Tuesday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2017/03/tuesday-morning-news140317/

Mobile marketing firm Fiksu has discovered the existence of previously-unknown iPad models, which TechCrunchs reports is evidence enough of an upcoming refresh. The refresh is widely expected to introduce a new 10.5-inch model alongside the current 12.9 and 9.7-inch iPad Pros, perhaps with an A10X chipset, but it’s unclear whether this refresh will include any kind of hardware upgrade for the smaller iPad mini.

If Apple’s supply chain sources are to be believed, this iPad refresh could happen as early as next week. There hasn’t been any invites given to members of the press, so it’s possible this will be the kind of online-only announcement that we’ve seen a handful of times from Apple, but it’s still early in the week for our friends in the US, so there’s still time for Apple to send out invites and build some hype.

Apple has updated its HomeKit page with new categories for HomeKit-compatible accessories. HomeKit-compatible home accessories and appliances are now organised by function rather than brand, and there’s now some kind of indication on when upcoming products will be available. Whether HomeKit is an attractive feature when choosing your next fan or window blind still remains to be seen, however.

A new study claims Apple’s ResearchKit generates reliable health data, at least for asthma patients. While the data collected by the asthma treatment app was used to correlate asthma problems with location and air quality, of the 7,600 people who enrolled in the study, about 85% completed one survey, and just 30% completed more than one survey over the six-month study period.

The sixth beta of iOS 10.3 has been released to developers, but wait, what’s this? A simultaneous release to members of Apple’s public beta testing program? It must mean only one thing: we’re getting close to the general public release.

Not wanting its loyal Mac customers to feel left out, the sixth beta of macOS 10.12.4 has also been released to developers. Like the iOS release, both developers and members of Apple’s public beta program can download the latest beta.

If you’re thinking of purchasing the LG UltraFine 5K display, 9to5Mac says you can tell whether your model has the updated shielding without taking it home and using it near a router by simply looking at the serial number. It’ll mean being able to take a look at the box, but the good news is, an online purchase will almost certainly be unaffected.

There are about three good podcast clients for iOS these days, and that very short list is comprised of Castro, Overcast, and Pocket Casts. Two of the three have been seen a major update this year, while Pocket Casts has seen steady updates since its last major update in July. Macworld’s review of all three podcast clients tells us about the pros and cons and the birds and the bees — wait, OK, maybe not that last one.

YouTube’s latest app is Uptime, which is the video giant’s take on social video watching. Live comments and reactions to videos are possible with Uptime, although there doesn’t seem to be any way of broadcasting video within the app itself. You’ll also need an invite code to activate the app, even though it’s free — MacStories says PIZZA is currently working.

I’m really not sure what to make of Apple’s latest ad, Sticker Fight, that takes iMessage stickers to the streets. It’s a fun ad and all, don’t get me wrong, but in no way represents the iMessage sticker experience. Maybe I’m getting old.

So more product confusion from Apple (in the iPad space) - too many models leads to confusion. Apple appear to be returning to a plethora of products which may lead then down the same path that Steve had to recover them from many years ago, but this time there is no Steve.

I know that the Apple faithful will think I’m just whinging but it is a simple fact the excessive product diversity leads to buyer confusion.

I’m starting to feel like Apple are going out of their way to make my life more difficult with every new release (yes I know it’s just a coincidence… but that’s the way it ‘feels’).

First it was removing the ability to easily upgrade the MacBook Pros (making my cost of ownership over time higher). I’ve been persisting with my existing one but I’m going to be forced to upgrade soon, it’s getting very sluggish when editing.

Then it was removing the 3.5mm port from the iPhone meaning I have had to replace my otherwise perfectly good but a few years old Harley Davidson tourer with a brand new Street Glide (which I’m still waiting for because they didn’t have my color in stock at a cost of almost $40,000) simply so I can upgrade my phone (I’m still using my 6S+ because the 7 won’t work with the audio system in the earlier bike).

Now they’re not going to upgrade the iPad Mini? Which is the only iPad that is small enough to realistically use in a car mount for CAT control of my radio rigs. And yes ‘not upgrading’ is normally apple talk for we’re going to let this product die a slow death.

As a mac pro user I feel your pain

1 Like

Not sure if this is a serious gripe?

I hate the whole non upgrade thing. Apple are rolling in it, the least they can do is keep their products updated. Its not like they’re loosing money on the Mini. Either that or they Should tell people if they plan to no longer make a product, instead of doing the usual slow painful cash grab death.

1 Like

It was semi-serious, I’ve been unable to upgrade my iPhone 6S to a 7 because the built in audio connector on my earlier Harley touring motorcycle used a 3.5mm interface and there was no space inside the fairing compartment to use an adaptor.

It wasn’t so much that I had to upgrade the bike because of the phone, it was “I couldn’t update the phone because of the bike”. When the new bike arrives it will have a different shaped and sized phone compartment in the fairing and a USB interface not a 3.5mm one.

for the curious the bike will look like this (in this color)

1 Like

Think Apple has dropped the ball on Homekit in general and in Aus particularly.

1 Like

Quoted just to reinforce that this is an absolute truth, Apple have dropped the ball on Macs these days and simply don’t appear to care as they are not the cashcow that the iPhone is.

I firmly believe that desktop Macs will cease to exist in the very near future and there will be one (maybe 2) lines of MacBook and they will concentrate only on the iPhone and iPad as they are the “consumable” (ie. short life span - compared to computers) devices that Apple want to sell and make money on as people will want to replace these every 2 years or so in a number of cases (and some people annually).

They’ll make a buttwad of cash by doing this but will lose many of their old and faithful customers.

I’m not saying this to be anti-Apple it simply appears to be what is very likely to happen in my view.