What car do you drive?

I actually really like these Corollas. They truly do need an engine update though, probably the only weak spot. For the automatics, the CVT does semi modernise them, but there Is no disguising the fact that its the same engine that is in my 2010 Corolla, which in turn came from the 2001-2007 generation before it. That being said, it is part of what makes it darned reliable.

Mmm, I’ll miss the proper Commodore - the VF Commodores are truly great. I mis the VX commodore wagon my family had, it was an Acclaim V6, nothing special but non the less a great car.

I must admit it was a hard choice between this and the GTI when I was looking. However, my heart won out over practicality, this time…

1 Like

I’m coming from a VE SS Ute - the fuel consumption was what drove me to something smaller. Whilst I love the V8 and nothing compares to it for rear wheel drive fun or the sound, I just couldn’t justify spending $200/fortnight on fuel and the fact that I drive 100km round trip in stop-start traffic means the 6pd manual was getting old too,

They’re great if you do a lot of country driving - they’re as economical as a small car - just not so much when you’re a city dweller.

Oh missed this thread completely. I have a just one year old Race blue Skoda Octavia RS wagon. Had the previous model which has gone to my parents, but got a wagon this time. Same as my other in some ways, better in other ways. Glad I got it before the weird new front update comes out now. My wife is lamenting the other Skoda went to my parents as she now has my 2011 Santa Fe, but my Skoda will go to her in a few years when my work use ends for it. And a Kodiaq is the front runner for me now, unless there is a compelling electric car by then.

1 Like

My Mitsubishi Verada needs a heater replacement after the old one started leaking into the cabin, which means stripping the interior and replacing the carpet, dashboard, some electronics and the heater unit. I needed something to drive, and so I introduce everyone to my 2005 Mitsubishi 380 Limited Edition.

It’s in excellent condition, some minor cosmetic issues but that’s about it. Always serviced on time and with new tyres. Scored it for $4,900. Not sure whether I prefer the 380 or the Verada, because while the Verada has the nicer interior and a smoother ride, the 380 has better performance and handling. Different cars for different purposes.

Had a similar situation with the previous car. Saw your thread on MTAU and noticed that the dealer that sold your car and the dealer that sold mine have almost identical websites as well. Curious.

@iMic I suspect a lot of car yards may use the same template for their websites, but the other possibility is that they are related… though when I checked out their ABN history, there was no evidence of George Miltos / Miltos Investments owning any other car yards…

I’m glad to see that my post on MTAU now seems to be hitting the top page on Google… :slight_smile: Not to mention a few other reviews I’ve offered to warn people of this guy.

Wow. The 380s have not held onto any value whatsoever. I would still consider them a “new” car.

The 380s were losing value even when they were new (as in unused).

They were heavily discounted by dealers in order to sell, then after production stopped there were lots left unsold and those were discounted even further.

I bought a brand new but 2 year old 380 new for $26,000 for my company car at a time when new Holdens and Falcons were mide $30k.

But 4 years later without less than 60,000kms on it the best I could get for it was $10,000.

They’ve only gone down in value since then.

I posted a while back our vehicles but I’ve now gotten rid of the MT09 and replaced it with my new daily. MY17 R1200GS. So good!

Electric everything, heaps of performance, on road and off.

5 Likes

Nice. My father used to have a 1993 R1000GS - great bike can only imagine the performance difference with a model that’s 24 years older.

Anyone here have (or had) an Alfa Romeo, specifically a 159?

This is my little buzzbox. Love it to bits. One of my clients asked me if I’d kept the box it came in.

4 Likes

I always grin when I see one of these on the road, they look like they’d be fun to drive.

I have owned a number of Alfas (but not a 159). Newest was a '98 Spider. I love Alfas.

1 Like

I’m desperate for a 159 after I test drive one a couple of weeks ago. I know the 159s are widely regarded as the first of the “reliable” Alfas, but I have still read lots of expensive stories about them going wrong. :weary:

Took the plunge today. After nearly 70 years of wanting an Alfa I found this 2013, 25,000 kms for $16,800. I hope I’m still happy in a years time!

3 Likes

I still have a soft spot for Alfas. Have owned 4 or 5 in my life… the Fiat era one I owned (only owned one from that era, a '98 2L Spider) was very reasonable to run and no less reliable than anything else I’ve owned. The earlier ones? Heartbreakers.

But you should be fine with the one as it’s a Fiat era car. But… you need to edit your post 'cause it looks like your autocorrect committed marque heresy and called it an ‘Alpha’. It was your autocorrect right? We don’t need to revoke your Alfa licence?? :wink:

The problem with current model cars (any of them, really) is that the cost to do a major repair is usually a significant portion of the value of the car, as the labour is the real expense. Even cars are throwaway now if something major goes wrong. The world just doesn’t make things the way they used to. I threw out a late 90s Holden Vectra as the ECU died and a new one was quoted as $4k+ in 2008, and the car had only cost me just over $6k fully working 2 years earlier, and was worth less than $4k fully working by then, so not with repairing.

The more expensive the car to replace, the more it’s worth ‘paying more than the cost of replacement’ on a repair if you know the service history, but otherwise, cars are sadly throwaway. i.e. my current Polo GTI is probably only worth $7k but I spent about $2.5k on repairs last year as I’ve owned it since new and it’d be $30k to replace with a new equivalent to avoid the risk of the same issue happening on the replacement.

All of which is to say, any second hand car comes with the risk of repairs. I didn’t learn until my 30s that the cost of the car cannot max out your budget - you need to keep some buffer cash for the inevitable repairs, let alone servicing! Expecting to spend money on maintenance, indeed budgeting for it, takes the sting out of it. :wink:

Thanks for the pick up! Didn’t even notice.
Nice one :flushed:

1 Like

Still driving a 2002 Holden Commodore VX2 here, if I were to go car shopping at the moment I’d probably look at something from Hyundai - but thats all pie in the sky as we can’t afford to update the car anyway.

1 Like