Wednesday Morning News

applephotos-hardware-100618797-largeRumour has it Apple’s iPad Pro with large display will go on sale in the first week of November. Along with the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard accessories, that means pre-orders for the iPad Pro will open in a couple of weeks time, but I know a lot of people who will want some hands-on time before being completely shocked by the price, thanks to the atrocious Australian peso.

Apple’s official statement on the YiSpecter malware is that they’ve already patched the issue as of iOS 8.4, and blocked the apps that were distributing malware that caused legitimate apps to display ads, among other features. Apple also advises the main spread of the malware was via enterprise certificates and private API usage, so as long as you’re getting your apps from the App Store you should be pretty safe.

Public transport in Apple’s own Maps app has gone live in the cities of Boston and Sydney. They’re the first two cities to get public transport directions outside of the original launch cities. I’ve heard the feature doesn’t actually work as well as pre-existing apps, but it could just be a temporary issue affecting launch-day availability.

Another day, another Apple acquisition. This time around it was Perceptio that was acquired, which uses an AI to classify photos on smartphones. TechCrunch notes that Perceptio does all of its advanced calculations on-device, without needing to store user data in the cloud — and if that doesn’t sound right up Apple’s privacy-focused alley, then I don’t know what does.

Porche chose to go with Apple’s CarPlay in-car entertainment solution because the alternative, Android Auto, wanted too much info to be turned over to Google. According to a report from Motor Trend, Android Auto’s requirement to send back vital car metrics meant that Porche didn’t want to reveal that info, so they chose to go with CarPlay, which only needs to know if the car is moving or not.

One of the downsides of the Apple Watch is that it doesn’t track your sleep, at least not straight out of the box. Beddit is looking to change that, bringing their sleep-tracking app to the Apple Watch — in conjunction with their Smart Sleep Tracker, which tracks your quality of sleep and syncs it all back to HealthKit.

Macworld tells you what to do when imported photos don’t appear in your iCloud library, but photos taken on iOS devices connected to your iCloud account do.

The Loop says being able to pin a tab in Safari is one of the best features of OS X El Capitan, even though you don’t need OS X El Capitan for it to work (someone correct me if I’m wrong on that).

Updates from Apple let us know about the availability of app slicing, as well as being able to search WWDC transcripts.

Last but not least this morning, Apple has a bunch of new Apple Watch ads that show off how the Apple Watch can be used in everyday life.

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2015/10/wednesday-morning-news071015/