eSIM support from Australian telcos

I’m not sure how they’re enforcing that?

Do both numbers have to be post paid AND with Optus or is it enough to have a cheap (for example) $8.99 Exetel ‘Post Paid’ SIM when you go to get the eSIM activated?

In the second example they’d never know if the ‘Exetel’ Post Paid service was cancelled and swapped for an overseas SIM (just one scenario).

If both the SIM and the eSIM have to be post paid AND with Optus then they could flag it if you let the SIM lapse (and in theory they could disable the account for the eSIM).

I guess we’ll find out soon…

I am interested because I’d like to be able to use a 2nd SIM for overseas use in my iPhone.

1 Like

The way I read the Optus FAQ is that yes, both the physical SIM and the virtual SIM must be Optus PostPaid, but I have read that anecdotally that this is not actually the case,

1 Like

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/esim-for-iphone-what-you-need-to-know?requestType=NormalRequest&id=10249&typeId=5

This sort of reads like I can choose to have only an eSim which would allow me to add in a physical SIM at anytime. The question is, is it worth trading off the ability to change your main SIM into another phone quickly and easily in order to drop in a secondary?

Further, is it limited to only pairs of SIMS from the same carrier (Optus in this case) or can I drop in a US/UK based SIM (or Telstra/Voda)?

My particular use case would be my own personal phone with eSIM then dropping the work provided SIM into the phone so I don’t have to carry two phones. Also if travelling OS it would be very handy to just drop an extra SIM into your main phone.

I do wonder if this has any effect on iMessages and what numbers are tied to your account?

I read the statement on the Optus page as “Why would you want two numbers from anyone other than Optus? We’re not exactly going to promote an easy way for you to find better coverage/speed/inclusions”

There was a post on Whirlpool that stated that someone had successfully gotten their eSIM activated with Optus whilst their 2nd post paid SIM was with Telstra.

I guess if you did that you could remove your second post paid SIM at some point and replace it with an overseas one.

Next week I’m going to go into my local Optus store with my Xr and Optus SIM (which is on a SIM only post paid contract) and take my Exetel SIM (which Exetel state is a post paid service) and see what happens…

I’ve also now helped by rolling out a map which allows you to find locations that have the eSIM packs available in stores the map is available here.

Does anyone know how calls and texts work with an Apple Watch? If your phone has 2 lines, will the watch show notifications for both? Can you configure the watch to only show notifications for one line and not the other?

This Apple Support Article may answer some of your questions or it may not.

Vodafone now offers eSIM support for the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR, as well as the latest iPads.

1 Like

Can’t believe Telstra refuse to introduce support for eSiM.

Did you presume that Vodafone refused to support eSIM?

I’m talking about Telstra.

What evidence do you have that Telstra refuses to support eSIM?

The fact that they don’t support it?

If on August 12, you had have said, “Can’t believe Vodafone refuse to introduce support for eSiM.”, not only would you have had no evidence to back up your claim, 24 hours later your assertion would have been wrong.

Provide evidence that Telstra have said that they will not support eSIM. Otherwise, the correct and actual situation is that Telstra currently do not support eSIM. Have they been slack? Absolutely. Will they eventually support eSIM? I am confident they will.

Telstra only currently support ESIM for Apple Watch, and Surface Pro LTE. They don’t currently support any other phone that may have ESIM (Apple or otherwise). But, as with anything, watch this space.

I would hope so considering they’re on the working group.

1 Like

I have it on good authority that Telstra will begin supporting eSIMs for iPhones soon, probably within the next 1-2 weeks.

I’m also led to believe the process will work similarly to what the other carriers are doing, in that you’ll need to order/buy an eSIM “package” which contains instructions for activation, even though there’s technically no reason for any in-person contact whatsoever.

You heard it here first!

2 Likes

Breaking news exclusive!

What did I tell you? Telstra never refused to support eSIM, Telstra never said they refused to support eSIM. They just took their time, which I agree is disappointing, but for us tech-heads, and especially those of us like me that work in IT, the pace of technology and support for technology will never match our hopes and expectations.

1 Like