Welcome to AppleTalk, Uh, Again

You’re probably wondering what happened to the AppleTalk blog over the weekend, seeing as it looks a little bare right now. I would be too, except I’m way too tired from watching the World Cup and the ESL One Dota 2 league to play the what-if game, so here it is. Over the weekend the AppleTalk website suffered a small…

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2014/06/welcome-to-appletalk-uh-again/

1 Like

It happens!

Nyeh, it happened to Anthony a couple of time too. Don’t sweat it.

Benny, as a storage and backup professional for many years, I can only sigh - in commiseration of course! Because as Toby knows, my own adherence to a rigorous backup regime is less than stellar!

Very sorry to hear about the glitch, and also sorry about the amount of work for the restore. Just wanted to say that even though I don’t post often, I do regularly read and enjoy the site.

The hard work of you all is very much appreciated.

Whoops. Oh well, on the upside, at least it happened now and not down the track when there’s a heap more content to restore.
I for one appreciate the effort that you’re putting in (and have already put in) to get the content back up.

Hmm. Looks as though re-publishing all the old content wants to re-create topics (for comments) in the forums. I’m considering just re-publishing the features/reviews first, and then seeing if we really need the news posts…

It happens, a shame when it does but it does, I recently deleted the entirety of my Wordpress database thinking it was the test one and not the primary one.

Does the webhost have a database backup that you can restore the Wordpress posts table from? Most webhosts have them if you ask really really nicely (at least the Aussie ones I’ve used).

Sorry to hear guys! Have had my fair share of Wordpress screw ups, should look at a few different automated backup plugin solutions, they can be basic but are always a good fallback to have in the seemingly inevitable case that all others fail.

Not as far as I’m aware, sadly.

I think we’ve learned from this that a backup you haven’t tested is no backup at all.

Well, that sucks! But it happens to the best of us mate, so don’t sweat it :wink:

Better it happens now and not years into the site… and you end up loosing much more content…