Updating to macOS High Sierra

I found a good article from Pro Tools Expert - a rather comprehensive list of pro audio stuff and compatibility information for macOS High Sierra.

Just in case anyone is interested…

2 Likes

Note that High Sierra won’t install on soft RAID setups. I had to remove my RAID0 setup on my Mac mini before I upgraded. Took me a while to repartition everything.

Also Carbon Copy Cloner 4 can’t make bootable copies with High Sierra. They force you to upgrade to CCC 5.

Using CCC5, I am simply going to clone, install, clone back on my RAID0. That’s what I did for the Beta, so that’s what I am going to do here.

I’ve done something similar except that I’m keeping my 2 SSDs as separate drives now rather than recreate RAID0 - correct me if I’m wrong, but from what I can tell, High Sierra refuses to update if it sits on a soft RAID - I don’t want to have to keep cloning to update.

Well, that’s incredibly annoying. The speed gain is no trifling matter for my graphics and video work, so I’ll just have to deal, I guess. :expressionless:

Thanks, Apple.

Continuing the discussion from Who is beta testing High Sierra?:

I have no self control, I installed High Sierra :roll_eyes:

I’m using YakYak for Hangouts, which has actually turned out quite nice because it can hide in the menu bar, and I can drag and drop images into it.

NightShift and Continuity are working just fine.

Some awesome things I’ve noticed: Finder navigation is instantaneous for me now. Maybe that’s the new file system at play? And I can read ios 11 notes on my machine, which is good because I can use the grid paper for a background.

No self control.

HS 10.13.1 Beta just dropped, I’m getting it now. Let’s see how it goes…

UPDATE: No Joy. Didn’t install.

I installed it on my MBP and it appears ok so far. Photoshop CS3 is still running (mostly), everything else I use is far more modern so has no issues (although I’m two versions behind on parallels but am using it less and less often so will leave it for the moment).

I also installed it on my Mac Mini and grabbed MacOS Server before I realised that the main things I actually use are both standard is OS X now (caching server and Time Machine server). Given I run most things off the QNAP there is actually very little reason I need to run this machine anymore, although it is replacing an ‘09 vintage TimeCapsule and has a new 2TB drive so should be happy for a long while.

Took 4 tries, but success!

I went ahead and converted both my external drives to APFS.

Now Photo is updating its library and it’s stuck at 5% - my photo library is large, so that may be the cause - will let people know how long it takes - I’ve had to leave it and go to work.

Did the clean install dance over the weekend, knowing that I’d have a long weekend to get back up and running if things went pear-shaped.

Luckily they didn’t… kind-of. Had a few weird issues where High Sierra would copy the installer files to my newly-erased and formatted APFS internal drive, but upon rebooting would just load Recovery mode and not actually complete the install. Holding option at startup didn’t give me the option to start up from my internal drive, either — eventually fixed it by installing High Sierra to a spare external hard drive, then installing from that onto my internal SSD.

Coming from Yosemite, High Sierra doesn’t feel all that much different. Maybe slightly smoother, but honestly I’d be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Good job, Apple.

Brave. I guess if you back up with Time Capsule that’s OK, though.

I don’t actually. I back up locally with Crashplan and Carbon Copy Cloner.

One external drive is a RAID10 hardware RAID setup (12 Tb to 6 Tb). The other is a Lacie 6 Tb. Both converted to APFS with no issues. I have everything backed up in the cloud just in case of disaster.

I’m looking at backing up data and reverting to Sierra, too many issues with High Sierra - especially when it comes to VMWare Fusion and its inability to get a network connection. It may just be me as I’m not seeing any references to it with a few Google searches but in reality the (very minimal) new stuff in High Sierra really doesn’t outweigh the disadvantages so I’ll most likely wait till the first update and confirmation that I will no longer have issues with VMWare.

I took the plunge.

The MacBook Air (late 2010) that had been running the developer previews, I did a fresh install on as it is (finally) retiring.

The 13" MacBook Pro (Touch Bar) that is replacing the Air took the update well.

My Retina iMac on the other hand … stalled on the progress bar for about an hour. This may have been the conversion to APFS (1TB SSD)? Anyhow, I power cycled, and ended up in a kernel panic, reboot loop. I’ve done a network re-install and restored from time machine. All good. The time machine is on an external USB3 enclosure that has a bad habit of disconnecting uncleanly. At least I got the restore done before it corrupted completely.

Definitely looking at a format and install Sierra again - Apple have in their infinite “wisdom” removed both the telnet and ftp command from the OS - this is utter stupidity! These are core commands that I need to use quite often from the command line :exploding_head:

Telnet and FTP are insecure.

Telnet and FTP are insecure not encrypted.

Although, with Kerberos setup, they are nicely encrypted and single-sign on capable as well!

Still plenty of valid use cases for telnet and ftp, especially inside of closed environments.

Should be easy enough to acquire both tools using something like MacPorts though.

1 Like

But they are also necessary tools for an IT professional (moreso Telnet than FTP) and Apple’s removol of them is pathetic, I should not need to resort to 3rd party options when they have always been a part of the standard install in the past - just more arrogance from Apple who think they know better than their users

Well, there are more companies than Apple out there who are being arrogant then.

It’s gone from Windows and the last install of RHEL7 I came across didn’t have telnet (client or server) installed by default. I do agree, it is a little easier to get telnet onto a RHEL box than compiling something on macOS.

netcat appears to be on High Sierra by default.

(edit: spelling)

It is not installed by default but is easily added by going in to Programs and Features/Turn Windows Features On and Off and ticking the Telnet Client box