Tuesday Morning News

Originally published at: https://appletalk.com.au/2018/10/tuesday-morning-news231018/

Although reviews of the iPhone XR aren’t quite out yet, Engadget has a great piece on the iPhone XR that includes an interview with Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller. Schiller confirms that Apple doesn’t assign any specific meaning to the letters, but his personal take on it is that the S and R in this year’s iPhone X revisions are like the letters used to denote special models of sports cars. And like those special models of sports cars, the iPhone XR brings most of the tech of the iPhone XS to everyone at a slightly lower price point and in a range of bright new colours.

Apple’s redesigned jobs portal tells us about the company’s core values when it comes to working at Apple. From innovation at every role at Apple, to sharing ideas and learning from everyone and collaborating on hard problems, Apple’s business practices speak for themselves — whether that’s Apple’s approach to the environment, their commitment to the ongoing privacy and security of its customers, or the benefits granted to employees that allow everyone to share in Apple’s success via discounted stock.

Apple CEO Tim Cook is in Europe this week ahead of his speech later this week at the European Data Protection Conference in Brussels, and he’s been sharing some of what he’s been doing on his Twitter account, summarised by MacRumors. He’s been meeting with AR app developers in Berlin, filmmakers shooting films on an iPhone in France, and even visited the offices of Foodadvisor in Paris.

The fifth developer betas of iOS 12.1, watchOS 5.1, and tvOS 12.1 are now out, with public betas of the same also being available. If I had to speculate, I’m guessing we’ll see these right around the time of Apple’s event next week, to coincide with new iPad Pros and whatever else Apple decides to unveil.

TechCrunch discusses the accessibility of the Apple Watch Series 4, saying that it’s the most accessible version yet thanks to the larger display. Although it’s the most accessible watch ever, it still has room for improvement, and it’s interesting to see the same pain points — the Infograph and Infograph Modular watch faces — as regular folks have, as well as concerns regarding iPhone packaging.

And by now, you’ll know that the Apple Watch is far from a necessity. It’s a nice-to-have, whether you take advantage of its fitness and activity tracking features, use it to communicate with friends and family, or just get your notifications without having to pull out your iPhone. But it’s ambitious, and that’s starting to show with the direction Apple are taking it.

The Mac Observer says there’s plenty to like about the Apple Watch Series 4, including how fast it is, the battery life you get out of it, as well as the new watch faces and redesigned display. That said, their main gripe is probably similar to what some people have, which is a lack of true customisation — in this case, a lack of seconds displayed on many digital time watch faces.

Now that iOS 12 lets you use the iOS 12 keyboard to control text cursor position, every device capable of running iOS 12 gets it, regardless of whether it supports 3D Touch or not. A nice touch, given the iPhone XR has no 3D Touch.

MG Siegler writes that despite opting for the iPhone XS Max, he actually prefers the regular XS size. Even though the extra display size was nice, and he was able to use all of it thanks to Reachability, feature parity across both models means there’s less to draw prospective owners towards the iPhone with the largest display ever.

AppleInsider has the story of Aperture, Apple’s pro-photo management and editing app that invented an entire category of photography apps, only to later cede that crown to Adobe Lightroom, with the final update from Apple on their pro-level photo app recommending users switch to Lightroom.

Interestingly, Apple’s jobs portal says there’s 32 Apple offices, facilities, and store locations in Australia. Given that there’s 22 stores, maybe a couple of warehouses, Apple HQ in Sydney, that’s still half a dozen Apple locations that we don’t know about.

Depending on how Apple is counting those numbers, perhaps it counts Apple call centres (that it doesn’t necessarily own, but operates nonetheless) in that number?

Counting each state/territory as a location for Home Advisers perhaps?

With the impending release of the XR into the wild I’m reminded again of the colour options they have available. Personally I’ve always been a little disappointed that Apple offer the colour in the non flagship product range. I’d pick a different colour if I could, but then not at the cost of not getting the better model which means I’m usually stuck with some version of “Black”.

It must be a nightmare to manage than many SKU’s… 6 colours time 3 size options = 18 different models just for the XR. I’m sure someone much smarter than me forecasts these things and tries to make sure there is enough of each different size/colour on hand to meet demands.

I often wonder what the feasibility of having a BTO option for phones where you could mix and match the pieces. Phone Size (XR/XS/XS Max), Screen face (Black/White), body colour (Silver/Space Grey/Gold/White/Black/Blue/Yellow/Coral/(Product)Red) and capacity (64/128/256/512GB). That’s 216 different combinations assuming all options were available to all designs, but it would make for some very interesting stats like what options would people actually choose if given the choice of all the above. Would you pay a premium to BTO a phone? Say $100 to choose your own combination?

This could even be taken a step further to simplify the standard range to only Black/Silver in one or two size options with everything else being BTO… Increase the average selling price?

Are we getting to the point where people REALLY need a new phone every year or couple of years?

My S8+ still seems ridiculously huge, capable, etc. I’ve really lost track of why people buy new phones as quickly as they do. I went from a 3G to a 4 (I still own it, use it as an iPod/Car Stereo), 5C (sold once it got too slow) to a 6S (still own it, trying to figure out what to use it for) to the S8+… and the S8+ still feels absolutely excessive. My previous upgrades were due to noticeable sluggishness, inability to run certain apps or iOS revisions, etc. Since switching to the S8+, I just haven’t noticed this at all, and I think we’ll get the S10 or whatever it is in Spring, and there’s no need for it.

Nothing about the new iPhones will lure me back, and I can’t imagine what the 2019 or 2020 iPhones might possibly have that will have any bearing on my choices. MAYBE a camera that takes excellent night photos and has broadcast quality video. Unless Apple decides to make an iPhoneMacTV which essentially replaces every device I use, I think I’m going to continue to hold onto my 6S and my S8+. It might be time to get rid of the 4 and move the iTunes library over to the 6S. But what’s a 4 even worth these days?

SFA. But it’s worth not having to ensure you have a working 30-pin cable around for I guess?

I have a cable that is four connectors in one, including a 30-pin (lightning, USB-C, micro-USB). Quite useful.

What does SFA mean? (Besides Stephen F. Austin).

Sweet fuck all.

Well, I still have all my original packaging and all that, so we’ll see how much it might be worth in 30 years. :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL. I hung onto my 1st gen iphone. I think I have a paperweight.