What car do you drive?

That’s basically what they would do.

There’s two I’m concerned about, one above the rear window and one alongside the window on the C pillar, which are inaccessible from the inside, but both are extremely shallow (<1mm) without creasing and near invisible in normal light. Hopefully it should be possible to repair those.

The remaining two or three are confined to two removable panels, so I can either repair those or replace the panels cheaply. Around $15 for a guard, and $20 for a boot lid from a self-serve wrecker, give or take.

Shouldn’t there be some liability on the management of the complex to ensure the chain is at least visible or not closed until all the cars have left?

1 Like

Yeah, they’d probably bog. If they’re not structural damage, then as long as they are well epoxied, properly prepped, sanded, primed, painted, and cleared they ought to be fine though.

Insert Might Car Mods references here.

The estimate came back. Dents are repairable without filler, windscreen isn’t as bad as initially thought, but an exterior respray may be required.

$7000.

That’s assuming it needs a complete back-to-metal respray though. Paint correction, removing the dents and addressing the problem areas only would be closer to $2500. This is sounding like the most appealing option so far.

I’m waiting to get some estimates from other repairers as well. The repairer that assessed it does great work, but they are the most expensive, and I’m not after a “brand new Mercedes” level of finish. “Five year old Mitsubishi” is more than adequate.

I haven’t a clue. Honestly, It’s not something I’m particularly interested in bringing up. My concerns are valid, but it’s on me to prove their validity, state my case, acknowledging my involvement in the incident without accepting all responsibility for it, which means getting a lawyer involved…

It’s another headache I could do without. I’m already stressing about some other things, and if I can get the cost of repairs somewhere on the lower end ($2500 to $3500-ish) of that scale, I’ll just fix it, consider it a learning experience, never visit that place again, and be done with it.

1 Like

In NSW, at least, fair trading can give you some advice on your rights and how to proceed with making a claim.

@iMic - You should be able to get some free advice on the situation from your local consumer affairs type people…

It sounds like hopefully it will not cost more than you are “hoping” and comfortable with. You could still put together a letter to the property owner / management, showing them the quotes you’ve received to repair the damage, and asking them to contribute (ie say 50%) to the repairs. Just keep it matter of fact.

If they help out, great, if not, and the repairs are within your means, nothing ventured / nothing gained…

2 Likes

Went looking around at new cars this past week or so, at all different price points, some Mitsubishi Magna, Verada and 380 sedans at different trim levels, along with entirely different makes and models of car, and -

- decided to fix this one.

Because anything I purchase has to be better. Better paint, better tyres, better mechanics or better features, otherwise there’s no point buying another car at all. And finding another all-rounder, that is a combination of those factors, isn’t as simple as I thought.

There were cars with good exteriors, but incomplete service records or outright skipped services. Some had excellent interiors, but scuffed, scratched, faded and dented outer bodies. Some were mechanically excellent, but had worn out interiors and exterior panels.

And while there were cars better than mine, there were none that were so much better that they justified the extra upfront cost and later hassle of selling mine. That is, until we started getting into the high four, low five figures. There were some good all-rounders there, but then I’m spending more on the purchase than it would cost to resolve the issues with mine, especially considering that if I were to DIY some of the repairs, those costs would come down further.

Plus, any repair work would be fresh - new components, new trims, new paint - compared to purchasing a car with parts or paint that looks good now, but could be only 6-12 months away from starting to present issues.

So it seems as though the 380 stays, and I now have some work to do.

Still have this. Its nearly 18 years old. And still going well.

1 Like

I upgraded from steel wheels with plastic hubcaps to genuine Toyota Alloys which were offered as an upgrade for my Corolla - I got them cheaply second hand and they look a lot better!!

I have to say, I’m loving CarPlay. Finally moved onto my full license at the beginning of last month so I can finally use it. I put the new Sony head unit back in January, its been a long wait to properly use it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

In the interests of continuing my reputation for good decisions but bad taste, I picked up this newie a few weeks ago for $34.

1999 AU Fairmont Ghia, with all the goods, and by goods I mean… well sure, all you see in the pics. I think I’m turning AUs into a habit.

THIRTY-FOUR???

Blinkin’ ‘eck, I want your car source.

1 Like

My groceries cost more than $34! :joy:

1 Like

Right place right time is all! To be fair it is a 20 year old car (birthday this month) that needs a few mechanical things to be put right - but they’re maintenance issues. It was a farm car that had farm maintenance, so it got fixed when it broke, but not before :slight_smile:

Took delivery of a new car in September. Zero fuel (petrol or diesel ) used, less than $50.00 electricity used in 3000Km,live near a free NRMA super charger and a free Destination charger at my local coffee shop. Coffee bill about $300 dollars for 1 coffee per day, but I was spending that any way.

Tesla Supercharger at Silos Winery, Berry, about 15 minutes drive away

4 Likes

Which model did you go with? I’m seriously considering a Model 3 when my lease is up next year.

Initial thoughts and what charging infrastructure (if any) do you have at home?

I went with the now unavailable Model 3 PD-, which is the dual motor long range performance model without the additional performance upgrade features or 20 inch wheels, bigger brakes, lowered suspension, carbon fibre rear spoiler very slightly higher top speed and about .2 second faster 0-100. With the latest software update mine does 0-100 in 3.2 seconds. About 440 hp. It is scary how fast it accelerates. Did it once and decided I am never doing that again :see_no_evil: It is worth doing the Tesla stretch to the long range version. 90% charge (recommended max for better battery life) gives over 450km range, unless you are testing acceleration :blush:

The technology is very impressive. Most features can be conrtolled via you phone, including proximity locking/ unlocking, turning the air-conditioning on so the car is cool when you get in and much more. Auto cruise control and auto steering means on freeways the car will stick to the lane and the speed limit, need to apply gentle pressure to the steering wheel to show you have not gone to sleep. Seats are very comfortable. Soud system is amazing. No Apple airplay but can stream from your phone. Comes with aTestra4G SIM. Includes 1 year of Spotify, Live maps with Traffic. Includes Netflix, UTube and a web browser that can be used whilst in park. I have the Full self driving package which includes auto parking and the best party trick ever, advanced summons. In a car park, the car will drive it self to you. It’s still a Beta feature so I haven’t tried it in a crowded car park or when there is a car either side of the car. I have done it in a mostly empty car park, it reversed out of its spot, did a two point turn, drove about 50 metres and and stopped next to me, If you keep walking the car will follow.

Charging: Tesla includes a wall charger that you can have installed at home/or work. Having mine installed on Monday, quoted $400 with a 25amp supply. Also supports 32amp 3 phase. Also include is a travel charger with 10 amp and 15 amp tails. I purchased a 5pin 32 amp tail that can be used in most Caravan parks, Showgrounds. A nornal 10amp power point takes about 27 hours to charge from 20% to %80 percent, so I plug the Car in every night. There are also lots destination chargers that are usually 25 amps,so will add a couple 100kms in 30 minutes. Lots of Stocklands and Westfield shopping Centres have them and they are free. More accommodation places are getting them and are usually free for guests. Tesla has a network Superchargers, that use DC charging, will go from 10% to 90% in about half an hour but cost 40 cents per kilowatt. Many of these are near food places so you can go have a meal whilst the car is charging. You probably should have a beak anyway after driving 300 to 400 Km. In NSW the NRMA has installed a number of Fast chargers thta a free to use. In Queensland the Government has built the " Electric Highway" from I believe Brisbane to Cairns.

The Tesla webpage shows all Tesla Superchargers and Destination chargers and can be used to plan longer trips, with recommended charging stops and directions. These show on the 15inch display in the car.

Plug share and charge fox apps can also be used to show Tesla and non-Tesla charging points. I live on the NSW South Coast, near Berry. I have lots of charging options. I think most places on the east coast have charging options, A few people have successfully driven from Adelaide to Perth and Adelaide to Cairns, so with pre-planning charging is not an issue. If you are only traveling less than 100k its easiest to charge overnight at home.

Lastly it is by far the best ( and also the most expensive) Car I have ever owned

2 Likes

Or you could wait for the truck version [Tesla truck] (WATCH LIVE! Elon M)

I love that Tesla!

I bought a new-to-me thing.

1 Like

The Honda Jazz (or Fitt) depending where you are is one of the all time cleverest small car designs. Great choice!

1 Like