Turning on existing technologies

On a side note, I’ll never understand how quickly Apple customers (or the fans, at least) turn on existing technologies, even those that traditionally have had no issues or drawbacks. Nobody complained about the headphone jack until the second the rumour started to spread that Apple was looking to remove it. Almost immediately after it’s “old tech”, “needs to be replaced” and “luddites need to get with the times”. “Good riddance” is the consensus I’m hearing. One moment it’s fine, used daily by millions without any problem whatsoever. The next it’s the antichrist, such a burden on your life so awful that its inclusion in the next iPhone would be a deal breaker.

Weird.

2 Likes

I’m jumping ship if it happens. If Apple does it, it will be amongst the most arrogant moves by them yet.

Yes! I don’t understand this. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the existing jack. If people want to deal wiht the annoyances of bluetooth headphones, you can already do so. Same, if you want lightning headphones.

I suppose Apple are thinking that Bluetooth headphones will take over, avoiding the need for plugs and cables. My experience with Sennheiser noise cancelling Blutooth headphones has been very good, but Bluetooth reliability is never 100% wonderful. You also have a battery to recharge.

The other option is to use a dongle (?) to convert from the lightning connection to an inline 3.5" socket. Something else to lose. Plus my experience with inline sockets is average at best.

Some manufacturers may release headphones with a lightning plug. No doubt the will wotk well, but I doubt there will be any tangible benefit in sound quality, even to those with audiophile ears.

So the benefit is really freeing up space inside the iphone and possibly allowing it to be even thinner. I don’t need a thinner phone. In fact, I would be happier witha thicker and heavier phone if it provided better battery life. In any case, Bend-Gate suggests that we are approaching a physical limit where thinner may equate to too-bendable.

Perhaps it will make the phone easier to build and more reliable, so Apple can reduce the price. (I will stop at that, as some form of delirium is setting in if I am contemplating Apple reducing prices)

Even if I fell over $3k, I wouldn’t fork out for a modern Mac - I’d be looking at the last generation to use optical drives, cos my desk is cluttered enough without adding another nuisance to it. We don’t all ask Apple how high, after they say to jump…

The headphone jack is only one example of many, but it is a good one considering that it’s relevant at this point in time.

I’d be supportive of the notion of using Bluetooth headphones if energy storage technologies were better. I look at simplicity above all else, and from a circuit engineering and electronics perspective moving to wireless headsets means replacing a passive device (as in, does not require its own power source) like wired headphones with a component that requires multiple embedded lithium rechargeable batteries, wireless radios, digital-analog converters, bluetooth comms hardware and antennas in addition to the speaker drivers themselves.

From a usability perspective, it means the headphones require regular recharging in addition to the device itself. The headphones won’t necessarily be always-ready (a low battery means no music listening) and the headphones will wear out prematurely when the lithium battery degrades to the point of being useless. Not to mention the phone battery life will take a hit from having the Bluetooth hardware constantly active and communicating.

All so we don’t have to be tethered to a cable connected to a device that’s kept on our person anyway.

This seems like a complex solution to a problem we don’t have, and that’s where the confusion on my part comes from. I’m not sure modern day consumers understand really how good we have it with the kind of technologies we already have. The standard headphone jack is over 100 years old. That doesn’t mean it needs to be replaced, it just means it’s served its purpose well, tried and true, tested and refined with few drawbacks. “Old” should not be synonymous with “bad”, but the attitude from some customers suggests that they believe this to be the case.

Progress is great, but a new solution that solves one problem while introducing even more (e-Waste comes to mind, if all of these earbuds have lithium batteries in them, not to mention reliability) is a backwards step. Until such issues are resolved the wired headphone jack is still the best option we have, and until last month or so nobody disputed that fact.

It wasn’t until the rumour started to circulate that Apple intended to remove it that anyone really started to become critical of it. Therein lies the second logical fallacy. Just because Apple believes it to be right as an industry authority doesn’t necessarily make it so. Or the belief that the removal of the established technology is for the benefit of the users. The only one set to truly benefit from this move is Apple themselves, especially as the sole license holder for what could become the only wired interface on the iPhone - the Lightning connector.

Ultimately though, their intentions will become clear if or when this rumour comes to fruition.

1 Like

But just think about it, iMic… If they remove the headphone jack, they can make the iPhone several millimetres thinner! And after all, we are all wanting a thinner iPhone. Thinner iMacs, thinner Macbooks, thinner iPhones. Apple said so…

1 Like

The technology market is full of solutions looking for problems.

Just a thought. Are people allowed to use Bluetooth on planes? I flew home from Perth to Melb yesterday, and listened to my noise cancelling headphones. Bare minimum I need a lightning to 3.5mm adapter if they do get rid of it. And if I buy new fangled Bluetooth can I use them on plane?

Mostly. One flight I was on recently, I think Virgin but it might have been AirNZ, specifically mentioned them - turn off transmitting functions on phones and laptops but bluetooth headphones are allowed.

I’m sure it will become more normal. I’ve had a kindle for many years and it’s only in the last year or so in Australia that they let you use it during takeoff and landing.

1 Like