Toll Road Infringement Advice

G’day,

I have received an infringement notice from Vic Police for:

DRIVE VEHICLE IN A TOLL ZONE WHEN THAT
VEHICLE IS NOT REGISTERED IN RESPECT OF
THAT TOLL ZONE, WITH THE FREEWAY
CORPORATION (code 2354)

This occurred when I was driving home from the car yard where I bought the vehicle, and I’m pretty sure I went through the Burnley Tunnel.

In retrospect, I don’t think I did call to pay for the toll, but the wording has me confused as to whether it’s actually saying the vehicle was NOT REGISTERED (ie with Vic Roads), or just saying I didn’t pay the toll…??

This was the first correspondence I have received in regards to the matter.

I see from Vic Police FAQ that you can’t rely on getting a non-payment warning, but surely I should be able to have a chance to pay the toll before getting an infringement notice??

Would the toll invoice have been sent to the car yard??

The other thing that this whole system seems to keep secret is whether there is someone you can just call up and TALK to, to discuss the matter, to help make an educated decision. The only options noted are to PAY the infringement, NOMINATE someone else as being driver, REQUEST an internal review and risk paying more, or go to COURT.

:frowning:

cheers

cosmic

To me it sounds like you didn’t pay the toll.

The not registered bit reads like it wasn’t registered with the freeway operator (ie. No E-tag).

Toll roads are pigs, I’m so glad we don’t have any here in backwater SA :wink:

This post on Reddit details the exact infringement you are referring to :slight_smile: https://www.reddit.com/r/auslaw/comments/s2avm/what_does_this_fine_mean_auslaw/

A few years back, and woman I work with accidentally drove through the Burnley Tunnel. She didn’t want to, she wanted to go via Richmond etc but of course if you’re in the wrong lane there’s not much you can do about it. She got send a fine and refused to pay it. There was a whole long drawn our saga, and the Sheriff ended up coming to her door wanting her to pay the fine. She refused, and said “put me in Jail for a night, I’m not paying the fine, I didn’t want to drive through their stupid tunnel” etc etc. Anyway to cut a long story short they ended up dropping it with a warning or something.

I doubt this helps you in anyway, and you probably don’t want to call their bluff but it would be interesting to see what happened if you did.