Would you walk?

My friend and I ran a pretty successful IT business in Darwin, but the problem was, and I’m sure this is not just a Darwin thing, but clients wanted the earth but didn’t want to pay for it. Mind you I’ve generally noticed that Darwin does have the tightest people I’ve ever seen. They’d expect service straight away but as soon as you mentioned a call out fee and a wait, they’d crack the shits big time. Why should I have to wait 2 hours and pay a call out. It should be free. In the end we dumped the call out fee and raised prices, that didn’t really help, but it did stop the arguments about call outs. After that they’d just try and argue price and haggle. Often saying I’ll find someone else. Calling back half an hour later to book in a time, after failing to find a really cheap IT business. Ironically that would often mean the wait was now longer.

That’s not to say all clients were horrible, a lot were salt of the earth. They’d be understanding and more than happy to pay for quality service and parts. But as time moved on, business clients sold businesses or got out of business and it became harder to find decent clients.

I managed the web hosting, web design etc. after a while that became a “why am I paying you, I can build my own website on wix.” I tried to explain that they were getting custom design website specific to their needs, but most jumped to wix. In the end a lot called me to ask for help and support with the wix set up etc. when I mentioned charging them they’d crack the shits, but it’s free! My time isn’t. I sort of realise now I undid myself, where most people would charge money to do small odd jobs and updates for clients. I wouldn’t. I thought I was value adding to our services, but it just meant they’d expect any small jobs to be free.

In the end my business partner and I decided we wanted different things. We both moved down south, I went into media and he became a web services manager.

Hey @iMic,

One of the things I tell myself… whether true or not I’m not 100% sure… is that at least in the job I’m doing, I get to spend a fair bit of time setting up complex Excel spreadsheets, tinkering with formulae, getting things right. Which I enjoy - almost harks back to playing with HyperCard as a kid. If I didn’t have that…

It really sounds like there’s nothing holding you at your job now. Time to put as much time as you can into finding something new, whether it’s with another business in the same industry, or something new entirely… (Sparky? Probably not as technical as component level work… and lots of dirty dark holes to climb in to service poorly kept wiring…)

1 Like

I’ve thought about it for a while, and decided to walk.

I’m not sure when, but I’m aiming before the end of this year. I’m looking at other job options and even enrolling in a Mechanical Engineering degree to start chasing a new dream.

I’m constantly tired. Working for Apple is a massive brain drain, and the culture of fear the company has created for its service channel, combined with poor communication between departments, defective service parts, limited documentation and access to information, intense scrutiny and the threat of litigation left me trapped in an anxiety-riddled hell. Time to move on.

Run for it, mate.

2 Likes

Mate, it’s never too late to change. I’m 31 and just completed my first year of a Bachelor of Marketing and Communication.

Gotta say, it’s the complete 180 on my old job and it’s nice to be using my brain again for different things.

Currently in discussions about a new position with another company, which is looking to be essentially a done deal at this point. Something different from computer servicing as well.

I’ve also been accepted into a Bachelor of Engineering Science degree, which I intend to start in the new year provided all goes according to plan. There are some pre-requisites I have to meet first (namely math and physics), so whether it’s at the start of the year or mid-year is something I’ll be discussing with the university next week when I’m on campus.

3 Likes

That’s awesome, mate! Which uni you going to be at?

Possibly Flinders. It’s a decent 45-60 minute trip from here each morning, but after touring all the universities in SA, studying their courses and getting to know the faculty and some of the students, it’s the one I liked the most. Their engineering facilities are incredible too.

Welcome to Penny Scallon, I’m a finance officer with 20 years experience in receivables, payables and reconciliations, but now I answer the main customer service phone line, in between working on complex spreadsheets, stock and price analysis. How may I help you?

Still working on some details. Haven’t established whether to proceed with full-time study yet as there’s quite a bit to sort through still, and the timetable for full-time in engineering may be a bit much to handle to start with. Part time could be a better option for the first semester. I’ll need to revisit the campus and discuss that with them.

The other job isn’t exactly what I expected, but it’s still better, so I’ll continue to pursue that option as well.

After some harsh discussions, I’ve officially set my last day as an Apple technician as January 8th, 2019. After then, I’m off on whatever adventure comes next. If it works out, it works out. If it doesn’t, then it needed to happen anyway.

2 Likes

Congrats, @iMic! I’m sure things can only go up, and you will know what “bad” looks like for future.

Forgot to update this thread.

My finishing date was extended until January 30th, to cover another team member that was on annual leave. But I’m officially finished and out of the computer service business.

I’m rediscovering a passion of mine - classic electronics. Old school HiFi, VHS, game consoles, that sort of thing. It’s the complete opposite of what I’ve become accustomed to. Simple and primitive, but cheap and enjoyable.

I haven’t completely decided what comes next, but every plan remains on the table. I’m trying to determine my next steps, but not too hard, as for now I’m just enjoying being able to wake up in the morning without that feeling of overarching dread that I had become so used to.

5 Likes

My workplace’s latest initiative inline with their move to reduce waste eg single use plastic - staff must now take home their own garbage - ie if you bring lunch such as a pre packaged frozen meal from Woolies, you have to take the cardboard box and plastic tray home to dispose of - not company bins…

This initiative comes around 3 months after introducing recycling bins in the kitchen- which will now be removed.

Well that’s just moronic. You would think the provision of inadequate waste facilities would be a health and safety issue.

1 Like

Just had a quick look… can’t see anything on Worksafe. Could just flag them to come in anyways. We don’t have the “injured at work” WorkSafe poster that every workplace is meant to display for a start…

And we just had a bin inspection… unacceptable rubbish handed to the owner to take home

So very strange. It’s not even an initiative that reduces waste, it just redistributes it.

@frankie you’re not thinking like a team player. A team player would adjust their entire way of eating and drinking so as to avoid needing to discard rubbish, thus meeting the company goals.

:woozy_face:

1 Like