Where are all the new Macs?

Continuing the discussion from Monday Morning News:

On the one hand, most people don’t need the computing power of any modern Mac — we’ve long surpassed the point where “speed bumps” are a necessary upgrade. On the other hand, a nicer screen, or more storage at the same price points are all welcome improvements thanks to Moore’s law, but where do we, and more importantly, where does Apple go from there?

I didn’t think a lack of Mac updates would be as big as deal as it currently is. Relatively few people are upgrading their Macs every year, but everyone being on different product cycles means that there’s enough people wanting to upgrade that “can’t” due to Apple’s current product cycle and knowing that there’s some upgrade that’s weeks, maybe months away that means the machine they went to JB Hi-Fi and bought for 10% off will be “the old model”, despite being current when they bought it.

Hell, even I’m thinking about what my next Mac is. I have no reason to upgrade from my specced-out late-2013 MacBook Pro, but I’m not even sure what kind of upgrades would tempt me. It’s way more than enough for what I do with it day-to-day, and coupled with a Thunderbolt dock and 4K external display, I’m all set. But in a year or two, hopefully there’ll be a Mac that will answer that question for me.

It’s entirely possible we’re seeing some kind of confirmation bias here — of course the Apple blogosphere would be saying there’s a lack of Mac updates and how that signals the end of the world, which is why I said in the morning news that we as consumers expect yearly updates, despite there being no real reason beyond “faster, cheaper, better”.

Which brings us back to the question: if you’re holding off buying a Mac, why? Because the next version will have more storage at the same price point? Because there’s the possibility, however remote, that next MacBook Pro will have some amazing new feature that will make you wish you waited? If your answer is the latter, how many times has that happened when you’ve been up for an upgrade? Maybe once or twice at best, right?

Perhaps there’s a different problem here, and it’s that Apple’s prices for machines don’t change, except when new models are introduced and price protection is applied to the old models. It helps keep Apple’s profits high, but it also means consumers have this perception that they’re not getting enough value for money, seeing as they’re paying the same amount for a machine a year later that someone else paid for theirs when the machine was fresh off the Keynote. Perhaps this lack of value for money (perceived or otherwise) is why people want yearly updates, so they can continue to get what they’re paying for, whether that’s a minor speed bump or a product release cycle that’s largely reliant on improvements in other areas rather then solely relying on Apple innovation. (As a fun experiment, try thinking of ways Apple could improve the trackpad. Keyboard? Hinge design? MagSafe? The list goes on.)

What about this: instead of releasing “new” (speed bumped or otherwise) Macs every year, Apple moved to two years between Mac updates, and simply dropped the price in the “off” years. Not massively, say somewhere between 5-15% depending on how the market is doing, but enough to make a difference. Would it influence your buying decisions then? Would you be more or less OK with buying a Mac at a discount, even if it was a year old, knowing full well that a new model would be coming in the next year?

All interesting stuff, though. Innovation is great and all, but there comes a point innovation becomes extremely difficult without compromises in other areas. There comes a time where you have to start something new entirely. Yes, even if that involves removing every port on a laptop. Even if you have to remove a near-ubiquitous port on a portable music device. But people, by golly, will have their yearly updates. Or else!

Come on Apple… I know the iOS devices make $$$, but don’t forget your roots… Macs!!!

It’s felt like Apple have been moving away from their traditional ‘fan’ base type user and towards phones more and more over the last few years and given the sales I can understand why.

The model reductions in the Mac range and the decreasing ability to upgrade them are annoying (to me at least).

And on top of that if the iPhone goes Lightning only (and that looks increasingly probable) then I suspect a lightning only iPad won’t be far behind (Boo! Hiss!).

We’ve held off updating our 27 inch iMac and the MacBook Pro because to be honest the newer models don’t really offer anything much over the ones we’ve got now :unamused:

I’m ready for two new laptops, but waiting for upgrades.

I think that the slowing of the CPU update cycle by Intel is at least partly to blame.

For a lot of people who like technology, sometimes it boils down to wanting to be at the cutting edge (if not the bleeding edge) especially when you are paying a premium price. For example, why would you buy a current model Mac Pro now, when the hardware is older than what you can get if you go Windows or Hackintosh? There are newer CPUs and other hardware out there. I know what you mean - instead of buying a current model Mac Mini which is based on 2014, I’ve gone for a late 2012 model, so it’s not always about the latest tech, but about how the tech is being used, and ultimately, the performance - but this is the thing - even if it’s all about performance, there’s no point upgrading my 2012 MacBook Pro as the current model is not much faster or better - hence I might as well wait for the next major update, as there are already new hardware out in other laptops, that have yet to make it to Macs.

Even as someone who enjoys video editing as a hobby, I think processor power over the past decade or so has become a totally irrelevant specification on a computer.

Sadly, Apple’s idea of relevant specifications seem to solely revolve around simplicity and anorexic dimensions…

My next desktop will be the last iteration iMac to feature an optical drive. Or maybe back to towersville if I can pick up a pre-obilisque Mac Pro and some nice displays… But that wont be happening any time particular soon - no real need - my 2009 iMac performs admirably…

(Probably, my next upgrade will be forced by Apple in order to communicate with my hand held devices.)

For me its about having a retina on a Macbook Air. Macbook 12 is too small

1 Like

To be fair to Apple there’s also the fact that Apple manufactures hardware that is of a high quality (generally speaking). My 7 year old laptop is working just as well (dodgy battery notwithstanding) as it did when I first got it. So unless you absolutely need the latest and greatest, which very few people do, an older Apple machine will be just fine, whereas an older machine from another manufacturer may be on its last legs.

1 Like

Money. Or rather lack of it. I’m going to have to make do with my 2012 Mini, and my 2010 white macbook, for the forseeable future. I’ve upgraded the macbook far beyond its value if I tried to sell it, but you know, its working really well. Not sure I like El Cap on it but we will persist.

The Mini still needs an upgrade to SSD, or to a much larger HD at the very least.

Once one is on a pension, upgrading because something appeals to you is no longer on the cards.

I also would like to replace my mid-2010 mini, but is unlikely that will be a mac. I haven’t been closely following technology for a few years, but it strikes me that Apple should make an excellent big screen with a hot ssd computer/server inside for all our home needs, and I would snap it up. I’m probably not thinking right about it, for example, I hate using cloud storage, but when I look at all the devices I have around my house (two laptops, a mini, a nas, a drobo, various phones, a smart tv, a router, and all the old stuff in cupboards and drawers and the chook-shed), I’ve obviously wasted huge amounts of cash on redundant computing power looking for a simple solution that I have no idea what it looks like, and Apple was meant to be the company that makes “[insert releveant advertising tag]”.

By year’s end, hopefully

• sell late-2009 27" iMac
  • sell late-2013 13" rMBP
  • swap iPhone 6S for iPhone 7 at Telstra
  • buy late-2016 13" or 15" rMBP
  • buy late-2016 iPad Air or Mini (maybe)
  • buy Apple TV 2nd or 4th gen (maybe)

I have no reason to upgrade, my 2014 rMBP runs all the VMs and video editing software I could need and my late 2009 iMac is still performing the tasks I bought it for nearly 7 years ago albeit with an SSD now.

About the only thing that goes bad in current model Macs is the battery and even that takes a few years with moderate use.

With 512GB of SSD storage in both my machines running out of space isn’t really an issue either - all the video editing is done off a thunderbolt drive. So long as you don’t hoard things in your main drive there’s no reason to run out of storage unless you cheated out and only bought 128GB of storage.

1 Like

The lack of ability to upgrade storage (and in most cases even memory!) on modern Apple desktops and laptops is making me stick with my late 2012 MacBook Pro as my sole Mac machine (despite the major issues with unreliable USB and Thunderbolt - plugs often need to be wriggled and jiggled to reliably connect even with new devices/cables) and move back to Windows based PCs for my general day to day use as I need the ability to upgrade storage and memory as I want to when I want to. I’ve also found Apples more recent OS X releases (Yosemite and El Capitan in particular) pretty bad from the reliability and usability standpoints.

Apple’s main money earner and therefore main focus has been the iPhone for the last few years and as a result the Mac line has suffered and will continue to do so.

The lack of upgradeability sucks, but it just means you need to spec it right at the start (and pay the Apple premium for their upgrades).
Getting 16GB of RAM isn’t too bad on the hip pocket and is as far as MBP’s go anyway so if you need any more than that you’re not buying a MBP.

Storage is a problem. 512GB is OK but going up to 1TB is stupid expensive from Apple.
BUT!
You can upgrade the SSD’s in later models now:

(although you’re still limited to 1TB)

RAM is going to be more important than storage now that external drives are becoming cheaper, faster and larger.

1 Like

I guess that’s true but an external drive can be a pain in the backside at times, I prefer to have everything in one and think that Apple need to make their machine upgradable again.

I’d like to see a ‘stack a Mac’ - think of a Mac Mini type form factor where you can stack together components to build a machine that suits your need. The base machine has a basic CPU, memory and disk but by manner of an expansion bus you can ‘stack’ extra items on the machine, want to add another CPU or replace the current one simply buy the module and stack it on, stack disk, add a better graphics card, add a 10 GB network module etc. I know that it is not something Apple will ever do as they WANT you to upgrade every 2-3 years and buy a whole new machine but this kind of thing could be done with relative ease by exposing the system bus externally. I guess in many ways the USB C/Thunderbolt 2 bus could handle much of this itself but neither bus has gained wide industry acceptance at the moment (due to licensing costs perhaps?)

If Intel product cycle is extended then the obvious is that Apple should have planned two years ago that new macs should have some other reason to prompt an upgrade.
It isn’t as though Intel hasn’t been clear what is happening to their chip cycle well in advance. It is that Apple execs and Board appear to have decided that the Mac market has matured and the company is just rolling them along the horizontal part of the product life curve and any more upgrades will only appear at the point Apple is worried the curve is turning downward.

Apple is an phone company that plans to make a car. Steve jobs is dead and the numpty in charge thinks all he needs to do is refine the supply chain and chase good press for doing stuff that makes him feel good but is unrelated to earning his pay.

If they finally release new macs they will be thoroughly Ived. Minimalist and as appliance like as possible. I have been buying macs since 1985. When I stop, it will be with sadness and recognition that Apple isn’t the company it once was.

3 Likes

I completely agree, and this is the reason that I am not looking at upgrading my (late 2012) MacBook or my ageing (2009 or 2010 I think) iMac.

Apples recent OS X releases (at least the last two for me) have been lacklustre and far from as stable and easy to use as OS X used to be, they are simply pumping out an annual release because they feel they need to rather than for any real reason.

That’s taking the concept of the “app” store too far. I want my Macs to be computers that perform the role of the “brain” of the household as an extension of my cognition and beyond, and not an appliance that performs menial mundane daily tasks.