Updating to macOS High Sierra

Especially my wifes home made stuff!

1 Like

Acelon1 - what is the make/model of the SSD you put into your macbook? I’ve read of there being issues with some 3rd party SSDs and High Sierra…

We are running a 3rd party one in the 2011 MBA, an OWC Aura 480GB unit.

EDIT: The 2012 Mac Mini is also running a 3rd party unit, a 120GB Patriot Blaze SATA SSD. It was chosen because it was the cheapest thing they had and it was a boot drive for a HTPC. The second drive is a 2TB 5,400rpm Seagate Barracuda unit which was clean formatted and is running APFS.

I’m running a SanDisk SSD PLUS 480GB , now running with a clean install and will update once I get all my applications and data back in place on the machine and get some time with it.

I can never understand why some people seem to have no end of trouble updating to the latest versions of the OS, yet I can install it on day 1 and never have a single problem.

2 Likes

Same here. My father-in-law is always complaining that this, that, and the other doesn’t work on his iPhone/Mac/etc - either in regular use, or during/after updating. Yet it all works fine for me. It’s always a lack of knowledge on his part of how to actually do something, rather than a technical fault. Or he tries to do something outside the ecosystem which screws everything up (e.g. using OneDrive for Photo management and then complaining when he updated his Photo’s app, it didn’t update the photo library in OneDrive).

I can’t understand why I have the issues I have been having as I have nothing at all odd in my setup. It is possible that it is just the age of the machine causing problems, but I’d expect it to handle it without any problems as a standard PC box that is the same age has had no issues at all with Windows 10 or any of the updates.

I have now done a clean install on the MacBook (rather than the update over the beta that I did have) and will give feedback in a few days once I’ve had the chance to use it for a while.

I work in IT and I know a number of people who have had all sorts of issues with High Sierra.

Yep me too (have worked in IT for a little over 27 years), personally I’d categorize it as one of the buggiest and least stable releases of OS X ever.

I’ll most likely be going back to Sierra (or even El Cap) on the MacBook but at the moment back on my Windows 10 PC - which despite being slightly older than the MacBook and having half the cores performs substantially better than the MacBook does.

1 Like

Amazing, I’d like to know what people are doing wrong to get bad results from upgrading to High Sierra. I’ve upgraded 3 Macs of varying vintages and I’ve had no problems other than having to upgrade drivers for my RAID arrays.

Why do you assume people are doing something wrong? I’ve done the install via. both an upgrade and a clean install on my mid 2012 15" MacBook Pro and have found the software buggy, slow and prone to often slow downs and the “spinning beach ball of death”, logs show nothing unusual - the machine just runs like a 3 legged pig.

I have no unusual software installed and am not using the MacBook in any ways that I have not in the past yet I am having nothing but issues.

1 Like

Acelon1, are you using a 3rd-party SSD in your MBP? I’ve heard of people having issues with High Sierra and some 3rd-party SSDs.

Yes I am using a 3rd party SSD, but have never had any issues in the past. If Apple are going to cripple their OS so you can only use hardware supplied by them then that is nothing more than more money grubbing by them and I can only hope that it causes them to lose customers as I for one will not deal with a company that does this.

Mind you it’s all a moot point now as the only Mac that offers any semblance of upgradability is the 27" iMac and even then it is only memory - and I think everyone here knows my feelings on the total lack of ability to add storage and memory to my Mac.

Why should a 3rd party SSD excuse issues with High Sierra?

People aren’t doing anything wrong. High Sierra is buggy. It’s the cost of rushing out a completely new OS every year. Sierra itself is still full of bugs that never got addressed, so it’s hardly surprising.

1 Like

Because it’s quite likely that some SSDs aren’t fully compliant with standards Apple is relying on to deploy APFS.

Also, almost no-one on Macs can upgrade the firmware of SSDs because the updates run in DOS.

Most Mac users wouldn’t know if they were doing something wrong in the first place. I’m sure High Sierra has bugs, but calling it the buggiest release is pure bullsh*t.

1 Like

Apple should have thought about that while designing High Sierra then.

I never called it the buggiest release ever, but I can tell you there are users who have done nothing wrong.

Right… so Apple should test their OS on EVERY variation of hardware configuration created by people using the dozens of 3rd-party SSDs on the market?

Apple open up their OS every year for the public to beta test… and there were plenty of versions before the release, enough for major bugs to be found. But the number of early adoptees of a new macOS at release far outnumbers the people on public/dev beta tests, so there are going to be issues discovered after release.

IMHO, most people should hold off until .2 of a release if they don’t really need the new features.

The common factor with the 3 Macs in my household that have had no major problems with High Sierra is that they all have Apple-installed SSDs…

I’d be thinking its incompatibility with certain controllers used in SSDs, they should test with various SSDs, then work out which controllers have issues and High Sierra shouldn’t install APFS on SSDs with incompatible controllers.

They should stop with the stupid yearly release cycle to give more time for bugs to be ironed out and for the previous version to give people a stable OS to use while they wait. Apple should warn users not to update till the OS is stable.

And none of the people I know with High Sierra issues have a third party SSD. Your brilliant experience with High Sierra doesn’t somehow disprove there are problems with High Sierra, the same way my observations of other people’s experience doesn’t prove that High Sierra is the buggiest release ever.

Running macOS on spinning rust has been problematic since Yosemite.