Vague update descriptions in the App Store. Anyone else annoyed?

So every day I find updates for my apps that need to be installed, which I of course don’t mind, however I am sick of the vague release notes that big apps include now, and they all seem to be doing it. Something along the lines of “we release a new update every two weeks to ensure your app is running smoothly”. How about you just tell me what is fixed or improved?

Is it just me being a grumpy young man?

2 Likes

They’re treating it like a form of advertising. Send through a bullshit update that ultimately does nothing except remind you that the app is there, and maybe you’ll open it out of curiosity to see what’s changed.

1 Like

Don’t reviews get reset with every update too? So any bad reviews will be cancelled out if they “release an update every two weeks”?

1 Like

Not so much reset as obscured. You can still view reviews for previous versions they’re just not front and center.

1 Like

No, I do get unreasonably annoyed by these generic descriptions. I’d like to know what’s changed, if anything. If it’s just a bug fix, go into a little detail at least: “Bug fix to correct the issue where your phone may explode under certain circumstances”.

1 Like

I do find them annoying, Facebook is especially bad for it. What’s the problem in telling us what the update contains? At least feature changes/additions.

1 Like

Doesn’t really bother me to be honest. When it does bother me is when a good feature is announced and I miss it, because I’m so used to not reading that apps update notes. Like the Twitter dark mode for example.

Someone probably needs to create a website and do their own update descriptions, so when we update Facebook, Messenger, Dropbox, etc, we can go somewhere and confirm what the actual changes were.

Important/Notable updates (such as the Twitter dark mode I mentioned above) I normally find out from Macstories and the like. They’ve got a pretty good finger on the pulse.

I really wish Apple would implement guidelines as to what developers can include in the update descriptions.

1 Like

I don’t they can barely follow their own guidelines when it comes to the App Store approval process.

1 Like

@AVC - you mean like less of the shifty jelly kind of fluff ?