"Fall 2021" events

Interesting. My reasons for wearing are that I need falls detection (becoming very unsteady on my pegs) and I want high and low HR alerts. I also want those sleep trcking apps.

Occasionally I have issues, between the two. Like I’ve gotten up and the phone hasn’t unlocked the watch (although I’m sure I’ve used the phone since putting the watch on) so then (of course) the watch doesn’t unlock the phone.

Generally though, once that first unlock cycle has been done and confirmed it seems to work perfectly.

I use the phone sometimes as a novelty :stuck_out_tongue: Although lately I have identified that the phone is often easier when in a drive through food place since my watch it on my left hand it’s awkward to reach across yourself and out the window. Of course, then I’m left struggling to enter the PIN on the phone to enable payments :frowning:

Similar story here, I stopped wearing watch because my phone was my calendar and I spend all day getting reminders and going to meetings so was always aware of the time.

I tried wearing my old mechanical watch to see if I would actually use a watch and found that I was still looking at the phone unless I went out of my way to look at the watch. A bit of a disaster really so I didn’t get a watch at launch… My wife was already sold so got a Series 0 at launch and I was pretty quickly convinced and ended up with a Series 0 too.

Since then I’ve had the Series 3 Cellular which was a huuuuuuuge step up from the Series 0. I didn’t really use the cellular so didn’t keep it when I upgraded to a Series 5 and while it’s not a deal breaker, I do miss bits of it. Like walking away from the phone and missing stuff because it’s out of range which does happen surprisingly often. Is it worth the extra $150 and $5 / month?? Maybe.

Assuming new phones and watches with a new matching design, I will consider both :smiley:

The iPhone 6S and A9 does!

And the A8X has supported 8.

I do agree though I expect a mass dropping of devices with iOS 16 - much like how iOS 12 had supported so far back (A7 devices) and then iOS 13 dropped the iPhone 5S, 6, iPad Air1, iPad mini 1 and 2.

1 Like

It is rare that I am 100% wrong, but this is one such time. You are absolutely correct!

I assumed iOS 15 would not support the iPhone 6S (and SE Gen1), but I was wrong. So yes, the iPhone 6S (and SE Gen1) will have supported iOS 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15.

I don’t keep a close eye on iPads or their chips, but yes, the iPad Air 2 (with A8X) will also surprisingly get iPad OS 15 support after having being initially released with iOS 8.

I wonder if this is a sign of things to come regarding device/chip longevity.

1 Like

I really hope so! The longer devices can be supported and given security updates the better!

Though it would be great if Apple offered the option to downgrade, so users could choose speed vs security/features.

2 Likes

I wear my Apple Watch 24/7 except for the 1 hour before bed to charge it up, and 15 minutes when I wake up to brush my teeth.

I’m looking forward to the new iPhone and Apple Watch.

1 Like

Yes and yes!
The unlock while wearing my Watch only works sometimes; and why it doesnt extend to Apple pay is beyond me.

The work around is to just pay with your watch instead.

1 Like

I love my Watch 6 and also wear it 23-hours p/d, so wont hesitant to upgrade.

It will be for sale here is anyone wants it! :grin:

I wear mine from the minute I wake up until the minute I go to bed, unless I’m a) doing long form typing (it gets a bit irritating sometimes) or b) working in a server cabinet (don’t want to scratch it!).

Honest to god, thought this was a joke… iPod Touch? That’s still a thing? I thought Apple had abandoned them ages ago. Now I see I’m wrong.

A bit disappointed that Touch ID isn’t coming back to the iPhone 13 as either under the screen or in the power button and also that the 120hz screens aren’t coming to the non Pro iPhones.

Given the iPhone Mini 13 is apparently going to be the last of the Mini series, I was thinking of getting one and selling my 12 Mini to my Mum. Not keen on a future where the smallest size is the gigantian phablet 6.1 size :frowning:

1 Like

You may have seen there have been some recent rumours that the iPhone 14 might see a return of Touch ID, but we won’t know for sure until this time next year. I am likely to upgrade next year.

I find the iPhone line-up very disappointing, and the less said about the price points the better.

Yeah the return of Touch ID but with the smallest size being the 6.1 :frowning:

Good event on the whole. Nice to see the iPad mini get some love. Like the look of the new watch. Still wish there was an iPhone 13 Pro mini. Sigh. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Got the time wrong for this one, so I ended up missing the first two-thirds, and started watching the stream just in time for the iPhone 13 Pro.

Pretty surprised Apple went back and updated the iPad mini, but otherwise a solid round of incremental upgrades all round.

Really glad they kept the flat-edge design of the iPhones for another year; having skipped the iPhone 12, I’ll be gladly jumping on the iPhone with the best design come Friday.

Yeah :frowning: Last chance of getting an iPhone Mini with 120hz and Touch ID back gone :’(

I don’t really see much need for either to be honest. I want the telephoto camera WAY more than Touch ID or 120hz. I have an Apple Watch so basically don’t miss having Touch ID even when I’m wearying a mask.

Apple MacBook event next week #woohoo

My credit card is ready. Bring on new MacBook Pros!

Would also love new Mac mini’s because the server I have kinda needs replacing.

The 2020 M1 Mac mini only supports 16 GB RAM however the high-end Mac mini that supports 64 GB RAM is now 36 months old, so we should expect to see that updated.

So this will mean the transition ffrom Intel to Apple silicon will be complete for Mac mini, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and 24" iMac. Next year should see the final transition for the larger iMac (rumoured 30") and possibly even the Mac Pro.