Web Authoring App Recommendations

I’m after recommendations for a decent web authoring app that I can use to make a fairly basic HTML5 website. I have (very) basic HTML & CSS skills, so am hoping to have a WYSIWYG app that is easy to use.

These days I would just recommend WordPress.

1 Like

There is move towards database free websites (for security amongst other reasons), which some people refer to as flat file CMSs.

I am looking at rebuilding an existing (Drupal) site using https://getgrav.org and will likely convert a few WordPress sites as well

(I have looked at a few different options, and this seems to more closely match what I am seeking)

From your post it’s hard to tell whether you want something that’s like, say, iWeb, or something that’s more of a CMS like WordPress.

If it’s the former, I’d take a look at Rapidweaver. It’s one of the only native Mac app that’s still under active development.

WordPress is a great CMS but is hardly WYSIWYG when it comes to designing a website from scratch. Sure, you can customise one of the many, many themes out there, but for basic HTML and CSS skills it can be hard to find a theme that you can start from and customise to your liking.

@Jaali: If you are building a site which won’t need updating after its done (a static site), just stick with your basic HTML5+CSS. What you alaready know may well be sufficient. (Or get Rapidweaver as Bennyling suggested)

If you are wanting a site which will need regular updates, then you need a script with which to do it. There are dozens out there. Wordpress is one, but its very popular with hackers. OTOH its really easy to use. Might be worth having a look at the available themes at WordPress Themes | WordPress.org And see if there is something that appeals. It does take a load off when you dont have to think about it, and many of the themes can be tweaked anyway, to a greater or lesser extent, to suit your preferences.

Might be worth signing up for a free blog at http://wordpress.com to test it out. Be aware though, that the free blog has limitations on themes. There’s a lot but you cant directly edit the CSS unless you buy an upgrade. That said, you can still tweak via the WP back end.

If you are planning to use your own domain and you already have hosting, the worpress script is free to use. If you only want to put something in your own webspace… I’d actually recommend being canny about a choice of subdomain on wordpress.com and go there. It will be easier for you.

Or check out SquareSpace. It’s great.

I though I would take a look at it too… $12US a month? I dont think so. There are much better options.

Remember anything offshore will have to eventually start charging you GST. So that will add some additional Cost in the future.

However both SquareSpace and WordPress.com, if you search around should be able to get some plan discounts.

You can get everything you need hosting and domain name wise for about $55 a year. with good reliable companies here in Australia. With a first year discount you can get that down to $19.60.

Yes this is actually becoming quite popular at the moment. Same with buying and hand coding a website using a bootstrapped based template.

Interesting thanks I’m giving that a play with over the weekend. It’s also quite common for a lot of people to convert WordPress into what’s called a headless version. This is also popular with Drupal based websites to.

And is a great application.

There is actually quite a few, add on themes/plug-ins that will allow you to do that with design with WordPress now. Not just meant for developers but normal people.

In the WordPress world they refer to them as “Theme Framework’s”.

@Jaali as you also have some basic coding experience depending on how much you know you may want to look at a framework like bootstrap.

That’s for the same reasons why Windows is very popular with hackers. People forget to do maintenance and basic security tasks.

If you choose a good reliable web host and keep WordPress up-to-date you will not have any problems. And don’t install random themes and plug-ins.

This this this this this.

Keep plugins to a minimum - the more you install, the more impact on resources and the shittier the performance you’ll likely see. Also, avoid caching plugins. They’re shit. If you must cache, use CloudFlare or something.

The more plug-ins you install the more opportunities for attack vectors and the chances of getting exploited.

I used to recommend both, unfortunately I don’t any longer but I’m the other way around. I recommend a caching plugin but you need to set it up properly and do proper fine tuning.

I used to recommend Cloudflare + Cloudflare Railgun specially if your web host supported the latter.

Unfortunately I don’t recommend Cloudflare any more if you’re going for one of the free tears, as the dispute with the Australian ISPs can hurt you as they’ll be forced to fetch your website out of country.

As several of the largest ISPs in this country refuse to peer. https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2550425

However Cloudflare is still a great choice if you’re looking for DNS Hosting.

Or, you can just go free with wordpress.com, get a decent subdomain and it wont cost a bean. The other advantage is that everything is already up to date, and if hackers do find a vulnerability the wordpress team are onto it in a flash.

You get 3GB free and a bunch of free themes to choose from, OR you can go with a commercial theme if you want.

Akismet will deal with spam.

Its a good deal, for $0

I don’t have any problems with people using WordPress.com, Apart from this part pay for a domain name at the least. Because when you’re using a subdomain you essentially control nothing it’s no different to using Facebook or another service.

Also there’s lots of ways to do a self hosted WordPress site for little to no money as well. Not to mention great options for hosting basic websites as well.

Agreed. It was just a suggestion. Zuver has very cheap options, for example, and its Australian hosted.

It’s a perfectly good suggestion, WordPress.com is great just don’t use a subdomain.

I don’t know how I forgot to mention the company in the original reply. This company that I failed to mention is indeed Zuver.

Why? Not everyone needs a full domain.

No, but I really recommend it these days.

Portability is the big one. Let’s say you decide to self-host or move to another hosted platform. Migrate data and take the domain with you. Visitors still reach your blog/site easily.

This also applies for email. I’ve moved email providers a number of times over the years, and I’ve been able to easily migrate email between them. Kept the same address, no downtime, no telling everyone “this is my new address”, etc.