Tuesday Morning News

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 6.49.43 am13 million. That’s how many iPhones Apple sold in the opening weekend of iPhone 6s and 6s Plus sales, three days after launch and blowing away the previous record of 10 million set by the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Apple’s press release says the new iPhones will be available in an additional 40 countries on October 9, with availability set to reach over 130 countries by the end of the year.

You’re probably sick of new iPhone reviews, so we’ll do something a little different this time around: while Anandtech doesn’t have a full review of the new iPhones just, preliminary testing of the new iPhone reveals some interesting information about the on-board storage used in the 6s and 6s Plus. Storage performance is so far ahead of the pack it isn’t funny, and actual CPU and GPU performance isn’t something to be laughed at, either.

The new iPhone may be somewhat water resistant, but I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s completely waterproof because, well, it’s not. Regardless of what you might see or read on the internet, unless Apple CEO Tim Cook is showering with his new iPhone, it’s probably not as waterproof as the internet says it is.

Nothing shows off the iterative improvements to the iPhone camera better than the comparative photos from the taptaptap blog. Not only can you visually compare the generations of iPhone cameras all at the same time, but their interactive comparison tools also let you match up the various camera models head-to-head. Bottom line: more megapixels without a loss in image quality, which is exactly what Apple was aiming for.

Wi-Fi Assist in iOS 9 is a feature that’s supposed to help out when your Wi-Fi isn’t as fast as it could be, or when your Wi-Fi signal isn’t great. It uses mobile data to give a little of a helping hand — and while the feature is enabled by default, you can turn it off in mobile settings, all the way at the bottom of the page where it lists mobile data usage by app.

The new iPhone was literally released a couple of days ago, but already rumours regarding the next iPhone say there might be a new casing material as well as an actually waterproof (and dustproof) design.

The LA Unified School District has reached an agreement with Apple and Lenovo, after it determined the Pearson software on Apple tablets was no good. Apple will pay $4.2 million for the Pearson curriculum, while Lenovo will provide $2.2 million in credit for the purchase of laptops after the $1.3 billion project to equip every student with an iPad didn’t quite work out.

If you use Low Power Mode in iOS 9 all the time, you can potentially cut your battery usage in half when not actively using the device. And what’s more, your iPhone is still completely usable as a smartphone — unlike battery saving modes on other devices, Low Power Mode in iOS 9 only adjusts performance and tunes background performance.

Apple has pulled a number of older software titles from the Mac App Store, including previous versions of OS X, Aperture, and iPhoto. Software previously available via the “purchased” tab in the Mac App Store now isn’t.

In slightly stranger news, Russian authorities are investigating emoji in iOS for, and I quote, “promoting homosexuality”. If Apple’s emoji is found to have broken a law prohibiting the promotion of homosexuality to minors, Apple faces a fine of up to US $15,000.

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2015/09/tuesday-morning-news290915/

I will miss Aperture. Still using it daily now though.

A small price to pay for not living in the Dark Ages.

1 Like

iMore is reporting that Apple “is aware of the issue” and they’ll be returning to the store soon. The cynic in me says they heard the backlash and changed their minds. I’ll be sure to back up apps I buy from the store in future.

Everything has been returned to the purchased tab now. I had better work out how to back up all those apps before it happens again.

I always thought the benefit of the App Store was that it was one place to house all our software, but if they’re just going to pull stuff not only from sale but from our own purchased list then we had better play it safe.

Aperture was not a cheap purchase.

I still don’t believe they removed them by accident.

I feel the same. I think they tried to quietly remove stuff… there is a possibility they were shifting things around on the MAS for El Capitian… but I don’t know.

You can’t really back up apps of the app store… you can download them, and make a copy onto an external hard-drive, and you can definitely make copies of Mac OS X installers.