Tuesday Morning News

iOS-9-Apple-Maps-3D-Touch-Home-screen-shortcuts-iPhone-6s-screenshot-001Continuing the Error 53 coverage from yesterday, one lawyer firm in Seattle is investigating a class-action lawsuit against Apple for disabling devices repaired with non-genuine parts. The case would focus on how Apple is violating consumer laws by forcing customers to use Apple-sanctioned repair services, which generally come at a higher cost than third-party counterparts.

TvOS 9.2 beta 3 was released to developers overnight, and comes with a new feature enabling voice dictation in text fields. ICloud Photo Library also makes an appearance on the streaming TV box, as well as Siri’s ability to search the App Store for apps and games.

The third beta of OS X 10.11.4 has arrived, bringing with it Live Photos in Messages, as well as the ability to password protect individual notes. Like previous developer betas, there’s a good chance we’ll see all of these betas become available to members of Apple’s public beta testing program tomorrow.

Both iOS 9.3 beta 3 and watchOS 2.2 beta 3 have also arrived, but there are no notable features in these releases. Instead, the updates seem to be focused around bug fixes and some Maps improvements in watchOS 2.2.

You asked for it, and Instagram has answered with official support for multiple accounts. The latest update of the Instagram for iOS app brings multiple account support to the app, letting you switch accounts by tapping on the username section in the header of the app. There appears to be some contention whether the official announcement means multiple accounts will be available to all immediately, or whether there is some kind of staggered rollout, but either way: multiple Instagram accounts are here. Now, about that iPad app…

IDownloadBlog tells us about the 3D Touch shortcuts for Apple Maps.

In life, there are three certainties. Death, taxes, and the fact that Facebook’s iOS app runs in the background far more often that you might like, even when you haven’t used it in a while. So much so that uninstalling the Facebook app altogether can do wonders for your battery life, if that’s something you’re worried about these days.

9to5Mac has previously reported on rumours claiming there will be an 4-inch iPhone 5se released this year, but why isn’t that a 4-inch model of the next iPhone, instead? They claim it’s because of a higher average selling price for the “premium” iPhone lineup, while everything else can be priced however it likes. I wonder if the 4-inch iPhone will see the same kind of mediocre success as the iPhone 5c did.

IMore covers questions wondering if the next iPhone should be waterproof. While the Apple Watch is waterproof, getting a device that’s much larger to be waterproof may prove more challenging.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Apple is going to offer some kind of adapter for the headphone jack-less iPhone. If the do offer some kind of adapter, I’d hope it’s a cool-looking Bluetooth unit that can potentially clip onto clothing, like this one.

The news returns next Monday.

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/02/tuesday-morning-news090216/

I’ve been wondering how I feel about the possibility of dropping the headphone jack. I used bluetooth headphones years ago with Windows Mobile, the biggest issue was the slight audio lag. Fine for voice calls, not so much for watching video. I stuck with a cable and invested in various cabled headphones over the years, always spending decent money on what I considered pretty good headphones (although I’m sure the audiophiles probably wouldn’t agree :P).

In any case, about 18 months ago I tried out bluetooth again with a set of Plantronics BackBeat Go 2 headphones. They sound pretty good and have worked pretty well for me although I’ve always had the cabled headphones near to hand in case I run into a flat battery.

Like many, the recent rumours of the loss of the headphone jack stirred something inside that I wasn’t ready to let go of, I still wanted that option, I still needed to know I could plug something in whenever I needed. There are use cases that require a cable because batteries just aren’t adequate…

Then this week I started playing with my 3DS again after finding it in a drawer. This meant switching to cabled headphones so I on’y had to carry one set. I’m using my aJays Four (which are a hold over from an old MacTalk group buy, although they have been replaced once or twice during their life). While they are great headphones the cable is bothering me! You get so used to not having that lead run to your pocket, catching on train seats as you squeeze on/off… banging against you while you walk…

All that is to say, I for one welcome our new 3.5mm-less overlords.

I like it!

That little thing looks awesome, but the question is do they offer it in the box and do they include a set of headphones as well? Or is this a $50 add on? Not something that I would buy, but if they were to include it in the first year and drop it next year (since people could just keep the old one to use with the new device) I think it would soften the blow significantly.

Even though Sony have been waterproofing devices up to 10" tablets for the last 3 years?

[quote=“alfrsr, post:3, topic:1851”]
Even though Sony have been waterproofing devices up to 10" tablets for the last 3 years?[/quote]

NOT always successfully however!

I had a Sony Experia Z series ‘water proof’ phone and the rubber seal on the headphone socket failed after only 12 months.

1 Like

riiiiiigggghhttt…

Anyone here actually use Live Photos? I disabled it almost immediately - not sure their utility.

Best tell the missus on her iPhone 6s - it dies before the end of the day - however, can she live without FB…

Granted, but they worked that out with the Z2, Z3 and Z4…they all have waterproof headphone jacks and the Z4 has a waterproof MicroUSB port.

The only time I really use it is when I’m hanging out with my niece and nephew. Managed to catch some great little moments with them.

It would be nice if Apple would waterproof the iPhone 7 and offer a waterproof headphone socket and lightning socket (they’re features that would actually be useful!).

I don’t personally have the S model as I didn’t see the need but my wife upgraded from the 5S to a 6S so I’ve played with it and like it. I feel like I would leave it on for shits and giggles as it looks pretty cool…

But what’s the impact of having it on?? extra storage? or extra lag when taking pictures? lower quality stills?

Not actually having static photos, but having mini movies instead, when you probably want photos? Plus increased storage requirements. Or was I using them wrong?

I thought it still took the full res photos but either encapsulated or included a lower res video along with it.

Just did a quick search and this appears to answer my questions (and yours):

[quote]Memory/Storage Considerations

One thing to be aware of, however, is that if you choose to leave Live Photos enabled all of the time, every photo you take will require approximately double the storage space on your iPhone.

Therefore, for each Live Photo you take, it will essentially require the storage space of two still photos.

This may not be a big deal for many, but if you take a lot of photos and don’t delete any of them, you may quickly find yourself running out of available storage even faster than before.

Still Photos Remain Separate From Live Photos

While Live Photos are linked to their relevant still image within the camera roll for easy access, they remain distinct entities that can be shared and saved separately.

Therefore, you can still choose to share a still image with someone without also sending them the Live Photo.[/quote]
Source: http://iphonephotographyschool.com/live-photos/

I have Background App Refresh turned off for Facebook and do not have any significant battery issues. However, I do not use Facebook that much.

If it wasn’t for lawyers ~ we wouldn’t need lawyers.

Grabs the headlines and a handful of bucks!