Typical number of networked devices in your home?

MAC address filtering is more trouble than it’s worth, IMHO. Two reasons: not only can anyone within range of your wireless networks get the MAC addresses of devices communicating with your wireless router, MAC addresses can be spoofed easily enough.

Those two points, and the fact that (as you’ve pointed out) it’s kind of a pain to setup in the first place mean I’ve never bothered with MAC address filtering as a security method.

Nope. Withings scales are wifi enabled.

Also agreed. MAC address filtering as a security measure is pretty much pointless. It’s handy if you’ve got kids and want to restrict their internet access to certain periods. But for security use WPA2 encryption with a good key, it’s much safer.

I have a DHCP reservation set for my printer (AirPrint doesn’t seem too happy if the printers IP address changes, which is silly, it should use DNS) and used to for my Apple TVs when I first got them (as they struggled without it) but they work fine now.

Just to dredge up this topic again… I was sitting at a course for work yesterday on Information Security and talking about network architecture and the like, so I decided to do a new count on network enabled devices I have at home.

For a 2 person house, my tally comes in at 32.

We have (not exhaustive):
4 x Lifx bulbs,
5 x wemo switches
2 x ipads
2 x iphones
2 x laptops
1 x imac
3 x Apple TV’s
1 x TV, Blu-Ray, PVR, PS3, internet/dab radio, etc…
and to monitor all the nonsense, a few IP cams as well!

It might be getting a little out of hand. :slight_smile:

Nope, just a sign of the times!

Phew. I thought I was becoming unreasonable. :smile:

1 Like

I’m feeling like I’m behind the times…only 15 for 2 people :sob:

2 Likes

Sitting at 23 devices for my wife and I (our 14 month old doesn’t add to the network count).

I have several more computers/devices that are rarely used so I didn’t include them.

These are all serviced by a previous get Airport Extreme (wireless N only) and a pair of Netgear WNHDEB111 access points in bridge mode to cover the family room and garage.

2 Likes

It doesn’t feel like it’s been almost two years since I started this thread!

I’ve just been going through my setup again and I’m up to 67 devices of which 53 are in active use. And by active I mean the things that are used at least once a week (if not constantly).

Router logs say there were 64 different devices connected to the network so far in July :open_mouth:

FIFTY-THREE??? Good god… what? Why?

I have 2 ipads, a couple of phones, the BR smart player (rarely used), FetchTV, A mac Mini and an elderly Macbook. And I thought that was over the top. I’m just in kindy!!

1 Like

I’m not suggesting we are normal by any stretch, but there are also five of us and it doesn’t take much to start adding up between computers, iphones, ipod, ipads, kindles… even watches connect to the WiFi! Throw in some IP Cams, WiFi AP’s, a bunch of network speakers then start looking at game systems, HTPC, AppleTV’s, PVR… the list (apparently) goes on and on.

There is only two of us but we somehow now have over 60? Not sure how that happened, but as the Hawk posted, more and more stuff now comes with WiFi.

1 Like

Sure. I have phones in my drawer which have wifi, plus the ipad mini i almost never use, a printer which isnt connected… if I counted everything I have I’d probably get up to 20 or so (theres only me) but whats in use is way less than that.

1 Like

LOL I have 62 currently, which is somewhat of a record for me at home. But all have their use.

1 Like

faint

1 Like