USB Turntable to MacBook Pro

I have a Fission USB Turntable (purchased from Aldi about a decade ago). I’m trying to set it up so I can rip old LPs. My MbP has only USB-C ports so I connected the turntable via an Anker hub. I’m using Audacity software. The instructions that came with the turntable are 10 years old and useless. Audacity has up-to-date instructions in their wiki.

The turntable is recognised by the Mac and by Audacity and when I play an LP I can hear faint music through the pickup. When I try to record I get a flat line in Audacity. After lots of experimentation I’ve decided the issue is probably the use of the hub - which Audacity advises not to use. My questions therefore are - would a USB-C to USB adapter get around this problem? and what is the issue with hubs anyway?

Cheers
Steve

Use an original Apple direct USB-C to USB adaptor for things like this is my suggestion when it comes to audio. I’ve never had problems when I’ve done this.

1 Like

What is the connection on the record player end of the current cable? You can get USB C to USB anything and remove the need for any adaptor, I’ve seen USB A, B, mini, micro and of course lightning.

Thanks Erwin. I have purchased the Apple adaptor but still can’t get a signal into Audacity. I can get a signal into my Mac as shown by the input level indicator on the Sound Preferences pane. I will keep trying.

Thanks The_Hawk. The turntable USB cable has a USB-B plug at the turntable end. I don’t think the cable is the issue however - see my response to Erwin.

I never quite understood the “don’t use a hub” requirement beyond interferance, I mean digital is digital. In the olden days it may have been a bandwidth issue, but if you only have only thing going then… well why not? But what do I know?

In theory, record players output wasn’t amplified which is why you had a phono input on equipment which then boosted things up… but in this case it’s a digital signal coming out over USB, not analog? right? It should just work. Mind you, reviews on the Fission device aren’t good.

Plan C: That thing has a line output right? Grab a USB based soundcard to give you a 3.5mm stereo input and try that

Plan F: A better turntable with built in USB/SD recoding onboard? Gumtree tends to have a few from people who have finished doing what you’re starting :wink:

Plan G: A better turntable then go with Plan C?

Audacity certainly should just work and no doubt there is a setting I’ve missed. In the meantime, Quicktime works just fine to record the turntable signal and generates acceptable files that I can pull into Audacity. Thanks for the advice. You get what you pay for and this turntable was paid for 10 years ago. I only have a few to do.