uses Amex because of their ridiculous charges and fees.

Apple could sell ice to you if you were an Eskimo don’t even get me started.

Hardly a representative sample then.

1 Like

I don’t want to go any further in this discussion. It’s not the right time or place. The crux of it is really simple, merchants don’t want to get on board with yet another payment system when Mastercard/Visa works just fine and dandy. This is the wrong forum for this type of discussion to exist in any rational sense.

I have a Visa debit and credit card, a Master card and an American Express card from 3 separate providers. That way I’m pretty well covered when I travel.

There are places where one card works and 1 or 2 of the others don’t, there are also places where the Amex charges are no worse than Visa or Master card (not in Australia I admit).

We have to be rational now? I thought we were Apple users :wink:

I have a range of cards myself including a Qantas cash card among many other things so I can earn Qantas points while flying on Virgin… Although that’s a bit of a digression, but anyway I’ve been in enough highfalutin stores that don’t accept Amex to learn the hard way that it’s not a viable way of transacting these days.

As to Apple Pay, if I want to use biometrics, I use my Commbank app, and I can use biometrics, I would argue as a way of interacting it’s less secure. Lets see give me one of your fingerprints vs give me your alphanumeric password with a special character that is not crackable by most computers for hundreds of years. Better yet, I’ll use PayPal merchants that hold the payment until the item is delivered in my hands.

Ok…

That furphy aside, what’s the deal here? Never had a problem with Visa or Mastecard, now all of a sudden wants ApplePay? Right, makes total sense to me!

I was with ANZ before ApplePay so it was a natural progression for me. Now I have it I couldn’t go back to “normal” card payments because it’s just so convenient. I now no longer have to carry a wallet in addition to my phone when out and about. I have a phone wallet in which I keep my licence and Visa Debit card just in case some place doesn’t accept tap and go payments. Ultimately to each their own. We live in such a technological world though that it’s just natural for people to want to use the latest and greatest.

I can store all my store cards in my Commbank App, if I want NFC I can buy a chip. The reality is NFC is the least secure way of transacting yet. I don’t see the convenience, I’d rather have a whole bunch of cards then one phone that can be stolen where once it is thanks to your fingerprint or whatever the whole world can acess your accounts.

I tried biometrics for a while and then I realised in an open environment just how insecure it actually is. Tech companies in the 1990s rejoiced about biometrics and now look at things, we have more encryption and encryption keys in our lives than ever.

Don’t laugh it happened.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4396831.stm

People don’t need to even use a fingerprint to make purchases if they steal your card. It’s harder to replicate a fingerprint than to just tap and go with a card you have swiped from someone.

It’s no more inherently harder if someone wants to steal all your moneys they’ll steal all your fingerprints also if they’re really that interested.

Simon Pheonix says, olay!

The worst theft most of us will be exposed to is petty, opportunistic theft. For those robbers, a card is inherently easier to use than a phone that would first have a passcode or TouchID lock, and then need a TouchID activation to use the payment function as well.

One could argue that the banks are already doing collective bargaining. They’re just using the media to do it at the moment.

It has nothing to do with consumer choice and everything to do with maintaining control of consumer data.

Choose your poison. Evil Corp number 1, aka Apple or Evil Corps number 2, aka the Banks. My bank has had access to my data for years, so no point my switching, but if I was 30 years younger, I’d be tempted.

Nothing more than failed technology disruption. I chose my poison in PayPal already years ago because they did it slowly, by stealth and people realised in the long run hey its more secure to have a middle broker that holds the money until people go through with their intentions. Because the alternative is? Well we take the general assumption that most people are dishonest, to whatever level they think they can get away with in life when it comes to money.

It comes the other way. Not to say I’m a terrorist or whatever, but with the way laws are going in Australia lets just say your under duress. It’s far easier to get a fingerprint from the police then it is to say I have no idea what my pass code is good luck.

Not to say I have anything to hide because I don’t but, my security background tells my spidey senses you’re buying into a world where your entire life can be easily monitored for everything it is you do and if you get screwed one day, you’re not going to be so happy you turned on the finger scanner on your phone.

Ugh. Don’t get me started on PayPal. They sent debt collectors after me over $40 that I didn’t owe them.

Useless, incompetent pricks.

2 Likes