Wednesday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2017/04/wednesday-morning-news190417/

Bloomberg summarises everything that we’re expected to see with this year’s iPhone refresh. A bezel-less OLED display featuring curved glass and stainless steel construction are expected to be the headlining features, with a display size that’s larger than the iPhone 7 Plus in a form factor that’s closer to the iPhone 7 being one of the benefits of going with a border-free design.

Possible renderings of the next iPhone show a bottom area that houses the Touch ID sensor, even though having a part of the display you can’t interact with seems like a weird design decision. It’s also possible Apple will remove Touch ID from the iPhone altogether, if they don’t find some way of making it work in a way that integrates nicely with the rest of the design.

Another render of the upcoming iPhone shows the iPhone with 4mm bezels around the display on all sizes, a length will be almost negligible in regular use. The renders show device that is also nearly identical to the iPhone 7 form factor, but with a display that’s 5.768-inches when measured diagonally. Curved 2.5D glass will also be used, like it has been since the iPhone 6.

Apple has made GarageBand, iMovie, and the iWork suite of apps free for all Mac and iOS users. Previously customers had to apply for free downloads when they purchased new hardware that didn’t come with the apps preinstalled, or you could find a workaround to download the apps for free on the Mac App Store. With this change, all Mac and iOS users now have access to Apple’s suite of productivity apps, even if you bought your Mac or iPhone second hand.

Rumour has it the iMac refresh slated for later this year will include an option for a workstation-class Xeon processor. The “server-grade” iMac seems like a strange choice given that the iMac has traditionally been the best all-in-one machine, but here’s hoping we’ll also see new consumer-level iMacs sometime after August.

The internet archive is now emulating early Macintosh software, operating systems, programs, and games from 1984-1989. There’s a small collection of software that’s accessible via a regular web browser, so if you’ve ever wanted to try out MacWrite, now is your chance.

The Wirecutter tells us about the best Apple Watch charging docks and stands. There’s good basic models if you just want something to hold the magnetic Apple Watch charging puck that also supports Night Stand mode, otherwise there’s other fancier models that present your Apple Watch for all and sundry to see.

Logitech’s Pop buttons don’t appear to be available in Australia, which is kind of shame seeing as controlling HomeKit-compatible appliances via programmable buttons is super futuristic. Being able to hook each Pop button up to do three different things sounds great, but I’m sure you could import them if you want to get in on that action.

When most people think of the iBook G3, they think of the 12 or 14-inch variants of the white plastic notebook. For a long time, the iBook G3 was the iconic Mac laptop, and when it was upgraded to the G4 processor, the white plastic branding was firmly cemented in the hearts and minds of consumers.

I opened the post about building a Macintosh Classic out of Lego, complete with a working e-ink display, and as much as I like the Macintosh Classic, I stayed for the Shufflepuck Cafe gameplay video.

1 Like

I lost count of the number of times I had to get the top case replaced on the polycarbonate MacBook. At least 6 I think. The issue where the thin sliver of plastic around the edges would crack and peel was a terrible design flaw.

Oh yes. My Mum got her iBook G4 back in 2003, first laptop in the family and first machine in the family to run OSX (Panther) as the iMac G3 which was the family computer was still on OS9. That machine sadly died of the infamous Vram solder issue in 2008.

This is great news!

I would hope not. I only got Touch ID at the end of last year and its literally one of the best things Apple has ever added to the iPhone.

I have never had the plastic Apple used in the G3 and G4 iBooks crack, yet the MacBook (2006-2009) and Unibody White MacBooks (and iPhone 3GSs) had terribly cracking plastic.

Why would you remove the TouchID? It’s a great feature and very convenient. They’d have to replace it with something just as quick.

1 Like

Because apparently they can’t get the tech right to get it under the screen :confused:

It’s going to be like the headphone jack all over again if they do this.

“Apple removed the headphone jack, and now TouchID, from the iPhones, when both are present in their MacBook Pros!”

Considering TouchID is the key to their entire ApplePay security system, they’re not going to just kill it off from their flagship product without good reason. If it absolutely must stay on the front of the device, maybe we’ll get another year with the iPhone 6/7 design while they figure it out :smiley:

2 Likes

I think this is more sensible. I do think it should stay on the front, moving it to the back would be such a step backwards.

1 Like

I disagree on this, I have an iPhone with the fingerprint reader on the front and an Android with in on the back and find the back mounted one is actually easier to use in many instances.

I do find it amusing that people are always try to pre-empt (sorry I mean guess) what Apple will bring out from ‘leaked’ renderings etc. back in the past it was all clouded in secrecy but these days they are often controlled leaks to keep the media coverage going, much like the day to day lives of the Kardashians I’m afraid that I ignore these leaks.

1 Like

The back mounted ones are horrible!! Half the time I unlock my phone, its sitting on a surface and having on the back would be useless for that. It would also ruin the ability to use many wallet cases, not to mention the general annoyance of it being on the back.

Apple may have to do this:

1 Like