Wednesday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/06/wednesday-morning-news220616/
Twitter Engage iconA paywalled article from the Wall Street Journal corroborates previous rumours that claim Apple is removing the headphone jack in this year’s iPhone. Besides the removal of the headphone jack, only minor design changes are expected in the 2016 iPhone, with the major changes expected to come next year as part of the tenth anniversary iPhone.

The Verge says ditching the headphone jack is user-hostile and stupid. They call out Apple for innovating by removing what is a pretty core feature, saying that wireless headphones are fine but not great. Adapters are another thing to carry around, lose, and buy replacements for, and for what? A little waterproofing?

Rene Ritchie’s thoughts on WWDC this year sum up one of the better Apple events in recent times. And I can agree with most of his sentiments: cringe-worthy moments were kept to a minimum, the content was consistently on-point and even marginalised groups were included. To this day, I can say Apple is one of the only big tech companies that optimises their software for wheelchair users.

A closer look at the macOS Sierra developer preview from 9to5Mac reveals that the beta allows you to re-arrange third-party menu bar extras. Normally these kinds of things aren’t able to be organised, but display in the order of their apps. Sierra looks to change that.

Speaking of developer previews, while iOS 10 and macOS Sierra are all the rage, Apple have released new betas of iOS 9.3.3, OS X 10.11.6, and tvOS 9.2.2.

A US judge has dismissed a lawsuit against Apple for Error 53, otherwise known as the one where iPhones are disabled via third-party Touch ID repairs. The judge said Apple already dealt with problems via software updates and reimbursing customers for official repairs.

Twitter’s latest app is Engage, which Gruber calls “almost totally useless”. I guess if you’re into the whole social media thing or have your own personal brand, then Engage may be useful for you, otherwise it seems like ego-fuel. MacStories has a longer explanation of the idea behind Twitter’s Engage app.

Google’s Prompt is the best implementation of two-factor authentication that I’ve seen. Instead of entering a code sent to your mobile on a website, simply tapping “Yes” when the notification arrives on your phone logs you in.

An update to the Sonos controller app gives the app now-playing controls from the iOS lock screen, as well as 3D Touch peek and pop shortcuts and split view multitasking on iPads.

As the Iconfactory celebrates 20 years, their look back on all the fun graphics they’ve put together over the years is great.

They probably said the same thing when laptops removed LAN ports and moved to wifi… or is this different I wonder…