WatchOS 4.1

What a barkin nightmare. Its been downloading for an hour and has said 5 minutes remaining for most of that time. REally? This could be the last time I bother updating. Not much in it for those who dont have watch3, anyway.

[end grumble]

What a shame you cant stop the update. Iā€™m over it. (well i did stop it by rebooting the phone. Nothing had changed on the watch, no harm no foul. Iā€™ll try again tomorrow. Maybe the servers are getting hammered.

Iā€™m staying away from watch os 4. Everything Iā€™ve read says it slows the series 1 down and is worse on the battery. Then again, I donā€™t have much choice given Iā€™m holding on with iOS 10.3.3 until they fix the awful control centre wifi toggle and make it fast and stable.

It slowed down my Series 0, but I read a couple of comments elsewhere that thereā€™s a bit of a performance boost on 4.1. Iā€™m actually downloading it right now to see. Series 3 (naturally) is working fine.

Update: Well, after waiting for almost an hour for the download and updating of the Gen 0 Watch, it is a lot more responsive, not Series 2 or 3 responsive, but much more usable than it was on 4.0.

The phone reboot as referenced previously actually did not stop anything. As soon as I looked at the upgrade page, there it was again, stuck. Its a pity Apple does not give us any way to elegantly exit from a situation like that. IN the end I unpaired the watch, rebooted the phone, and re-paired the watch. I dont think Iā€™ll try to update again. There isnt much about it thats for the rest of us, anyway.

WatchOS 4.0 has been fine on my series 1. No noticable impact on battery or performance

I updated my S3 the other night. Completed in about half an hour (I wasnā€™t really timing). No issues at all.

Yeah there wouldnā€™t be any with the Series 3 updates-wise at least for 8 months. Mind you, 4.1 on the Series 0 has actually made more usable!

1 Like

Oh dear, the frustration of it all. I tried again yesterday afternoon and exactly the same thing happened. Seized up at 3 minutes to go, I left it for 3 hours, came back, and it was still stuck. Had to unpair and re-pair, again. I think I am giving up. (I know, I said that beforeā€¦ maybe Iā€™ll try again later)

My biggest beef with watchOS 4 is the way it changed the way the watch worked yet again. I wish they would just settle on a UX and refine rather than trying a whole new way of working each time. Personally, I liked the dock format in watchOS 3 - specifically that certain Apps were always in the same position rather than just the ā€˜recent itemsā€™ list we have now. :frowning:

1 Like

anyone get stuck at ā€œpreparingā€ after downloading the software?

Oh what! Have we lost the dock in Watch OS 4? I love the dock - I keep my most used Apps in it because the home screen is a fairly terrible way of navigating. Apple certainly knows to to ruin its software this year.

My sticking point was at download, it just wouldnt. If its stuck on preparing, ouch, I dont think you can do anything much about that :frowning:

Its gone through and installed. took two goes. Second time it worked.

I selected new playlists to sync. left it to do its thing. now found four completely different playlists have synced.

still setting it up as a new watch. It will be a long night!

Yep, iā€™m not that fond of 4 either, stopped using the dock, because its something else now. Its just weird.

[edit] next morning ā€¦ well, middle of the night reallyā€¦ I found that fpr whatever reason the update had downloaded even though I had opted not to have it do so. So it was ready to install, Done and dusted at last. I guess it was my turn.

Canā€™t you change this to ā€œFavouritesā€ within the Watch app to get back to your ordered list of apps?

2 Likes

Oh my gosh! Amazing. Thank you for this hint!!!