Tuesday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/08/tuesday-morning-news230816/
IMG_0099bSince we’re not getting three new models of iPhone this year, new rumours say we’ll be getting three new models next year, instead. The successor to this year’s iPhone will mark the tenth anniversary of the iPhone, and now we’re hearing rumours that there may be a larger, more expensive version of the 5.5-inch iPhone, possibly even with a curved OLED display.

9to5Mac says the pieces are coming together for this year’s iPhone release. With optical image stabilisation all but confirmed for both iPhone models this time around, and the further possibility of some dual-camera craziness on the larger of the two, this year’s iPhone is shaping up to be about as good as it gets. Just don’t say anything about the lack of a hardware redesign.

Apple’s latest acquisition is health-data collection startup Gliimpse. The acquisition makes a lot of sense given Apple’s recent forays into the world of medicine and health. Recent services like HealthKit, CareKit, and ResearchKit are all gateways to allow medical professionals and patients to access their own health data, and it’s expected Gliimpse will only add to that.

If you want to change how Siri pronounces your name, maybe you’d consider calling Apple CEO Tim Cook. That’s exactly what Barbra Streisand did, after she discovered Siri pronounces her last name as Streizand rather than Streisand. What’s more, apparently Cook agreed to have Siri’s pronunciation changed, which Streisand says will happen on September 30th with the next iOS update. Hold on a second, did Barbra Streisand just tell us about the public release date of iOS 10?

Apple has announced the 2016 Apple Music Festival, which will happen in London over the course of ten nights starting on the 18th of September. It’s also the tenth anniversary of the event, which, up until two years ago, was called the iTunes Music Festival.

Now that the iOS and macOS betas are all out of sync, Apple has released the seventh developer beta of macOS Sierra. The build is exactly the same as the sixth public beta, and both are available now to download from the Mac App Store.

There’s now a night mode in the official Twitter app, after being in beta for a few weeks. Judging from the screenshots it’s pretty nice, but I still prefer Tweetbot over the official client.

You’ve probably heard about this before, but the story behind the original Apple Watch was that Apple in the 90s wanted people to upgrade to System 7.5. In order to that, they offered an Apple Watch, or a copy of Conflict Catcher software. The gray band doesn’t have the style of, say, a Milanese Loop, but it does have Mac OS running along its length.

A post on Medium says iPad-only is the new desktop linux. If you’re using the iPad as your primary computer, you may just like it because it’s a challenge", the post says, continuing on to say that although the iPad offers great single-task productivity, anything involving more than one program at a time starts becoming more difficult than it needs to be.

Notorious iPad-only user Ben Brooks has posted a rebuttal that challenges that, saying that it’s a mindset thing — one that needs to change if you’re to accept iOS as your productivity OS of choice. The fact that iOS requires you to throw away what you already know and think about how you need to go about something is the hard part.

Using iOS as you’re only OS? Madness…

It’s probably a fair comment to say that it’s “hard” because it’s new and different to what you have learned to love…

and I get that you need to re-learn how to do some tasks me make them fit iOS, I get that it might mean new apps, new ways of doing things or compromise…

but the real question remains. Why? Why should I bother? What’s in it for me?

Yep iPads and smaller and lighter and more portable. iPads are better at some tasks too (which was pointed out). You might get away with 80% of your day on an iPad without any compromise… but that last 20% you just want a real computer, without compromise.

Personally I have a MacBook Pro for real work, even just having more than a few words response makes me want to use a real keyboard.
I have a Kindle for reading, it really is the best experience without distraction and without burning out your eyeballs.
I have an iPhone 6 Plus for my “walking around computer”. And yes it can do a vast majority of what I need, but I sure as hell didn’t type this on the iPhone.
I had an iPad. It was nice, but I never really got into it. I found that for the casual use I needed on the run, the iPhone was just as capable and infinitely more portable (and always with me). For anything the phone couldn’t handle, the MBP was the better choice.

Wasn’t there an article here recently talking about the poor ergonomics of using an iPad full time as a bad thing since you had to keep lifting your hands/arms to interact with the screen since there is no pointing device otherwise?

In any case, I personally advocate for multiple devices, although as the price of iPads and MacBooks is on the rise, it makes it that much more expensive to ride the wave of technology.

Agree. I even prefer to use apps like iMessage or WhatsApp on my MacBook Pro if I can. Better typing, cut and paste etc.

I love my iPad but I would not consider it a replacement for my computer (not yet anyway).

The iPad lacks full support for Microsoft Office, only Word, Powerpoint and Excel are available and none of them offer full functionality and it lacks any support for MYOB meaning you have to use it on a remote computer via something like GoToMyPc (which in my experience generally works well on a laptop but is laggy and sluggish on my iPad).

That is one cool retro watch. I want one.

But if you had one of these in your pocket, you sure as hell could have typed this on your iPhone.

The two sides of the keyboard and the “space bar” stack on top of each other and insert into the stand that the iPhone is in.

Called Textblade and it should go GA within the next few months.

That’s nice and all… I suppose it’s small enough to put into your pocket and questionably better to use than something like these being that it’s a larger keyboard:

Of course it’s something extra to carry around… and if you have a bag could you just slip in a MacBook Air? I can tell you from experience that a 13" MBA fits into one of those A4/Letter zip up leather compendium things quite nicely. I used to only carry one of those and it worked very well.

Back on the phone keyboard, if you only want one one your desk, any bluetooth keyboard should work just fine too.

Without turning this into a sales pitch for Textblade, I should just state that it’s a reinvention of the keyboard - highly ergonomic, highly intelligent, enables touch typing essentially without having to life your fingers off the home row, and can “jump” from iPhone to iPad to Mac to Windows to…anything. The freedom of being able to walk into a meeting room carrying nothing, and with just my iPhone 6+ and Textblade in my pocket, and being ready to take notes with OneNote in seconds, is very liberating. Worth going to the waytools.com website and checking it out.