Why I Think I've Stopped Buying New Apple Products

I don’t doubt it is. My point was that there was a time that we could no longer run software on a computer because of the limitations of the hardware. Now software companies (and Apple isn’t the only one) are introducing artificial cut-offs for software, which can be circumvented, proving it’s not because of hardware limitations. We should be able to run whatever version of software we want to run on our machines until the hardware is incapable of running it, without having to resort to ‘extra steps’. I don’t want to keep hassling your 70 year old parents every time I want to know how to upgrade my software. :slight_smile:

It is easy now but that may not always be the case. I still think it’s a factor and could affect our ability to run hardware the length of time we would like to. That’s all I was trying to say.

Oh, to be sure, that wasn’t criticism of you! If it came off that way, I apologise. I absolutely agree it would be nice if these artificial cut-offs didn’t exist. All that said, I’ve been writing my own kexts since 2008 now, so I’m used to needing this or that kind of function, and in comparison, the Sierra/High Sierra patch is pretty minor “jiggery pokery.”

Apple has always created some kind of artificial sandbox type situation, going all the way back to modifications I made to 2001/2002 G4 Towers to make them run Leopard well. They’re trying to give a best user experience to a general user. We are not general users. I am definitely not a general user. I have very specific workflow needs because of my editing work. I get used to doing it My Way, although ironically, MacOS is STILL out of the box closer to My Way than Windows has ever been. That’s why I stopped using it. But tweaks are still necessary, so I’ve accepted them as the price I have to pay.

1 Like