Wednesday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/08/wednesday-morning-news030816/
verge-2015-11-06_15-38-46.0Apple has released international versions of the Smart Keyboard for iPad Pro. Available for the both the 12.9-inch and 9.7-inch iPad Pro, localised layouts include British English, French, Spanish, Korean, Italian, and Arabic. While Australia only gets the US English version of the iPad Pro’s Smart Keyboard, the other language variants include extra characters on the keys or different key layouts altogether, as in the case of the Arabic keyboard.

With the release of the fourth public betas of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra yesterday comes the release of the third public betas. There’s no difference between the two versions, besides being a number behind — the fourth developer beta and the third public beta are one and the same, released a day apart.

Apple’s emoji revamp in iOS 10 swaps out the revolver emoji for a water gun, which is great from a reducing-America’s-obsession-with-guns perspective, but also bad from a “this goes against the emoji standard” one, as it means that sending someone a fun water pistol from your iOS device means that they’ll see a gun on their Android or other standards-compliant device.

Apple has paid to license streaming video tech from OpenTV’s Kudelski, ending worldwide litigation surrounding patent battles between the two companies. According to AppleInsider, the patents involved storing, securing, and distributing iTunes Store content.

The Sydney Morning Herald had a story yesterday about a biker who was injured by an exploding iPhone battery. The same story also says that the battery suffered some kind of physical impact after a “minor fall”, which was apparently enough to puncture the battery and result in the violent discharge.

Six Colors takes a closer look at the new Apple TV Remote app, which functions as a near-total replacement for the Siri Remote, as well as working with all other generations of Apple TV.

A post on Medium appears to capitalise on the current upgradability of older Macs. 4K and 5K displays might be nice and all, but if you don’t need a super-high quality display, a few quick upgrades can breathe life into your old Mac.

Logitech’s Create keyboard case now comes in a version for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, and the cool thing about it is that it also lets you carry around an Apple Pencil in the case at the same time.

Macworld wonders if Apple is attempting to phase out the pro Mac. The lack of Mac hardware updates definitely suggests that’s the case, but the fact of the matter is that less and less people will need an actual computer when an iPhone and iPad may be all they need.

And that’s exactly what Apple’s latest ad attempts to say. In it, Apple shows off the multitasking features of the iPad Pro, which in conjunction with a touch-sensitive display, one that you can also draw on, making us question what a computer really is.

That day may eventually come but hasn’t arrived yet for a lot of people especially those who use a computer for work. OS X is still a great operating system that does more than iOS.

1 Like

When the iPad was created it was a great companion device. As time progressed more and more people started doing less and less while the power of the iPad got more and more… more people discovered they could get by with just an iPad… But most of those people have pretty basic needs. Little creation and more consumption, and that’s where the iPad excels!

I would have liked to see an iPad Pro be more like the Surface Pro in offering a full on desktop experience along side the ability to run (iOS) apps. Let the user switch on the fly as their needs change. Sadly it seems Apple want to dumb it down to this controlled environment where they own the entire stack, control the whole experience (and pull 30% from it in the process). Of course I understand it’s probably not all that simple

I’ve personally had an iPad 1. Used an iPad 3 at home and then had my own iPad Mini 2. In all cases I’ve ended up handing them to the kids since I couldn’t see it as a serious work tool. Running a website means I need access to a range of tools, some I can get on iOS but they are full of compromises and workarounds… and that’s the last thing you want to deal with.

Bottom line here, the POWER of the iPad is up there with a desktop, but the experience is still too limited for many.

1 Like