What are you actually DOING with your "vintage" Macs?

If I were to consider what the “equivalent” would be or perhaps to say SHOULD be to the computers you describe, seems to me it would be Woz’s baby, the Apple II GS:

I feel the world was robbed because Jobs and Woz disagreed on this and Woz lost. It’s the only pre- resurrection (1998-) Mac I’d be interested in owning.

I relive my childhood, play the games I used to. My childhood was spent on an LC 475, then on the iMac G3 and later an eMac G4. The LC 475 was handed down to me to fiddle with. I used PPC till Year 10 in 2011, so G4 systems in particular make me very nostalgic for a big chunk of my later childhood and teenage years and I still play the games I played then on them.

I like seeing the evolution of programs and having a computer restored to ‘how it was’ isn whatever decade. One day I can be in 1992, another in 2001, then go back to 1986.

At the end of the day, I like having machines to fiddle with, play with and be able to simulate computing in different eras. I was born in 1996, so I also enjoy learning and being able to appreciate computers that predate my experience (which is pretty much everything pre 1994).

I like being reminded of the times where Apple wasn’t so ubiquitous. I remember being the only one at primary school and high school who used an Apple product.

1 Like

My boxed eMac 1.25ghz is going to Geelong city council’s eWaste people as soon as I shred the drive…

Beware the 64 bit Catalina…

I keep older Macs for backwards compatibility.

Al

Yeah, but… dosdude1 already has a patcher:

That makes me sad :’(

I will take some pics and try it again here on the weekend… but otherwise, it’s off to be recycled - or whatever they do to old computer. Probably pull out the logic board and crush the rest. Although - CRT… copper?

IF they sell on eBay, it’s for $20. There’s just no value in them at all, and it’s been sitting around now for a bloody long time… (Ok, same as a few other of my Macs, but this was only ever a workhorse… not like it’s the TAM… :slight_smile: )

Pretty sure I joined MacTalk… then of course called AppleTalk… the year I got my TAM - 2004.

I have a massive love for eMac G4s… I have three, though one I do need to get rid of. We got our first one when I was 7, and our second when I was 10. NextByte in Sydney were clearing them in November 2006, presumably because of the intel transition - my parents bought one so that my siblings and I could have a seperate computer to the family eMac. Used that as my primary Mac up until 2011, when I got my white MacBook.

I do need to hunt down nice front panel, as our 2004 1.25GHZ eMac has terrible scratching on the front.

List is on Gumtree for free. You’ll be amazed how many people come out of the woodwork.

I gave away a Sony KVHR32M31 CRT TV. I had listed it for $20 and no bites. Changed it to free and I was getting 2-3 people per hour wanting to come and get it. Ended up giving it to the first person that responded.

1 Like