Climate Change, and the case of the recalcitrant Liberals/Nationals

@MissionMan Think we agree on all points. :slight_smile: I was shocked when Andrews talked of taxing electric cars. I do appreciate the fact that fuel excise is being “missed” on electric cars, and long term, that creates a shortfall in maintaining roads etc etc. And, long term we do need to work out how that works, as ultimately it is were we are heading - one way or the other. (The big car makers will eventually stop making fuel cars, once the other parts of the world reach their D-Day). But, not quite sure how it should work…

The electric car thing really pissed me off when I read it recently. Though as @Oldmac points out - if you’re still using coal power to energise the car - you’re not really winning. I am hoping that VIC will push forward toward all renewables like SA.

What all levels of government need to do is work out the new reality of roof top solar, before it does cripple the entire system. For Australia, that has to be a big part of the equation, as we get so much sun here. Add in batteries, as is happening, and hopefully that’s got a big part to play in the move from fossils.

I don’t think reduction is ever going to work. It has to be renewable, and getting off the fossils.

@Geoff3DMN - I know a family that reduced down to 1 car, which they barely ever drive. They ride / walk everywhere. It works for them, as their high school aged kids go to a nearby school, and they both work nearby too, with close access to shops. They actually keep harassing my wife about the idea of selling one of our cars, but it just wouldn’t work for us, with 2 school drop offs, jobs 20-30min drive away, and whilst there’s a near enough Woolies, it isn’t a “full” store, so half the time doesn’t have what you need.

That said - I appreciate that it would suit many people, as well as being great exercise. I know plenty of people who would take the plunge, though smaller form electric cars I think will become a lot more common in the future, getting away from the great big 4wd cars that never leave the bitumen that have become dominant…

1 Like

Of note, charging an electric vehicle with conventional (dirty) electricity sources is still less polluting than an internal combustion engine due to the higher efficiencies of batteries and electric engines (I team in a Master’s program and this was a specific research topic the past term)

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up.

I guess until achieving renewable energy, it’s better than petrol engines… Though - still completely out of my price range to own an electric only vehicle. Looking online, apparently Aussies on average spend $27k on a car, so - it’s also way above most people.

And, as I did some math… ignoring Victoria’s tax… you only look to “save” I think around $2k/pa on fuel costs (or - I would), so it’s not as if you say look at it as being worth while long term. I’d have to keep the car a long time to pay for itself…

1 Like

My guess is that it will take 5 years or so until it reaches that point where the price comes down enough for affordability. Hybrids may be more suited to Australia short term as most drives will fall within the electric range and you have the petrol backup beyond that. My guess is that the only time we (personally) would exceed the hybrid electric range on most our drives would be going on holiday.

Interesting, as the Government’s website says that hybrids are less polluting than dirty electricity.

1 Like

There are quite a lot of these types of vehicles available in the US as well. As I have been looking on youtube for mobility scooters, they turn up in searches because they are small EVs… Some are very impressive!

I still think that 2 wheel electric scooters need to be legalised everywhere, seems to me there are lots of people who would prefer to use one + bus or train, than have to run a car. I would have used one in my more stable days. Of course the legislation needs to be sorted but really, it just needs time and sensible thought.

2 Likes

There are already a fair amount of proper sit-down scooters which are legal. If you’re planning to use something to commute, his might be a better option as the range is longer, you can put something under the seat, carry wet weather gear etc.

They start at about $4000 and have finance available like a normal motorbike. The big advantage with these is the very low maintenance costs. You only really have to worry about tyres. Range is around 100km on the low end models.

Much nicer looking than a scooter these are…

https://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/details/2020-super-soco-tc/OAG-AD-19116020/?Cr=34

Yeah I know about those, some are very decent but not for someone with balance issues :slight_smile: I’m a bit more wobbly than I was when younger, and a walking stick is a permanent part of my apparel these days, and I have a wheelie walker as well though it doesn’t get a lot of use. If I get a 4 wheel mobility scooter, I’ll be paying around the same, between $2500 and $5000 and it will get me everywhere I need to go, though not necessarily everywhere I want to go. No more beach photography unless I can persuade a friend to take me there at sunrise :slight_smile: Fat chance!