Tuesday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/08/tuesday-morning-news300816/
Screen-Shot-2016-08-29-at-12.08.01-PM-800x659Apple has issued press invites for an event on the 7th of September, featuring the tagline “See you on the 7th”. The event will be live-streamed as per recent Apple events, and MacRumors writes up everything we know. It’s a given that we’ll see new iPhones, but what else Apple will announce at the event is anyone’s guess, given the fact that almost every product in the Apple product lineup could do with an update.

Some classic over-analysis of the event invite from The Verge says the event will be focused on the dual-cameras of the next iPhone. In particular, the bokeh and dark background seem to suggest a better lens and bigger sensor, leading to better bokeh and improved low-light performance. If Apple are indeed removing the headphone jack with this iteration of the iPhone, their invite doesn’t show it.

Meanwhile, wild Apple event invite speculation from AppleInsider reads more like a reader wish-list than anything else. While iris scanning could be a cool way of taking biometric security to the next level, there are those who think the feature isn’t ready for the prime-time just yet. At least Siri’s responses about the 7th of September have been updated.

DigiTimes has a different kind of rumour that says Apple may end up using Micro-LED display tech, at least until OLED is ready for mobile devices. Current performance-cost and reliability issues make OLED a poor choice for any kind of mass-produced product in scale such as the iPhone, although more OLED devices are being released every day.

The eighth developer beta of macOS Sierra has been released to developers and members of Apple’s public beta testing program (who get their seventh release). It’s possible we’ll see a release date at Apple’s event next week, if not a quiet release after the event.

A new lawsuit targets Apple for knowing about an issue affecting touch responsiveness on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and choosing to do nothing about it. The lawsuit alleges Apple has refused repairs for devices affected by the “touch disease”, which manifests itself over time and progressively worsens.

The European Commission’s investigation into Apple’s tax practices in the EU recommend that Apple pays back $1.1 billion in back taxes, with the final sum yet to be determined.

Apple briefly let a fake Dribbble app onto the App Store earlier today, but later pulled it when it was discovered that PG Client allowed users to jailbreak their devices provided they were running iOS 9.3.3 or earlier.

Storage discrepancies between what iOS says and what iTunes says can be frustrating. Over at Macworld, Kirk McElhearn says there’s seemingly no rhyme or reason for the difference.

The Guardian has a pretty good piece on the “Sent from my iPhone” signature block, which is now seen as an inbuilt excuse for brevity or typos given the mobile nature of the world as we know it.

1 Like

I’m almost the opposite. I make my normal emails seem short with typos ignored so that my normal emails now seem like they are from my mobile devices. But when I’m writing for work even my iPhone emails are written formally and no different to desktop ones.

I had to look that one up:

In photography, bokeh (originally /ˈboʊkɛ/, /ˈboʊkeɪ/ boh-kay — also sometimes pronounced as /ˈboʊkə/ boh-kə, Japanese: [boke]) is the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in the out-of-focus parts of an image produced by a lens.

Source: Bokeh - Wikipedia

A better camera is always nice, especially as more and more people reply more and more on the iPhone camera. I picked up and used (the now quite old Canon D500) over the weekend and there is something to say for using a real camera over the iPhone, even an older one. No matter what they tell you, size matters…

…sensor size that is :stuck_out_tongue: