Who's buying the iPod touch? Or iPods at all, for that matter?

With all the news surrounding the iPod touch lately I thought I’d start a topic on who, exactly, is buying these things.

Rene Ritchie of iMore points out a few possible candidates:

And if anyone is the least bit price sensitive, if anyone wants something pocketable but doesn’t want the phone bits, then the iPod touch remains one of the best options.

But the question is… surely the niche for someone who wants an iOS device without the phone bits is pretty slim? I can see the case if you just wanted to carry a feature phone and an iPod touch with you, but why not consolidate the two and just get an iPhone?

Has the iPod had its day, or does unboxing one still make your kid’s face light up at Christmas?

My ten year old niece keeps asking her parents for an iPod Touch.
A friend of hers has one with the justification that it’s ‘not a phone’.

I also know of a few people who buy nanos purely for workout devices,
even dedicated android users.

I’ve recently started using my old iPod nano again, simply because it’s a neat little device. I also use my old iPod classic on a daily basis.

I’m sure my reasoning for buying it still stands for a bunch of different industries today - I was working at a facility that didn’t allow employees to bring phones in. For music I needed something small - the nano was the perfect solution.

It’s for the kids I reckon. Loads of the girls at my wife’s school have an iPod Touch. Every time I catch the bus to work I see more kids with them than without.