Welcome to AppleTalk Australia

This is a place for Apple enthusiasts to chat about anything related to Apple. Discuss what your favourite Apple product is, ask questions about an issue you’re encountering, and tell us how Apple products are changing your life (for the better, or for the worse).

A few handy links to get you started:

Not sure which category to post your topic in?

• iOS - discussion about iPhones, iPads, and all the software that they run. Found a great app on the App Store, or not sure what iMessage is? Want to chat about the latest iPad or iPhone? Post about it here.
  • Mac - discussion about Macs of every kind, OS X, and all the software that they run. Whether you think the Apple puck mouse was the best one ever made (it totally is) or think the MacBook Pro with Retina display is overpriced for what it is (it totally isn’t), this is where you can let us know.
  • Apple General - discussion about other Apple hardware, including the Apple TV, AirPorts, and even the iPod Hi-Fi, if you really want. Also the place to talk about Apple the company, rumours, and events.
  • Technology and Internet - discussion about other non-Apple technology and internet-related topics. If you found a really great website, or want to talk about how the Raspberry Pi is the best thing since sliced bread, this is the place to do it. Basically, if it’s done on a computer or can be viewed on a screen, it goes in here.
  • Off Topic - discussion about anything else that doesn’t fit anywhere else. You could talk about current events here, what the weather’s like, or anything that takes your fancy. Whatever, really.
  • News - this is where posts from the blog come in. Not actually restricted to just news, either — you’ll see the occasional review, how-to, and editorial posted up here too, with any luck.
  • Meta - discussion about the AppleTalk Australia forums themselves. If you have a suggestion or a want to know about how something in the forum works, post in here and let’s talk about it.

If you’re still not sure which category fits into, post it into the one that you think is the most appropriate and we’ll move it if necessary.

As always, please feel free to get in touch with us at [email protected] if you have any other questions, suggestions, or feedback. We’re always listening!

4 Likes

A bump on this topic for the benefit of some of the new members who have joined us this week :smiley:

Wish I had known of this a lot earlier!! How long do you think it will be before Appletalk is made to change its name, if you recall, Anthony was using it before it became Mactalk, and Apple had a fit!

1 Like

Well, Apple (or their representatives) know we exist - we’ve been accepted to both the Apple Store and iTunes affiliate programs. Hopefully their willingness to a) accept us to those programs, and b) not issue a cease and desist means that we’re okay.

(Knock on wood.)

2 Likes

Hello… :slight_smile:

1 Like

yay, the old forum feeling is back

1 Like

Hello everyone! Good to see all these new and old faces!

2 Likes

This will be my new apple home. The forum structure is foreign but I’ll get used to it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want to see a more “traditional” forum structure, use the Categories tab at the top. But I recommend sticking with Latest - you’ll get used to it quickly. For all its quirks, Discourse is by far the best forum software I’ve ever used.

Just wanted to say hi, was on MacTalk and now migrated across here…
Cheers

Welcome! Let us know if you have any questions or feedback, we’re always listening. :smile:

I believe the Appletalk → Mactalk change also had something to do with advertising, which Appletalk doesn’t have.

Hi guys, just thought I’d say hi. Just joined up a few days ago. Have been a member of mactalk for 11 years but jumped over here for the same reasons most of you have too. Was known as Carlow1 at MT but going for a new name of JDOZ now.

Gosh I remember when mactalk was Appletalk back in the day. Nice to see some familiar members on here too. I’m looking forward to the old forum feeling again. Cheers guys.

2 Likes

Possibly. I thought it was something to do with the now defunct “Appletalk” communication protocol. No matter. Anyway, if Apple and itunes affiliations have been already approved, I’m thinking Toby is right and there isn’t going to be a problem with the name.

Wow - Anthony posts in the MacTalk thread:

http://www.mactalk.com.au/8/119878-whats-happened-mac-talk-4.html#post1221734

Yes, I know, I can’t help visiting MacTalk because… it’s a habit! I loved that place.

Anthony’s last line says it all:

Everyone still here should just abandon ship and stop giving Niche any sort of attention, they don’t deserve your valuable time or knowledge.

5 Likes

The sad thing is that Niche are so disinterested in MacTalk that they don’t even know there’s a mutiny going on.

2 Likes

I agree! I was a mod over there (Goodbye), and have barely visited in the last few weeks let alone do any modly activity. They (Niche) can’t be bothered to even communicate, why should we give them the satisfaction of continuing ad revenue and visits to the site?

2 Likes

Have to agree with Anthony. Unfortunately the time for MacTalk has come to an end. A once great site now destroyed by people who don’t care about it.

It was nice to see Anthony post there again though.

Long live AppleTalk though!

1 Like

Wow. Just came across this after a long time away from MacTalk. Nice to see all the old regulars here :slight_smile:

Yea - was a member of MacTalk since 2005, shame it has died :cry: . I had close to a 1000 posts, contributed financially (before Niche) and had one pinned “How to” Migrate Outlook Express and Outlook Office to Apple mail back in 2005.

Even though in March 2014 I moved back home to Kiwi Land I still participated in that forum, what a loss but we move on and Niche Publishing could not or would not move on.

Shame

Go AppleTalk

Cheers :grinning: