Double return ignored?

G’day,

I’m old school. Was taught by my typing teacher that a new paragraph requires 2 strokes of the return key.

Recently I’ve noticed that this site seems to ignore the 2nd return, requiring me to press the key again.

I don’t think it’s because I am hitting the key too rapidly for it to be perceived by the computer as a 2nd key press - no other app/site/etc has an issue with my typing.

Is this a “thing” here?

Or am I just a little nuts?

cheers

cosmic

1 Like

Just giving it a go

typing something and going double-tap return.

works for me

:wink:

You might need to adjust your key repeat and delay settings.

This definitely isn’t a thing I’ve come across. Does it happen on any other Discourse sites, eg Meta (meta.discourse.org, I think)?

Maybe it’s my old age, or keyboard… I just have noticed it over the past 1-2 months and as I know HTML doesn’t favour a double return, maybe it was becoming a thing…

Ok.

So, it’s not my keyboard, nor my typing skills.

It is in fact this site / forum software (but it’s not malicious modern typing golems trying to remove double return carriages from existence…).

It happens when I type an emoji, then hit [return] [return] to carry to a new paragraph.

Whilst the software decodes the emoji, it then “misses” my extra return key press.

Just figured it out whilst writing another post.

:slight_smile:

(Also happens if you enter someone’s name with the @ symbol then hit return+return. Normally of course, following someone’s name you should use a full stop, so this is entirely my laxness.)