Good Wifi Router?

this is a great discussion - we’re with Aussie BB and have their standard Netcom modem connected to NBN but I am thinking of a mesh system as its in our understaff studio/cupboard where all the ethernet points terminate so the wifi signal gets weaker as you go upstairs/around the house. Will check out the Deco M5, looks like it has some pretty nice features. Hopefully plays nice with home automation.

Deco is the easiest system to set up. Very happy with mine

Howdy!

Is the Deco M5 still a good choice for a WiFi Mesh setup?

We’re finally in our new house, and iiNet was connected today. I had it connected into my office, which is at one end of the house. At the other end of the house, connection via Wifi is pretty poor… (at least - it is on iPhones, and my son’s laptop… I’m writing now on my 2014 Macbook Air and it’s showing full bars?)

Cheers

cosmic

Just been reading up… going to try get the M9 3 pack instead. Better longevity, and hopefully can get it for about $350.

That’s a lot of money!

It’s an easier sell…

Hey wife, can I spend $350 so you can get wifi in your favourite spot on the sofa…

innocent smile

It’s apparently a high end mesh system, so hopefully will cover all 5 of us whether we are on iPads or Plex or Disney etc etc…

Apparently just got delivered so I’ll let you know what I think soon.

$350 for a 3 node mesh system is actually entry level pricing. Most mesh system start around $500.
Netgear’s top of the line mesh system with 3 nodes is around $2800.

I am waiting for the WIFI 7 systems that will start coming out this as initial information seems to indicate a more broader inclusion of 10gbe ports.

1 Like

It was easy enough to set up… and I see it also offers to do some fine tuning of positions, which I’ll do when we’ve properly sorted all the boxes / furniture out.

It was giving me speeds of 90mbps / 40mbps… so I figure that’s pretty good.

I haven’t had the pleasure of a mesh system, but I like the simplicity of mesh systems to set up, especially for non tech people. Out of interest, what’s the speed differential when you’re closest to the base station vs near the furthest mesh point?

Like many people I’ve run the cycle of individual devices, all in one devices and back to individual devices. It just makes things easier to replace/upgrade individual parts in a trade off for a little more complexity or potentially setup time and cost.
If you have your own home, I really like ceiling-mounted WAPs. We have two Unifi units, one at each end of the house, and they have WAF since they are basically unseen while also providing excellent coverage and speeds across the whole house. Recently I upgraded the one in the lounge room (where the wife mostly sits) with a WiFi 6 unit which was plug and play and very conveniently fit the old mounting point :slight_smile:
If I remember correctly @decryption was running one of these in a roof cavity so it really was completely unseen.

1 Like

Without any proper adjustments etc I was getting a steady 90/40 mbps speed tests (built into the app) around the house when I briefly tested it. That’s coming off cable broadband.

Interesting idea about in-ceiling instal - I have easy access to the ceiling via a half-door in my upstairs bathroom… (the axe murderer door, my wife calls it…)

The app offers to do further assessment using static sounding or something… when the house is set up properly I’ll check it out.