What's your current Apple/Mac setup at home (and at work)

home desktop: Apple Mac Pro 2009
home laptop: Gateway Windows7 “something, something, keyboard is dead”
phone: iPhone 6S Plus 64Gb
game console: AppleTV4, XBox One, Commodore Amiga 1200, Atari 130XE :slight_smile:
work laptop: Google ChromeBook Pixel ? (I have no idea)

Current setup at home is:

• Mac Pro (Early 2008) at home (8 core @ 2.8Ghz) with 3 displays (1x Dell 30-inch @ 25601600, 2x Dell 20-inch @ 12001600 in portrait)

On the Road:

• 15-inch MacBook Pro (Late 2016) for the road
  • iPhone 7+ Jet Black 128Gb

Mine is so simple (or bare) compared to most here :no_mouth:

• Daily uni workhorse is a mid-2014 13" MacBook Pro (256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM)

• Home workhorse is a mid-2015 27" Retina iMac (1 TB Fusion Drive). This is shared between myself, my dad, and my sister. It lives in the study. Very powerful

• iPhone 6 (Space Grey) (just got the battery replaced by Apple, as it had done close to 1,000 cycles :money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings:)

• iPad mini 2 (Silver) (love it, but it’s getting a bit slow)

• AirPods (in love with them)

• Apple TV 3

Eyeing off the Apple Watch now, but I’m telling myself I need to wait for the (rumoured) update later this year.

I’m the OP, but since my original post 2 years ago, my setup has moved on, so here’s my current setup:

Home:
2012 Quad Core Mac Mini Server,
27’ Thunderbolt Display
Apple TV 4
6 Tb external Thunderbolt LaCie
12 Tb external Thunderbolt Promise Pegasus R4 RAID
Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 WiFi Router

On the road:
2016 15’ rMBP touch
2015 12’ MacBook
iPhone 7+/7
iPad Pro/4/2/Mini
AppleWatch 2 42mm

I’ve got one of those things also. I’ve never really tried to game on an Apple TV. I did see some sort of car racing simulator that looked interesting in the Apple store but it wasn’t hooked up to play. Mostly my Apple TV is an iview/SBS on demand machine because there’s nothing else worth watching on Free View.

Setting up an old 2007 iMac at the union office:

It’s been 18 months and not a lot has changed, still more tech than is necessary… I’ve sold a few things, bought my son a 2nd hand iPhone and a 2nd hand gaming rig and a new monitor for it (which was almost all paid for through selling the Thunderbolt Display!). I’ve also upgraded the Airports I had around the place with a couple of Ubiquity UAC-AP-Pro units which are nicely ceiling mounted and very pretty :smiley:
I keep thinking I should sell off the things that continue to gather dust, but then I also figure I might find a use for them one day :stuck_out_tongue:

Still in Use:
MacBook Air 2011 (i5/4GB/512GB)
MacBook Pro Retina 2013 (i7/16GB/512GB)
iPad Mini Gen 1 32GB x 2
iPad Mini 2 32GB x 2
iPhone 6 Plus 128GB
iPhone 6S 64GB
iPod Touch (Gen 3 30pin 8GB) x 2
iPod Touch (Gen 5 32GB)
iPad Gen 3 32GB
Time Capsule 2TB

New Shiny Things:
iPhone 5S 64GB
AppleTV Gen 4 x 2

Gathering Dust:
MacBook Air 2011 (i5/4GB/256GB)
iPad Gen 3 32GB
AirPort Extreme (4th Gen?)
Airport Express (3rd Gen) x 2
Apple Bluetooth Keyboard (3rd Gen)
Magic Trackpad (Gen 1)
Apple USB Keyboard with Numpad
Belkin Thunderbolt Dock (Gen 1)

Sold on to new homes:
Mac Mini 2010
27” Thunderbolt Display
24” Samsung Display

Non Appley things:
2014 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (i5/8GB/256GB)
New: Gaming Rig: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8GB RAM, an R280 and a 120GB SSD paired with an Acer 27 LCD - T272HUL
New: Ubiquity UAC-AP-Pro x 2

So here’s the 2008 Mac Pro with 2 x Quad Core (that’s Octocore) 2.8GHz Xeon processors, 10Gbs of RAM, 60GB SSD for MacOS, 320GB and 1TB SATA storage drives for source/scratch disks, and while I don’t have a long enough SATA cable, I’ll be putting my Blu-Ray drive into the second optical bay, it’s currently external via USB. The Mac Pro currently has a DVD-RAM burner already. Currently has 10.11.6 El Capitan but can be patched to allow for macOS Sierra 10.12.x. Graphics are currently an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB, but with Nvidia drivers now covering the entire GeForce GTX line, I’ll probably get something better eventually.

Both my MacBook Pro and my Mac Pro are backing up to a 1TB Time Capsule, which is also my internet router, both wired (for the Mac Pro) and wireless (for my MacBook Pro and iDevices). I have a wired JIS JP keyboard, wireless US keyboard, original magic mouse, and second generation remote. Also iPhone 6S and iPhone 4 (currently on loan to a friend who broke her phone).

Non-Apple things: Bose speakers (for enjoyment), Sony headphones (for editing), LG Flatron IPS 23" monitor (probably will be replaced or doubled, but not any time soon), Epson EB-S62 projector.

I live in a small studio, so images include stuff that is important to me like my Japanese diploma, some posters, figures, awards (Katsucon and Anime Evolution are visible), animoo source not ripped to Mac Pro harddrives, clothing, etc.

1 Like

My main setup is a Mid-2014 13" MacBook Pro that runs in clamshell mode with an external 27" Samsung display.

In the loungeroom there’s a ATV 3 that is mainly used for Netflix and the occasional iTunes movie - although there will be more now that we’re on cable now :smiley:

Then there’s my 128GB iPhone 7 Plus and my wife’s 64GB iPhone 6, I’ve also got an Apple Watch that pretty well lives on my wrist - to the detriment of my nice watch

There’s also an ageing iPad4 that is used for web browsing and not much else.

Ok well…
My main machine is a 27" iMac 2015 model But the thing with my setup is that I do audio narration and voiceover work, so I have a booth in my understaff cupboard. So I have run a HDMI cable and a series of XLR cabling under the floor. So the iMac is in my ‘control room’ (that’s just my study), it’s connected to a OWC Dock, the HDMI goes from the dock to an external monitor and bluetooth keyboard and mouse in the booth so I get no computer noise. I also have a Thunderbolt audio interface and run Pro Tools.

I also have a Thunderbolt 4-bay storage system with 4 1TB SSDs and it’s all backed up to a TM and a Synology Diskstation.

I didn’t want to start a new desktop thread, but since the Mac Pro is a different system, I went ahead and changed its wallpaper. My first wallpaper change in years.

In case you don’t get the reference, this is Osaka from Azumanga Daioh, and she’s associated in certain circles with Apple, due to this AMV (anime music video) HELL clip:

Now with Sierra:

I’m at the end of my Mac and other computer life and can only upgrade to slightly newer (but second hand) stuff.

Desktop: Mac Mini late 2012 with 16GB and a 500GB HD which I really should replace with an SSD. Screen: Dell U2410.
Laptop: 2010 white macbook: I’ve replaced the dying battery with a refurbed one, and the HD with a 250GB SSD. Added 8GB RAM
Then theres the iPad Air2 which is what I use most of the time for most things
IPad Mini 1 which is as slow as a wet week and I really should sell it
AppleTV4 which is only used for streaming video or catchup TV
Apple Watch Series 1 because I dont need the GPS
IPhone 6S 64GB.

IN drawers and boxes
IPhones 2G, 3GS and 4S
AppleTVs 2 (jailbroken) and 3.

I tidied up and put the Mac Pro on top of one of the desk shelves, and did a decent job with cable management. I moved the MacBook Pro to the exact height for standing. This also makes it much easier to work the projector with the MBP. Blurred out some personal information (although it’s in Japanese).

1 Like

Oh my lord, it looks like an actual desk now!

Meant to get this up sooner…

2 Likes

Nice setup!

1 Like

I know I’ve been on a thread necro rampage here, but I finally have a setup that I am kind of happy with

• 2014 13" MBP
  • Samsung S27D590 27" Curved Monitor
  • 10.5" iPad Pro
  • iPhone X
  • Various Lego sets.

Cleaning all day and:

1 Like

Update with all of the Macs currently functional (the Mac Mini remains non-functional, but it’s also not my personal property and has been returned to the office):

– Mac Pro 3,1 (Early 2008)

• 2 x Quad-Core 2.8Ghz Intel Xeons
  • 16GB of RAM
  • 250GB Samsung Evo 860 SSD Boot Drive (MacOS Mojave 10.14)
  • 2 x 250GB Samsung Evo 850 RAID 0 Boot Drives (MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6)
  • 2 x 1TB HDDs (Samsung and Western Digital Green) for storing source, projects, and media files.
  • MSI NVIDIA GTX 660 (MacOS Mojave)
  • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 950 (MacOS High Sierra, no web drivers yet for Mojave)
  • NVIDIA GT 710 (always works, native driver support)
  • Pioneer Blu-ray ReWritable Drive (when it wants to work?)

– MacBook Pro 11,5 (Mid-2015)

• Quad-Core 2.5Ghz Intel i7
  • 16 GB (soldered, eww) RAM
  • 1TB PCIe SSD
  • Intel Iris Pro 5200/AMD Radeon R9 M370X

–MacBook4,1 (White-08)

• 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 4GBs of RAM
  • 60GB SSD Boot Drive (Linux Mint 19)

–MacBook2,1 (Black-06)

• 2.0ghz Intel Core Duo
  • 2GBs of RAM
  • 60GB SSD Boot Drive (Linux Mint 19)

–Peripherals

• Bose Companion 2 Series II speakers
  • Apple Keyboard, wired (JIS)
  • Apple Keyboard, bluetooth (US)
  • Apple Magic Mouse (replaceable, rechargable batteries)
  • Sanwa Supply Optical Mouse, usb wireless

I still haven’t purchased new headphones, it’s on the list, but i haven’t found a pair I like yet. I have AKG earbuds.

–Networking/Storage

• 1st Gen Apple Time Capsule 3TB (backups, backups, backups)

–Phones

• iPhone 4 (glorified iPod, emergency phone)
  • iPhone 6S (world phone, use it in the States)
  • Samsung Galaxy S8+ (normal Japanese phone)

Is that the black polycarb macbook? I had the hots for that in a big way.

1 Like