Wednesday Morning News

two_powerful_lenses_large_2xApple has announced we’ll be able to pre-order the iPad Pro from tomorrow, with the device available in-store later this week. Pricing for Apple’s largest iPad yet starts at $1,249 for the 32GB Wi-Fi only model, going up to $1,699 for the 128GB version that has Wi-Fi and mobile connectivity. Apple also notes the Apple Pencil will be available for $165, with the Smart Keyboard coming in at $269.

Speaking to The Independent, Apple CEO Tim Cook has said the iPad Pro is the closest thing they have to a laptop replacement, especially when paired with an external keyboard.

Cook also had an interview with The Telegraph, where he shared Apple’s vision for the future, as well as the here-and-now goals of positioning the iPad Pro as a laptop or desktop replacement for many people.

And in case you’re wondering what Angela Ahrendts is doing, Fast Company writes she’s been thinking about how to improve the Apple Store experience, among other things.

The Verge says Apple’s iPad Pro has learned nothing from Microsoft’s time with the Surface Pro, with Microsoft’s stumbles proving that people aren’t switching their main computer to a tablet.

Apple World Today writes tvOS 9.0.1 has been released, the first-ever software update for the new Apple TV. Apple has also issued new betas of iOS 9.2, OS X 10.11.2, and tvOS 9.2 to developers.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo speculates it’s unlikely we’ll see AMOLED display adoption in the new iPhone until at least the next version, despite the technology’s success on the Apple Watch.

Apple Music is now available on Android, if that’s your thing.

Pininterest’s latest iOS app update looks interesting, as they claim to be able to identify objects within photos.

Apple’s latest iPad Pro ad shows us the epic creativity and productivity afforded by a larger display on a tablet.

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2015/11/wednesday-morning-news111115/

iPad pro at those prices… No. Maybe if the dollar improves and hell freezes over.

1 Like

I can see it cannibalising MB and MBA sales, but then many people may think (as I do) that a MBA is actually better value.

1 Like

Can I run Premiere Pro on it with my customised hot keys, as well as use of the mouse? I DON’T THINK SO, TIM.

I know Apple has been touting the iPad’s abilities for touch based editing, but… Meh. No thanks.

• Graphic Designer: Can I colour calibrate it? Can I manage my font library on it? Can I work with layers?
  • Developer: Can I compile code on it? Can I use version control?
  • Photographer: Can I import my RAW files? How many RAW photos can I fit on it?
  • Archiver: Can I scan these documents to it and tag with metadata?

Home users like our mums - Can I check my emails on it? Great! Can I browse the web on it? Great! Can I send iMessages from it? Great! Can I play candy crush on it? Great! IT COSTS HOW FUCKING MUCH!? PISS OFF!

This is why I don’t see a “many, many” market for it. It’ll have its niche of professionals (medical being a prime example) but the casual home user will be put off by the price, especially when they see they can get a full laptop for a lower price.

I’m not saying it won’t ever happen as the ecosystem grows, but it’s a market Apple needs to carve out and on day one it’s a tough sell.

1 Like

I switched to Apple because of my journalism work, both video editing, and in newspapers. The newsrooms all used Mac, and the RTF (Radio/TV/Film) classes I took basically required it. Not actually, but it meant you had to live in one of the labs, and compete with everyone else. I bought the very first Mac Mini that came out because of it, although I still did a lot of work at home on PC. But I had real issues with Windows, and I was reinstalling it every six months. In 2008, I discovered many of the parts in my home PC (which was a small Shuttle box) were shared components with the Intel Mac Mini, and that I should be able to Hackintosh it. So I did, and it ran perfectly, right from installation, with only a few easily written KEXTs from me for audio and video. It ran all of the Mac versions of the software I needed (Including Premiere 6.0, which I still had projects in). When parts finally died, I bought a new Mac Mini and a MacBook White, and I haven’t looked back since.

I like iDevices, but iDevices, even the iPad Pro, are not suitable for what I do. And I think there are a lot of people out there in the same boat as me.

You can see an example of my fan work here: