Apple's WWDC 2016 Event Wrap Up, We Knew Nothing Edition

Apple could easily relegate the setting to be hidden somewhere - like as a terminal comment or something. Just because some can’t handle it, doesn’t mean they should remove the ability completely…

I don’t know where this idea is coming from, Sierra has the same Gatekeeper settings as always. Runs unsigned apps just fine.

1 Like

[quote=“cosmichobo, post:11, topic:2392”]…macOS doesn’t allow non-Apple-approved Apps to run! (Ok, maybe there’s a work around, but still…)
[/quote]

They’ve removed the option to run unsigned apps in System Preferences, but it’s still there, same as it ever was, by right clicking on the app and choosing “Open” from the menu. You get a dialog box warning you that the sky may fall in, but all you have to do is click “Freedom from Tyranny” and you’re good to go.

1 Like

Mac Rumors:

“Anywhere” Dropped From Gatekeeper

Apple has removed the Gatekeeper option to allow apps to be downloaded
from “anywhere” by default in System Preferences > Security &
Privacy, resulting in a warning dialog when you attempt to open an app
from an unidentified developer. “Mac App Store” and “Mac App Store and
identified developers” remain selectable.

'Anywhere' option missing? Does OS X 10.12 fully disallow unsigned apps? #Gatekeeper #Sierra pic.twitter.com/yBfrhllaJA -  patrick wardle (@patrickwardle) June 14, 2016

Apps from unidentified developers can normally be opened by clicking the “Open Anyway” button
in System Preferences > Security & Privacy, but the macOS Sierra
release notes indicate that this button does not work in the first
beta. A workaround solution is to hold down the Control key, click on an
application, and choose “open.”

Admittedly this may only be the case for the first beta… and can be circumvented… But it’s not like they just disabled the option - they removed it…

May have been an oversight because its a beta, but it sounds like the sort of thing Apple would want to do…

Only from System Prefs. The behaviour is otherwise the same as it is now if you select “Mac App Store and identified developers” in Security & Privacy, which I do anyway, just a reminder to myself to be careful and to stop numpties from installing crap on the other machines I look after. All of which means that people like us can continue to run exactly what we want and your colleagues and relatives are slightly more secure.

Damn you and your logic, soulman! :wink:

Yes, my dad can use the safety net offered by the approved apps limitation…

But, the concern stands if this is in fact a move toward the Mac platform being dumbed down to iOS level… Oh wait… Welcome 2014…?

1 Like

I stand corrected on the System Prefs setting - but as @soulman mentions it’s still available via right click. I think it’s arguably better this way. Users who know what they’re doing will still know how to do it.

But does that mean right clicking and running it every single time?

Only once.

Well that is ok then, not ideal, but not as bad as I thought :slight_smile:

In more positive news, Picture in Picture on the Mac will be great! I look forward to it. I think universal clipboard will be good, will have to see it in practice.

Was only looking for one thing at WWDC and that was for Siri to be able to provide AFL information or at least expand to other non USA sports. But looks like sport does not have access to the Siri API and Apple is never going to do it internally.
Really disappointing that Siri hasn’t included other sports, especially considering Apples recent push into India where cricket is king.

Won’t third party apps now have Siri functionally through the Siri API ? Unless my understanding is completely out (which wouldn’t be surprising), if you have an Australian Sport App, shouldn’t the developer be able to make that function with siri now?

No, the Siri API will only work with six kinds of application: ride booking (think Uber), messaging, Photo Search (find photos and videos in a particular app), payments (‘Send $100 to John with SquareCash’), VoIP Calling (e.g: Skype) and Workouts (for starting health and fitness activities).
http://9to5mac.com/2016/06/14/how-siri-works-in-ios-10-for-third-party-apps-rich-integration-with-six-kinds-of-application/

That is disappointing! I thought from what they said at WWDC it was a proper Siri ApI :confused:

That was my impression too.

Seems a bit stupid of Apple to make such a big deal of opening up Siri and releasing the API only to limit its use. *facepalm*

I’d call that misleading! Seems to me that happens a lot.

What’s misleading?

This seems to be completely consistent with Apple’s approach to features - they get it working well with a small set and then they broaden it.

2 Likes

I agree - ‘Siri Api’ “We’ve opened up Siri to developers” is what I swear they said in the keynote…

Its hilariously sad that its taken this long to open Siri up, then its just a limited implementation…