Updating to macOS High Sierra

I mistyped. I meant none of the people I know with High Sierra issues are on Macs with third party SSDs.

MacOS/OSX hasn’t run well on HDDs since 10.8, arguably actually since 10.6. Shame Apple persists on putting them in iMacs and Mac Minis (and MacBooks till late last year), and that they refuse to optimise MacOS to run better on slower storage mediums.

Runs fine on my MacBook Air (mid-13 vintage I think from memory) - no bugs encountered so far, although I do note that each version seemingly brings a longer cold-boot sequence. I often used to shut it down instead of sleep because booting was almost as fast as wake. Not these days.

I wont touch it for as long as I am hearing about issues with it. Am I the only one who remembers when Apple didnt rush out a new OS every year? Back then you could depend on it. Now, you can’t. I’ve advised all my friends to steer clear of the upgrade until Apple gets it sorted. For myself, I wont upgrade because I just dont want a file system change which is going to break some of my apps.

3 Likes

I can really sympathise with those having problems with High Sierra upgrades. When I upgraded my MBP from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion I turned a beautiful quick smooth running machine into a bucket of bolts. Endless problems that no one else seemed to care about, especially Apple. After much Googling and finally a very helpful conversation with Joe Kissel of Take Control ebooks did I get it back to some semblance of a workable machine. But no where as good as it was on Snow Leopard. The frustration of having stuffed up a perfectly enjoyable machine and no one knowing how to fix it does nothing for brand loyalty. I now own a MB Air on Sierra, which runs very nicely thank you, and have been considering upgrading, but my previous experience and posts on this site have warned me off.

If I did upgrade I don’t know how exchanging files between my iMac on Snow Leopard via my network would work, I suspect not very well with Apple’s new file system. Can some enlighten me?

1 Like

10.13.2 is way better than 10.13.0 was. I think if you’ve made it this far resisting Apple’s pushy updates, I’d wait until at least 10.13.3 lands.

The filesystem isn’t relevant, as when sharing between Macs & PCs. The filesharing protocol has changed though and APFS doesn’t support AFP. I haven’t made the transition yet so I can’t speak from experience, but I think you need to use SMB. SMB is supported in Snow Leopard, but I don’t know how well it works, as we’re still using AFP.

You can hardly call it a new OS. The interim year releases aren’t much more than .x updates, if it wasn’t for the different name, you wouldn’t call it a whole different OS.

All these people complaining about bugs seem to be using it on older hardware. I have an 18-month-old iMac that I haven’t encountered any bugs with, so I’m not really sure where people are going wrong. :man_shrugging:t4:

They completely re-wrote the Window Manager. Trust me, it’s a significant update, with plenty of bugs.

Sure, some bugs are hardware related, but many aren’t. Just today, I couldn’t save the changes to my SMTP settings in the Mail.app. :man_facepalming: That’s nothing to do with hardware age - just to do with things being re-written that weren’t tested properly or aren’t finished.

Well done that your Mac works well. There are plenty of people who haven’t done anything incorrectly and have a midair of probelms.

And this is why it’s all the more disappointing that it’s yet another bug filled release.

‘Plenty of people’ hardly constitutes a majority, and you’ll never prove otherwise. All you assume is that these people ‘haven’t done anything incorrectly’ just because you ‘think’ you’re pretty sure that you didn’t stuff things up a version of two back…

I’ve got 3 Macs in this household and all of them upgraded to High Sierra without issues bar a single kernel extension (SOFTRAID) that was incompatible from the outset of the public betas and was fixed before release.

I’ve been using Macs since 1984, owned them since 1985, and macOS High Sierra is far from the ‘buggiest release’ ever that some people call it… And ANYONE knows that you hold off until version .3 of a release if you want to escape most of the introduced bugs.

1 Like

Your good experience doesn’t erase other people’s poor experiences and you’ll also never prove that your three Macs equals a majority.

Tell me exactly how Issues with a clean install can be put down to user error. If MacOS is that unstable and fragile that usage by very basic users can somehow stuff the whole system up then there’s a problem.

I work in IT and manage a fair number number of Macs and High Sierra has been pretty bad.

And your quip about everyone knowing to hold off till the 0.3 version is all well and good, except Apple automatically downloads high sierra and then prompts the user to install it, and that started pretty early on.

But yeah I guess the need to defend apple to he death means passing any blame for anything onto someone else. Apple’s stupid yearly release cycle means that we never get properly stable software because we never get past version 0.6 ish. Then apple pull stupid stunts like changing the iWork document format, then making the iWork update of that year compatible only with the new OS forcing updates.

1 Like

Just because you have a few problems doesn’t mean the vast majority of users are having problems. My good experiences and your bad experiences are what they are. If Apple was genuinely having massive numbers of people with problems upgrading to High Sierra, it would be making the news. And I don’t mean the news on piddling little mac sites.

All I know is that year after year, there are people who always seem to have problems, when I and the vast majority of users donot. If it’s happening year after year for you with multiple machines, I would be re-assessing your installs completely, starting with fresh installs of macOS without migrating any settings or apps, and start from scratch.

1 Like

And again you have no proof. All I know is I see the same bugs appearing in clean installs prior to data being migrated. I also know that just as high sierra gets almost mature, apple will release another buggy MacOS and we’ll be back to square one. Very frustrating when you manage fleets of Macs.

Did you perhaps ignore the slight bug of the root access flaw? That made the news.

2 Likes

Let’s have macOS updates restricted to once every 5 years so all the troglodytes are appeased. :slight_smile:

I think Apple painted themselves into a corner with all these yearly updates, mostly driven by the iPhone mania that demands newer flashier phones and OSes every year, and also driven by the Apple shareholders’ avarice for ever-increasing profits.

I think we can probably both agree, that Apple would be better served delivering a major macOS update every 2 years.

btw, exactly how many is this ‘fleet’ of Macs that cause so many problems, and what’s their age range?

There were a LOT of bug problems with the MacBook Air laptops that my daughters school provides to their students (at student cost) with this update (1400 students and about 1500 laptops and roughly a third of them had problems, mostly the ones that had been in use for more than a year).

The age of the laptops varied between new and 4 years old (depending upon what year the students were in) and didn’t seem to be a factor rather it was how much use they’d had.

1 Like

I had the same reaction to this statement. I have no issue with Apple beta testing their new OS releases on consumers if that’s what they want to do, but it annoys me that they are so aggressive and there’s no way to actually disable those notifications. I know exactly what I’m doing, and so do the 150+ macs that I manage. We’ll upgrade after 10.X.3 like we always do. How about a simple “Dismiss” on the notification, or better yet, an ability to disable those annoying prompts all together.

Agree - and ideally they would disconnect ‘iCloud features’ from OS upgrades. Literally the only reason I upgraded to HS was to ensure iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Notes on my iPhone and Mac were able to sync seamlessly. LOL - the experience was anything but that, but that was the goal. (full re-sync of iCPL 200gig and manual rebuild/restore of Notes from backup after HS crapped itself on my 3gigs of iCloud notes…)

Just because you can doesn’t necessarily mean you should. Bloody hell!

Evernote doesn’t seem to have any issues with that much data… is Apple software a special snowflake that needs to be only used for the occasional twitter-post-to-screenshot? :joy:

P.S. They have an Evernote import feature… which didn’t complain at all about the amount of data. Imported fine. Sync was just painfully slow and unreliable with that much data. Deleted items came back. Lots of bugs. These a design, code and testing issues, not a capacity issue. Photos (well, before iOS 11!) syncs 200gig of data seamlessly.

Mine still does.

I guess I’m just trying to fathom 3 GB of Notes data - my own would be lucky to be 3 MB ¯\_(ツ)_/¯