Tuesday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/06/tuesday-morning-news280616/
8lBViBHPrevious rumours about a “deep blue” version of the iPhone may turn out to be a much darker version of the Space Grey. Comparisons of Apple products over the years indicates that Apple has had a few variants of their Space Grey colour, although it’s hard to fault them for not understanding the colour — after all, there are infinite shades of grey.

WatchOS 3 reinvents the Apple Watch experience, and an in-depth look over at iMore tells us about the ways watchOS 3 makes the Apple Watch a better timepiece, one that’s focused on interactions (as opposed to applications), your health, and communications.

David Sparks agrees, saying watchOS 3 is the Apple Watch 2 we’ve been expecting. Task-oriented watch faces dramatically change the way you use the watch, and the performance optimisations that Apple were able to pull off are incredible. Given the lacklustre performance of watchOS as it is now, it’s crazy that no new hardware was needed.

Apple’s director of fitness for health technologies Jay Blahnik told Buzzfeed that meditation in the form of the new Breathe app for the Apple Watch will have health benefits like regular meditation does, despite the lack of evidence that meditation in app form has any health benefits at all. But perhaps the easily-accessible nature of having an app that reminds you to take a few deep breaths every four hours will be the key to Breathe’s success.

9to5Mac goes hands-on with the Apple TV Remote app, which is currently only available to developers. Once it’s on your device, you can pair it with your fourth-generation Apple TV, at which point you’ll be able to do everything on your iPhone that you can do on your Siri Remote — except control the volume. Did I mention it was a beta?

Tidbits breaks down what Apple’s new APFS file system means for you. Note that while APFS has significant advantages over HFS+, we aren’t really expected to see widespread adoption of it across all Apple products for at least another year, closer to two.

Wired’s explanation of Apple’s differential privacy is “statistical science of trying to learn as much as possible about a group while learning as little as possible about any individual in it”. There’s probably a reason on-device features were pointed out in the WWDC Keynote earlier this month, as there’s a good chance Apple is sending more and more information off your device, but all in a way that can’t identify you.

Further clarification about differential privacy from Recode says that the feature will make it debut in iOS 10, and will be opt-in to allow Apple use of your anonymised data.

Analysis of the death of “wintel” systems and the rise of mobile means that Apple will be moving away from Intel processors in Macs, but I’ve heard this one before.

If Apple removes the headphone jack from the next iPhone, we’re going to need some new headphones — and a cleanup crew for the amount of blood that will be spilled over the decision.

Some well thought out options there for the cabled side, the only addition I would have is to say they either include in the box (to keep people as happy as possible) a lightning to 3.5mm adaptor of some kind… or sell one as an optional accessory for $29. Sadly as an optional accessory it makes more sense :frowning: (greener, less waste from people who don’t want/need them etc).

On the wireless side there is this old gem, which I liked the look of as a 1st party accessory, but I can’t seem them including this since it would be admitting that 3.5mm is still a valid thing. I guarantee that 3rd parties will release something like this.

OR… and something that’s still in with a 50/50 chance. The rumours are wrong and the 3.5mm plug stays!